Wiki Posts
Search

Ongoing problems with OS(VO) Bombardier DASH 8/400

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by GreatDane
FYI: This just in:
SAS just announced from a live press conference in stockholm that all DASH8-Q400 are now permanently retired from the SAS fleet. They can not live with the damage to their image and corporate brand as a safe airline by keeping these AC in their fleet. So 27 AC up for sale - any takers?
Anyway a wise decision in my opinion.^
Exactly. Very wise from SAS ^

Will be interesting to see who is going to buy those birds and how long it will take SAS to replace them with different models.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:31 pm

Programs: LH FTL *S, UA 1P *G
This is a very brave decision by SAS considering that they operate 27 of those aircrafts and the resulting commercial problems SAS will face.

Anyhow the Bombardier reaction is somewhat between ridicolous and suicidal. They recommend to keep Dash8 in operation and attack SAS. This can be followed up in the SAS Eurobonus Forum.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:34 pm

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by testero
This is a very brave decision by SAS considering that they operate 27 of those aircrafts and the resulting commercial problems SAS will face.
The reaction from OS/VO and IQ will be interesting once the proper business week gets going. That a partner airline scraps a fleet of aircraft as unusable, and that they are grounded by Scandinavian aircraft authorities might make the liability insurers feel rather uneasy.

The first airline that will have an accident that results in more than a few bruises may face significant trouble in court...
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:40 am

Programs: LH FTL *S, UA 1P *G
For sure the media now have a special view on the Dash 8. Nevertheless a new incident.

An AUA Dash had to abort starting procedure in Vienna today due to a propeller problem.

German website with more information:

http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/...514634,00.html
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:22 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
For sure the media now have a special view on the Dash 8. Nevertheless a new incident.

An AUA Dash had to abort starting procedure in Vienna today due to a propeller problem.

German website with more information:

http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/...514634,00.html
I have more then 200 flights with the OS Dash 8-400. We had a lot of technical problems with this aircraft, also some aborting starts. Let´s see, what happens with the aircraft after the report of the flight accident commission will be finished.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 1:43 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Additionally, according to all press-reports I overlooked I assume that the flight was just cancelled because the aircraft went tech on the ground. Nowhere a sign of an "incident". I would not wonder if there was a journalist on board...

That "aborded take-off" occured on Monday, b.t.w.

I think, in the near future we can read about every small irregularity of a Dash 8.

Here an actual press release of OS about that topic:

CLICK

(My recent flight on such a bird to LNZ went very well, b.t.w...)
Old Oct 31, 2007, 5:16 pm

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by szg
I have more then 200 flights with the OS Dash 8-400. We had a lot of technical problems with this aircraft, also some aborting starts. Letīs see, what happens with the aircraft after the report of the flight accident commission will be finished.
The big difference goes between "annoying" issues that lead to schedule irregularities and "dangerous" issues that lead to aborted take-offs, emergency landings and the like.

This autumn the Q400 issues have moved from the former to latter category.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:27 pm

ediYank -
As a former pilot, you seem to know a lot about these plans and have some first hand knowledge. I'm doing a research project on the Q400. I'd like to contact you directly, and not in this public forum. How can I do that?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by RHQ400
ediYank -
As a former pilot, you seem to know a lot about these plans and have some first hand knowledge. I'm doing a research project on the Q400. I'd like to contact you directly, and not in this public forum. How can I do that?
Click on his handle and send him a Private Message!

Welcome to FT by the way!
Old May 23, 2008, 6:50 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by szg
You have more luck than I. When we had a lot of problems with the Dash8-400, I missed about 10 intercontinental flights at FRA !!!

Just on Monday they changed the Dash8-400 (went technical) to a Dash8-300 on my VIE-SZG flight!! OS has still a lot of problems with this aircraft.
Last Monday - OS cancelled my SZG-VIE flight because of a technical problem.
Old May 23, 2008, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by szg
Last Monday - OS cancelled my SZG-VIE flight because of a technical problem.
And I guess OS doesn't have the money to get replacements.
Old May 23, 2008, 7:12 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
And I guess OS doesn't have the money to get replacements.
What OS is doing, that they use now an A321 on SZG-VIE-SZG instead of the DASH 8-400/300 at the EM 2008.
Old May 23, 2008, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by szg
What OS is doing, that they use now an A321 on SZG-VIE-SZG instead of the DASH 8-400/300 at the EM 2008.
Can they justify the increase of capacity with bookings or is it just to make sure they don't have any technical problems?
Old May 23, 2008, 9:26 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Can they justify the increase of capacity with bookings or is it just to make sure they don't have any technical problems?
Thatīs the question. I think more of the technical problems !!
Old Feb 13, 2009, 6:44 am

Just read this, unfortunately:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7887555.stm

Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 aircraft, operated by Colgan Air for Continental Airlines, flying from Newark airport in New Jersey to Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.