Lufthansa Express AirRail procedures [merged]

Old Nov 12, 2008, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by redstripeflyer
What is the latest train that I can take from Stuttgart to make my transcon flight from FRA? My flight leaves for JFK from FRA at 1700 / 5 pm on Thursday Nov 20. I plan to take the AIRail service for a trip from Stuttgart to Frankfurt.

The LH website seems to list a subset of the trains that I see on http://www.bahn.de/international/vie...s/airail.shtml

How close should I cut it, and which train to take? I'll be in LH Business class.
THANKS
Wouldn't cut it close when DB is involved. Trains are usually late and mis-connections frequent. When heading for the airport I always take one train earlier than necessary.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: HHonors, US, UA, Marriott
Thomas,
Thanks so much for the info. Before reading your posting, it was unclear to me whether the AIRail was a subset of the 'regular' trains. I was eyeing the 13.51 or 14.51, especially as I have no checked luggage, and will be flying in Business class on LH for my flight to JFK.

*Question - am I able to print my LH boarding pass at ZWS if I do not use their AIRail service? I assume that I will have to clear security in FRA after my train when I get there.

Regards

Originally Posted by tmeyer
@redstripeflyer
If you need to be on a Airrail service you will have to leave at 13.27 in ZWS
getting you at 14.38 into FRA

Consider "normal trains" departing ZWS at 13.51 or 14.51 (change in MHG required for this one). The 14.51 would be to tight for my taste, but depending on Class of travel, luggage... might be possible.

Thomas
Old Nov 12, 2008, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will arrive at the FRA ICE long distance train station. It is a 5-10 minute walk to get to terminal A/B/C. There are checkin terminals close to the train station too.
Security clearance is in the main terminal in FRA of course.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:31 am

1. Do the AIRail and non-AIRail trains both arrive at the same long distance train station? The map below states 'AIRail station', so it's a bit unclear to me.
2. More importantly, can I utilize the Lufthansa Quick Check-in and regular facilities shown in the link below if I take non-AIRail service on the ICE?
http://tinyurl.com/5zoshn

Thanks all
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Do the AIRail and non-AIRail trains both arrive at the same long distance train station? The map below states 'AIRail station', so it's a bit unclear to me.
2. More importantly, can I utilize the Lufthansa Quick Check-in and regular facilities shown in the link below if I take non-AIRail service on the ICE?

Thanks all
AIRailis just a fancy name for a seat on DB's ICE trains.... now in 2nd class ...
All of these ICE trains arrive at the same long distance train stations (Fernbahnhof). LH check-in is between the station and terminal as indicated in the scetch.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:42 am

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
(...)

To answer you second question clearly:
Originally Posted by Rambuster
LH check-in is between the station and terminal as indicated in the scetch.
.. and can be used by all LH passengers!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:27 pm

At the Stuttgart train station, can I utilize the Lufthansa Check-in facilities if I take non-AIRail service on the ICE? This would seem to be a good way to save time ahead of my train to FRA.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:08 pm

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
At the Stuttgart train station, can I utilize the Lufthansa Check-in facilities if I take non-AIRail service on the ICE? This would seem to be a good way to save time ahead of my train to FRA.
If you're SEN or HON, no issues, they will call FRA to check you in. If you're not, you need to check-in either via Web or Phone and then you can pick up your boarding pass at the station.

But that may not be a standard procedure, and only available to friendly people
Old Nov 30, 2008, 4:02 am

BP for travel originating from FRA printed at ZWS ?

@alfahund

Does ZWS checkin staff in such a situation (you departing from Stuttgart Railway station for Frankfurt Airport by train or returning a rental car, but not being an airrail pax) also prints (for friendly people only, of course) the real BP with origin FRA or do they just check you in and allocate a seat, so that your BP still has to be issued by a machine or a counter at FRA ???
Old Nov 30, 2008, 5:24 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold
Hi,

it seems like the CGN/ QKL Airail is more important to LH than the STR/ ZWS Airail.

All the 'enhancements' to Airail are done on the Cologne leg. To Stuttgart they are cutting down step by step.
Since the start of Stuttgart Airail there was the last departure at 17.27 and only every two hours a train. OK, this is based on the DB timetable, as the as Airail used ICE line doesn't provide more connections.

Since October 2007 the train at 15.27 is no more airail anymore. And so the Airail counter in Stuttgart is closed from 2 pm to 4 pm.

For late departures ex FRA (Asia, ...) is Airail ex Stuttgart no option, because of the long connection time in FRA.

The Airail is great idea in my optionen, because it's a hassle traveling to this airport ('Flughäfele') in Echterdingen, if you stay downtown.
And the dining car is great benefit of the ICE - just staying there, never sitting on my assigned place.

But because of this 2 hours timetable and the missing trains I often fly again ex STR...

Best regards,

taigatrommel
Old Nov 30, 2008, 7:06 am

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Originally Posted by taigatrommel
All the 'enhancements' to Airail are done on the Cologne leg. To Stuttgart they are cutting down step by step.
Sorry for saying this, but I won't wonder when the real reason for the cut-backs is the dramatically decreasing reliability of the DB Bahn-timetable.

