Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Munich First Class Lounge [MUC FCL]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2007, 4:46 am

Programs: BA
Hi all, just wanted to let you know about my slightly sour experience atthe MUC FCL.....

I arrived at the FCL off LH415 from IAD at about 1000, connecting to my LHR flight departing at 1310. I was told my flight would be departing from a remote gate so I was to be driven to the aircraft, and I should return to reception at 1250. So far so good.

Over the next couple of hours, I had a lovely shower, a nice lunch (not as good as FRA FCT IMHO) and did some work on my laptop. As requested, at 1245 I pack up all my things and at 1250 present myself at the reception desk. The lady tells me the driver is not back yet, and that I should take a seat in the lounge and they will come and get me. Fine.

1255....1300....1305..... finally at 1308 the driver arrives (flight scheduled to deaprt in 2 minutes!). We make it down to the Cayenne and eventually arrive at the aircraft at 1317. I look up to see the pilot glaring at me. I walk up the stairs to be met by the purser telling me that I'm very late and was about to be offloaded. Apparently I am lucky to be allowed on as I'm so late, and the pilot wanted to offload me!!

I told her I was waiting for my driver, but she seemed less than impressed with my 'excuse'. As soon as I was onboard, the doors were closed and we left. Luckily I was in row 1, as I could feel every passenger onboard looking at me in dusgust with that "you've kept us waiting" expression on their faces.

A very disappointing end to what was otherwise fabulous LH F ground service in FRA and MUC.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 5:15 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
Hi all, just wanted to let you know about my slightly sour experience atthe MUC FCL.....

I arrived at the FCL off LH415 from IAD at about 1000, connecting to my LHR flight departing at 1310. I was told my flight would be departing from a remote gate so I was to be driven to the aircraft, and I should return to reception at 1250. So far so good.

Over the next couple of hours, I had a lovely shower, a nice lunch (not as good as FRA FCT IMHO) and did some work on my laptop. As requested, at 1245 I pack up all my things and at 1250 present myself at the reception desk. The lady tells me the driver is not back yet, and that I should take a seat in the lounge and they will come and get me. Fine.

1255....1300....1305..... finally at 1308 the driver arrives (flight scheduled to deaprt in 2 minutes!). We make it down to the Cayenne and eventually arrive at the aircraft at 1317. I look up to see the pilot glaring at me. I walk up the stairs to be met by the purser telling me that I'm very late and was about to be offloaded. Apparently I am lucky to be allowed on as I'm so late, and the pilot wanted to offload me!!

I told her I was waiting for my driver, but she seemed less than impressed with my 'excuse'. As soon as I was onboard, the doors were closed and we left. Luckily I was in row 1, as I could feel every passenger onboard looking at me in dusgust with that "you've kept us waiting" expression on their faces.

A very disappointing end to what was otherwise fabulous LH F ground service in FRA and MUC.
Big to the ground staff and the FAs. If they weren't able to provide a driver they should have apologised and asked you to go to the gate. And clearly, the crew did not yet know about the FCL chauffeur service. Why blame you and not LH ground staff?

SmilingBoy.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum, US Air Gold, Starwood Platinum
Hi, all!

As a relative newbie--to this forum, not to Flyertalk--I'd like to ask two questions:

1. Does a business-class ticket entitle me to enter the FCL in JFK and in Munich?

2. What is the "Schengen" section? Will there be signs for it as I exit the aircraft? Am I right in assuming that if I do have access to the lounge, I can go through passport control there? (I'm a U.S. national)

Thanks to any and all who "stoop" to answer so basic a question--for you're all obviously very experienced and sophisticated LH flyers!
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by woolfcross
1. Does a business-class ticket entitle me to enter the FCL in JFK and in Munich?
Why would a business class ticket provide access to the first class lounge?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:39 pm

Whilst absolutely not acceptable - but chalk it down to bad luck - must have something to do with flights to LHR

At the FCT I was taken out to the plane - only to come up the gate to find it already moved back from the plane - doors closed and plane starting to be pushed back. Everything is brought to a hlat - "finger" repositioned to door - the latter opened allowing for me to enter. After taking a beating from the FA I sit down quitely at my designated seat - only for my new seat neighbour to scream bloody murder - as he is a SEN and expects the seat neyt to him be blocked as the flight is not full (A300 service HK) More embarresment to follow....

Tough luck - It is more or less a one off. Generally it works just fine.

Cheers

Thomas
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by tcswede
At the FCT I was taken out to the plane - only to come up the gate to find it already moved back from the plane - doors closed and plane starting to be pushed back.
That's funny, because I had quite the opposite experience once. FRA-MUC, supposed to be a 320, was rescheduled and turned into a ex-Sabena 343 with quite some delay. FCT was almost empty (except for the ubiquitous Mrs. Gottschalk), so I waited at the bar, beer flowing, chatting with the bartender.

Finally, I'm taken to the plane (obviously being the only HON or F pax on this flight using the FCT), and guess what: the crew was utterly surprised by my arrival, they were still eating and preparing the flight, I was the only pax on board. And it stayed that way for another 15 minutes.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by flysurfer
That's funny, because I had quite the opposite experience once. FRA-MUC, supposed to be a 320, was rescheduled and turned into a ex-Sabena 343 with quite some delay. FCT was almost empty (except for the ubiquitous Mrs. Gottschalk), so I waited at the bar, beer flowing, chatting with the bartender.

