Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOT Polish looking for 60 A220 to replace Embraer fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 4:44 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Welll... add some GTF engines, some MCAS software, sky interior... you know the usual lipstick on ancient airframes...
well, I was biting my tongue not to compare to the Max though DC-9 is still a generation, or at least a half generation older concept than the 737.

Originally Posted by weero
What do you mean? They are still in operation - nearly all of them.
To operate, once you own them - yes, sure.
But to sell, alongside the A220? No way.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
..To operate, once you own them - yes, sure.
But to sell, alongside the A220? No way.
What do you dislike about it anyway? It's abysmal range?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by weero
What do you dislike about it anyway? It's abysmal range?
I don't dislike it. I just acknowledge it's a 15 year older variant of a 50 year older type, compared to A220.
iLied likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Polish link, but LOT to add 3 Embraer E195-E2s to the fleet:

https://www.rynek-lotniczy.pl/wiadom...5e2-20885.html

LOT’s render from LinkedIn:

Old May 7, 2024, 8:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN

3 new E295 coming into the fleet. Not 60 A220, but something nevertheless.
Old May 7, 2024, 5:49 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Hopefully there will be a long-term shift to move away from Boeing to Airbus, though throughout the history of the airline you can tell that they have always been loyal to Boeing. Security-wise I can understand their decision, but eventually I would like to see a transition to Airbus. Embraer for smaller jets are always welcome.
Harper50505 and BA850 like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 5:40 am

I remember when LOT was loyal to Tupolev and Ilyushin! Dealing with Boeing or for that matter Embraer is, in the history of the airline a relatively recent event!

That said, I would like to seem them move to Airbus on short haul and then I will start flying with them again which I haven't done since they introduced the Max8.
BA850 likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 6:52 am

Programs: AF Platinum Life, Aeroplan Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Harper50505
I remember when LOT was loyal to Tupolev and Ilyushin! Dealing with Boeing or for that matter Embraer is, in the history of the airline a relatively recent event!

That said, I would like to seem them move to Airbus on short haul and then I will start flying with them again which I haven't done since they introduced the Max8.
Well, the article mentions the acquisition of 11 new 737Max, so you may not be flying with them at all.
Old May 8, 2024, 8:09 am

LOT has been loyal to Boeing now for well over 35 years, which is very near as much as they were loyal to Ilyushin and Tupolev.

Despite LO being not super happy about the performance of their Boeing fleet vis-a-vis reliability, I'm quite sure that there are reasons why it remains the last major European airline, next to FR, who is happy to stay with option B.

Not sure if the talks about A220s were real, or part of negotiation strategy. We'll see. But unless Boeing pull their head of their behinds, soon, there will be no other option than to go for option A.
Old May 8, 2024, 5:20 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Harper50505
Let's just say that flying Russian junk was never a choice as they were occupied back then (good riddance!). Scary to think how technologically backwards those planes were back then... and how fortunate it was to transition to Boeing.

Originally Posted by kemor
Well, the article mentions the acquisition of 11 new 737Max, so you may not be flying with them at all.
Bad choice. They should have focused on Airbus and Embraer for short-haul aircraft. This could change though so let's not lose hope...

LOT has been loyal to Boeing now for well over 35 years, which is very near as much as they were loyal to Ilyushin and Tupolev.

Despite LO being not super happy about the performance of their Boeing fleet vis-a-vis reliability, I'm quite sure that there are reasons why it remains the last major European airline, next to FR, who is happy to stay with option B..
A lot of it has to do with geopolitics and security. Living next door to a terrorist entity entails that a flight onboard a 787 is a lot safer and has a certain degree of protection over flying Airbus aircraft. America would not take kindly to a 787 falling out of the skies (for whatever reason).
Old May 9, 2024, 1:45 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by aster
A lot of it has to do with geopolitics and security. Living next door to a terrorist entity entails that a flight onboard a 787 is a lot safer and has a certain degree of protection over flying Airbus aircraft. America would not take kindly to a 787 falling out of the skies (for whatever reason).
Sorry, but I totally miss your point. How about this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malays...ines_Flight_17 I do not recall "America" doing much in this case. Unless, there is some magic with the 787s that makes the government care, and 777 are just unlucky?
Deckter and the810 like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 2:41 pm

What additional degree of protection is afforded to a 787 over an A350? Is the implication that US or NATO forces would, if necessary, intervene to protect the former but not the latter? Come on

That’s not to say there aren’t political considerations when state-owned airlines make aircraft orders, but the idea that you’re safer flying in a Boeing over Poland than in an Airbus is nonsense.

Speaking of Airbus, and bringing this closer to the original topic, I’d very much like to see LOT order A220s, but I see the likelihood of that decreasing every time they place a piecemeal order for additional MAXs or Embraers (even if they’re leased). It rather smacks of a “try before you buy” approach - though I’d happily be proven wrong.
Harper50505 and the810 like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 5:04 am

Scary to think how technologically backwards those planes were back then... and how fortunate it was to transition to Boeing.
That's not quite fair. Technologically, the aircraft were comparable to their contemporaries. i.e. Tu-104 to Comet, 134 to Caravelle, 154 to the 727... Hell, the 204 which was designed in the 80s for EIS in early 90s is fully FBW.

The problem with those aircraft is long production runs, low production numbers, high fuel consumption (as that was just not a design priority) and compared to western designs, lackluster mid-life improvements. (i.e. MD-80 out of DC-9, 737 Classic out of Jurassics etc.)
That, and of course lack of any widebodies, especially long-range ones.
Harper50505 likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by SK2751
Sorry, but I totally miss your point. How about this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malays...ines_Flight_17 I do not recall "America" doing much in this case. Unless, there is some magic with the 787s that makes the government care, and 777 are just unlucky?
That wasn't a lucky year for MH in any regard. Just a few months earlier they had lost a plane in mysterious circumstances, and then the Russian terrorist state took out another of their planes en route to Amsterdam, killing all 298 people onboard.

The cost for the perpetrators will rarely be a spectacular show for everyone to see because that's not the point. But politicians pay attention, many more are convinced to take a certain position that is then followed by actual policy changes, so there is a high price to pay for such actions.

The first ever hull loss of a 787 would be most unfortunate, gaining more media attention and ensuing political traction. Especially if you factor in the possibility of a different airline than MH. Hmm...

That's not quite fair. Technologically, the aircraft were comparable to their contemporaries.
It was actually an understatement. They were never contemporaries at this stage, not even close. The technological leap with those first Boeing 767 deliveries was enormous, a complete game-changer.

Getting back to the recent efforts to replace some of their Embraer fleet, I too would prefer to see LOT switch to Airbus in what would be a long-term move away from Boeing. Eventually I think A350s should replace the 787 fleet and likewise all 737s should be phased out as well. But a good place to start would be the A220.

As a lot of these decisions are political I'm surprised Airbus isn't wooing the gov't with the possibility of participating in the aircraft's production in some way (or maybe they are?).
Old May 14, 2024, 1:32 am

As a lot of these decisions are political I'm surprised Airbus isn't wooing the gov't with the possibility of participating in the aircraft's production in some way (or maybe they are?).
Perhaps, but it would mean a great deal of effort to woo a relatively small client. Airbus may well be content to let Boeing keep LOT if that’s the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.