Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOT Polish looking for 60 A220 to replace Embraer fleet

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2024, 1:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
LO is currently riding the tigh market and enjoying decent revenues becuase the market is generally high priced. The structural problems similar to AZ/TP/SK remain. They don't have the financial strength to buy any new aircraft in the same way they decided to swap their B767s with B787 in the 2000s. LO has being a Boeing fan since the 70s and 80s. In the 2000s the decision was clearly political and probably tied to a number of defense orders that came as part of Poland joining NATO. The B787 is a fine aircraft and matches the mission profile of LOs longhaul operations. The fleet was inducted in the early 2010s and since LO had to ground the fleet in the 2013 dreamburner fiasco they probably got some good discount on the later B789 options.
Old May 14, 2024, 5:46 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by aster
It was actually an understatement. They were never contemporaries at this stage, not even close. The technological leap with those first Boeing 767 deliveries was enormous, a complete game-changer.

Getting back to the recent efforts to replace some of their Embraer fleet, I too would prefer to see LOT switch to Airbus in what would be a long-term move away from Boeing. Eventually I think A350s should replace the 787 fleet and likewise all 737s should be phased out as well. But a good place to start would be the A220.

As a lot of these decisions are political I'm surprised Airbus isn't wooing the gov't with the possibility of participating in the aircraft's production in some way (or maybe they are?).
It would have been a same jump from 727s and VC10s to 767s. The airplanes were not backwards, the issue was in lack of Russian alternatives and longer product lifecycle (essentially the whole 757/767/MD-80 generation was skipped by Soviet designers).

If you said what was available was obsolete, I would tend to agree. But backwards isn't right.
Old May 14, 2024, 9:06 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by BA850
Perhaps, but it would mean a great deal of effort to woo a relatively small client. Airbus may well be content to let Boeing keep LOT if thats the price.
I'm sure Airbus have bigger fish to fry, but it might be worth a shot if they could replace the entire fleet from top to bottom as I don't suppose LOT would want to keep a mixed fleet (tiny planes aside). Still a small customer though in the grand scheme of things.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
LO is currently riding the tigh market and enjoying decent revenues becuase the market is generally high priced. The structural problems similar to AZ/TP/SK remain. They don't have the financial strength to buy any new aircraft in the same way they decided to swap their B767s with B787 in the 2000s. LO has being a Boeing fan since the 70s and 80s. In the 2000s the decision was clearly political and probably tied to a number of defense orders that came as part of Poland joining NATO. The B787 is a fine aircraft and matches the mission profile of LOs longhaul operations. The fleet was inducted in the early 2010s and since LO had to ground the fleet in the 2013 dreamburner fiasco they probably got some good discount on the later B789 options.
Theres's probably quite a bit of debt to factor in as well, possibly even some gov't aid that technically might have to be paid back in one way or another. As you mentioned current revenue is decent at present and it seems like the focus is on North American routes as always, supplemented by some Asian destinations though I'm really curious just how high the loads are on those.

I remember the fiasco with grounded 787s - being the "first to fly" in Europe certainly backfired for LOT and that distinction, well... simply stopped being one. Airbus, on the other hand, had a successful launch of its A380. I recall being on the inaugural flight from Europe and it was quite an experience.

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
It would have been a same jump from 727s and VC10s to 767s. The airplanes were not backwards, the issue was in lack of Russian alternatives and longer product lifecycle (essentially the whole 757/767/MD-80 generation was skipped by Soviet designers).

If you said what was available was obsolete, I would tend to agree. But backwards isn't right.
Obsolete, backwards, everything. There wasn't and still isn't any decent technology or quality there, regardless of whether you focus on commercial or military aircraft. And the concorde copycat fiasco was one of those moments where you could clearly see what it was all worth...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.