Finally, I'm taken to the plane (obviously being the only HON or F pax on this flight using the FCT), and guess what: the crew was utterly surprised by my arrival, they were still eating and preparing the flight, I was the only pax on board. And it stayed that way for another 15 minutes.

Same happened to me twice in a row now departing FRA.

On a night flight to BEY, they called me up surprisingly early, brought me to the gate - where the cabin crew didn't know what to do as the cabin wasn't ready yet. So I chatted to the pilots.

Three days later, daytime flight to ZRH, they drove me out, the driver went to see the cabin crew to see whether I can board. He of course took the car keys, thus no A/C, and I was left to swelter in the heat. Anyway, I just got off the car and waited outside. This time was more annoying, as I had been working on my laptop back in the FCT. If they had given me those additional 20 minutes for work instead of standing on the tarmac, I would have appreciated.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by creber

On a night flight to BEY, they called me up surprisingly early, brought me to the gate - where the cabin crew didn't know what to do as the cabin wasn't ready yet. So I chatted to the pilots.

Three days later, daytime flight to ZRH, they drove me out, the driver went to see the cabin crew to see whether I can board. He of course took the car keys, thus no A/C, and I was left to swelter in the heat. Anyway, I just got off the car and waited outside. This time was more annoying, as I had been working on my laptop back in the FCT. If they had given me those additional 20 minutes for work instead of standing on the tarmac, I would have appreciated.
Pretty bad. My case was a tarmac position, too, but I could board and take my seat in C, which was quite nice on the Sabena bird, at least for a hop from FRA to MUC.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Hi all, just wanted to let you know about my slightly sour experience at the MUC FCL.....
Hi Lewis.....welcome back. Sorry I did not get the info you wanted before you left. I hope your LH F experience on that flight was close to mine.....I was the only F pax! I had the whole upper deck to myself.

The attitude from FA is inexcusable. They should know that anyone arriving with a driver is international F! If anything, "Welcome. Now that you are on board and settled, we are ready to go! Champagne, sir?" They've been trained on FRA procedures.....should not be anything new with the MUC service.

My whole MUC FCL experience was so-so. Staff should get some training in FRA first!

BTW....at the FCT in FRA, when I was driven to my connecting flight, I also was delivered early. I sat in the car for about 10 mins, watching all the planes taxi past. ^ When I boarded, the crew was finishing breakfast....and offered me a bite or two. It was another 10 mins before the other pax arrived. It was unusual, to be delivered to the plane so early.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 4:21 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by creber

Seems to be a feature in FRA.
I have had these "too early pickups" always in connection with Eurowings.
Once they took me out even before the plane had arrived. So I got a free ride back to the FCT and 30 min later a second try.
Right now I just ask for a late pickup in advance. That works.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 5:13 pm

>>>>Why would a business class ticket provide access to the first class lounge?<<<<

Because that's sometimes the way it works with U.S. airliners--both business and first-class customers get access to the lounge.

And because once my daughter and I flew Luthansa FC along with my niece, who was in business class--and they let her into the lounge at JFK along with us.

And finally, because the plane I'm taking (an Airbus 340-600) doesn't HAVE first class--only business and coach. So I thought it possible that the lounge might be available to the highest class of service available on that flight.

Guess not! So I have a new question: is there a BUSINESS class lounge at Munich?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess not! So I have a new question: is there a BUSINESS class lounge at Munich?
Sure, there are two, but since you are *G, why would you want to go there instead of the SEN lounges?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because that's sometimes the way it works with U.S. airliners--both business and first-class customers get access to the lounge.
Really? Definitely news to me.

The only U.S. *A carrier with an international F cabin (and a corrensponding First Class Lounge) I know is UA, and there's no way you'll get into the UA IFL on a C ticket.

So can you tell me what U.S. carrier lets C pax use their IFL (or whatever lounge they got that's better than their Business Lounges)?
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:46 am

Sure, there are two, but since you are *G, why would you want to go there instead of the SEN lounges?

Okay, guys, you're being awfully rough on a newbie here! Not having flown LH very much, I'm asking for advice, not scolding/demonstrating how much you know and I don't. I'm well aware that my questions are rather ignorant and basic, as my original post admitted.

So I guess you're advising me to go to a SEN lounge instead of the Business-class lounge? Good advice. Is it hard to find? (in the "Schengen" section, wherever that is?)
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:02 am

Okay, guys, you're being awfully rough on a newbie here! Not having flown LH very much, I'm asking for advice, not scolding/demonstrating how much you know and I don't. I'm well aware that my questions are rather ignorant and basic, as my original post admitted.

So I guess you're advising me to go to a SEN lounge instead of the Business-class lounge? Good advice. Is it hard to find? (in the "Schengen" section, wherever that is?)
Well may I advise you to just use the powerful SEARCH button - I believe all of your questions have already been discussed many times before. Frequent users of this forum can get a little bit impatient being asked the same question over and over again... understandable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.