I would even not wonder when LH will restart to offer FRA-CGN-flights soon. It would really be interesting to know how many LH-airrail-passengers have to deal every day with missed connections because of heavily delayed or cancelled ICEs...

A friend of me didn't have luck some days ago - and now I hope that he won't get troubles when he has to fly back from RGN via BKK to FRA on Dec 9th...

Sorry for speaking that negative about the global playing logistic company "DB Bahn" - but my quote of being heavily delayed (20 min. or more) or stranded with them is at calculated 100,0% in 2008...
Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by taigatrommel

it seems like the CGN/ QKL Airail is more important to LH than the STR/ ZWS Airail.
Don't forget that Stuttgart still has flights to FRA, Cologne doesn't. Cologne is a little larger population wise, so I assume there might be a little more demand.

Also, LH is doing a "good" job in cutting service from here as well. We used to be able to check bags which everybody knows but now we have to schlep them all the way to FRA.
I have to say though that the frequency to FRA is quite good but with the DB performance, I still dislike Airrail. If possible, I always fly via MUC or go to DUS to fly from there to FRA.

I would be happy to get the CGN-FRA flights back and have Airrail concentrate on Stuttgart again

By the way, did anybody realize that LH cut MUC-CGN frequency or am I just looking at fancy days? (random Friday in January)
Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:42 am

very helpful staff

I just went through ZWS a couple weeks ago onwards to FRA. The very helpful LH rep mentioned that I might want to take a regular DB train to FRA since the AIRail train was scheduled to leave after the next 2 DB trains. I like that she didn't try to sell me on the AIRail service. I had plenty of time before my flight out of FRA so I did not ask about printing a BP ...especially since I didn't have much time to catch the next DB train to FRA via Manheim I think.
Originally Posted by juan516
@alfahund

Does ZWS checkin staff in such a situation (you departing from Stuttgart Railway station for Frankfurt Airport by train or returning a rental car, but not being an airrail pax) also prints (for friendly people only, of course) the real BP with origin FRA or do they just check you in and allocate a seat, so that your BP still has to be issued by a machine or a counter at FRA ???
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:24 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold
Hi

I totally agree, cutting down the baggage service was big step down. And with the bad DB performance, Airail doesn't make sense.

But the interessting fact is: for Cologne there no own LH flights left over, so LH depends totally on the DB, but on this line the performance of the trains (punctuality) is really bad.
On leg to Stuttgart, the punctuality of the trains is quite good - no ICE3 axle problems and the used ICE line begins in Stuttgart, so trains are mostly on time. At least on the way to FRA.
Neverless the service level of this leg decreases by LH: lower frequency and so one. Perhaps they still promoting their own flights (at least 6 per day out of STR).
I'm just wondering, because for Cologne LH made a clear cut, and the flights were suspended. For Stuttgart it seems like, they try to suspend the Airail and keep the flights.

Best regards,

taigatrommel

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Don't forget that Stuttgart still has flights to FRA, Cologne doesn't. Cologne is a little larger population wise, so I assume there might be a little more demand.

Also, LH is doing a "good" job in cutting service from here as well. We used to be able to check bags which everybody knows but now we have to schlep them all the way to FRA.
I have to say though that the frequency to FRA is quite good but with the DB performance, I still dislike Airrail. If possible, I always fly via MUC or go to DUS to fly from there to FRA.

I would be happy to get the CGN-FRA flights back and have Airrail concentrate on Stuttgart again

By the way, did anybody realize that LH cut MUC-CGN frequency or am I just looking at fancy days? (random Friday in January)
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:08 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
No more QKCI in Siegburg:

5/115: 12.03.09 Automaten Check-In in Siegburg/Bonn entfällt zum April 2009

Für den Check-in auf der AIRail Strecke von Köln über Siegburg/Bonn nach Frankfurt
gilt ab 1. April 2009 folgendes:

* Am Bahnhof Siegburg/Bonn entfällt die Möglichkeit am Check-In Automaten einzuchecken.
* Reisende ab Siegburg/Bonn checken schnell und komfortabel online ein:
bereits 23 Stunden vor Abflug können die Gäste online ihren Sitzplatz auswählen und die Online Bordkarte bequem am eigenen Computer ausdrucken. Vorteil für den Gast: je früher er eincheckt, umso größer ist die zur Verfügung stehende Auswahl an Sitzplätzen für seinen Flug ab Frankfurt.
* Beim Online Check-In wird, wie auch bisher beim Automaten Check-In, aus technischen Gründen Köln als Abfahrtsort genannt. Natürlich können Reisende trotzdem weiterhin in Siegburg/Bonn zusteigen.
* In den CRS erscheint bei Buchung eines Zuges FRA-QKL vv. mit Datum ab dem 1.April ab sofort folgende Meldung:
„NO CKI AT SIEGBURG STATION ONLINE CKI ONLY”.

Bei Rückfragen wenden Sie sich bitte an die Ihnen bekannten Ansprechpartner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.