Community
Wiki Posts
Search

long haul cash upgrade at gate? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:27 am

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
If you don't find any arrengement on the ground (it's difficult in ZRH), ask the purser (maitre de cabine) for an onboard-upgrade. Expect a price at about 1500 CHF, and be aware that the flight ZRH-BOM has old biz (no comparison with Economy, though).
Old Feb 7, 2008, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by weero
My experience too with LH.

But for LX there are noteworthy exceptions to this, say ex BKK: BKK-SIN was ~240 CHF in Z and ~1240 in A. And airport buy-up was 3000 THB which is a great deal. Not worth it for the 90 minutes but still a cool thing if one is as obsessed with the moving Ottoman as I am.
Sh.... I have always upgraded in the last time but using miles....... So paying 15.000 miles and receiving Business miles only, instead of paying the 60 Euros and earning F miles...

Has anyone yet tried this for the other way round, i.e. SIN-BKK, and can tell me if it works/how much it is?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM RCC, DL 2MM/FC, Marriott PL
Gate Upgrades for UA 1K on Swissair route ZRH-NBO?

I'm flying next week on Swissair, Zurich to Nairobi in coach. The res agent told me that while it would cost over 3 grand to upgrade to C now, there are sometimes buy-up upgrade fares at the gate on the day of travel. She did not know if/how this may be affected by my being a UA 1K (or a UA flier at all).

Anybody have any insights about what to expect, or suggestions on how to make an upgrade happen for a non-M&M flier but UA1K flier?

Last edited by TH-PDX; Mar 8, 2008 at 2:36 pm
Old Mar 8, 2008, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Unlikely to happen so don't expect anything. BTW it is Swiss, Swissair is long gone.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 2:51 pm

Thanks for the reality check. You can see how long it's been since I've flown on their planes (20 years?)...
Old Mar 8, 2008, 3:01 pm

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by TH-PDX
I'm flying next week on Swissair, Zurich to Nairobi in coach. The res agent told me that while it would cost over 3 grand to upgrade to C now, there are sometimes buy-up upgrade fares at the gate on the day of travel. She did not know if/how this may be affected by my being a UA 1K (or a UA flier at all).

Anybody have any insights about what to expect, or suggestions on how to make an upgrade happen for a non-M&M flier but UA1K flier?

Yes in ZRH there are upgrades you can buy at the gate/transit center. They are based on milaeage flown. Simply go to the transfer counter and buy the upgrade there...normally they will call the gate to insure the number of c/f meals is properly loaded and then sell you the upgrade.

Furthermore, you can alwasy purchase an upgrade on board from the Maitre de cabine by using cash.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 3:15 pm

Thanks for the info, SQ. Any idea what sort of cost I should expect, if available?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:17 pm

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Red face

Originally Posted by TH-PDX
Thanks for the info, SQ. Any idea what sort of cost I should expect, if available?
Sure...considering GVA/ZRH is about CHF150.00 and ZRH/IST is CHF350.00...I'm guessing CHF800.00 or maybe CHF650.00

Also, when you check-in or before you check-in in ZRH, you can go to the Swiss Tickets desk and ask about "last minute upgrade." Sometimes the rate is lower there in my opinion. I don't know why and always the onboard upgrade from the Maitre de cabine is higher.

This should be no problem for you to do. It was normal Swissair and now Swiss I.A. practice: not a favour just SOP.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:49 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
you can buy an upgrade with cash onboard LX? Is that unique among airlines?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Executive, bmi DC, BA Exec, CO OnePass, AClub Gold
i am interested in this as well for my ZRH-HKG flight. 650CHF seems pretty cheap, but I bet this is unlikely. When I fly the route I will let you know what it is. I have never heard of an upgrade onboard an aircraft before though using cash!?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TA
you can buy an upgrade with cash onboard LX?
In small, unmarked bills... (Or, for eBay fans, think of it as really only giving away a clean white envelope.)
Old Mar 9, 2008, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by TA
BA has upgrade on board option. Fairly pricey though (much more than numbers mentioned here). And of course such upgrades are last to be served food/drink and do not get extra class of service mileage.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by TA
BA does it. And there's lots of under the table upgrades on Ethiopian, KQ, and others.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Swiss gives invites to BA Club in NBO for *A Gold departees. Since this is out of the norm, you might ask about it if it is not offered. I got it last year as a 1P. Not great, but waaaay above the NBO departure longue......
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:55 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by nzpilot
Swiss gives invites to BA Club in NBO for *A Gold departees. Since this is out of the norm, you might ask about it if it is not offered. I got it last year as a 1P. Not great, but waaaay above the NBO departure longue......
They gave without asking when I departed NBO in November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.