Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH Longhaul Economy service revamp in W21/22 [ends S23]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Red face LH Longhaul Economy service revamp in W21/22 [ends S23]

Starting this winter the service in economy on longhaul flights will be 'enhanced':
- the usual '3-course meal' with beverages (including beer/wine/sparkling wine) and
- a coffee/tea service will remain,

but
- a supplemental 'Onboard delights' will be offered.

These will be sold along with the alcoholic beverages spirits/liquor which will no longer be offered for free.
naoumy likes this.

Last edited by oliver2002; Oct 6, 2021 at 1:28 pm
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Thumbs down

5* airline? OMG
Grog, N1120A, hugolover and 12 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Does this mean no more 2nd meal/snack (daytime flights) and no more breakfast (overnight flights) will be offered for free?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Don't know that for sure, I'm assuming if the second round snack/breakfast was served (remember it was enhanced on some <8-9h routes) it will stay.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Wasn't the second meal enhanced already away 2 years ago? What was left was a small snack.
Gnopps likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
This is a remarkable move given the legacy american carriers did this but then reversed their decision a couple of years later. The race to the bottom (for LH specifically) continues...!
N1120A and SxMan like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:45 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Hilarious. The decline of LH continues. Why not just scrap the brand altogether and call everything Eurowings Discover?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Or why not just call it Chickenwings? It looks like my lifetime boycott of Lufthansa is approaching. The only way they're going stop this race to the bottom is if you complain bitterly about it and vote with your wallet. Idem for SWISS.

As an aside, the Russian airline S7 Airlines serves no alcohol whatsoever on board and you can't even purchase it. That said, inflight service is pretty good, with acceptable inflight meals.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:55 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by oliver2002
These will be sold along with the alcoholic beverages, which will no longer be offered for free.
To clarify, are all complimentary alcohol beverages (beer, wine and spirits) being eliminated from long-haul Y? Not even a serving of wine with dinner?

Edit: Per oliver2002's information below, it seems that beer and wine may remain complimentary, at least during meal services.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Oct 6, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:25 am
Original Poster

hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by warakorn
Wasn't the second meal enhanced already away 2 years ago? What was left was a small snack.
The second meal has been replaced by a cold vegetarian sandwich (no choice, just one option) in both economy and premium economy.

FT-er Carpacchio translated a little bit from the Spiegel on the new concept. Let me quote his post from 2019:

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Was also in the Spiegel: https://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell...a-1295219.html (in German)

-> The idea would be based on "current customer wishes": "A majority of customers welcome the opportunity to either consume the meal immediately or pack it for the rest of the journey, and it also has an environmental impact as there is less packaging waste," the spokeswoman said.
​​​​​​
In my area of work, many people have to fly (premium) economy even on super-long haul routes. Many people in my network claim the second meal is insufficient considering you have a 9, 10, or 11 hour flight.

Assuming these are not isolated views, it seems Lufthansa's strategic response was either to reverse course, going back to a more substantial second meal, or to try something new. It seems they decided to try something new by offering BoB snacks to complement the complimentary meal service.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
First of all I want to congratulate LH. I think it’s the first time the enhancements are even deeper than BA! My next J flight is with KLM for the very first time. When the price is good I will keep flying with LH but if I can get another carrier with a similar price I will probably not fly LH. Also I will start ‘borrowing’ some small bottles of wine before my flight from the lounge if they are available. It will enhance my personal experience
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
To clarify, are all complimentary alcohol beverages (beer, wine and spirits) being eliminated from long-haul Y? Not even a serving of wine with dinner?
Beer and wine will apparently be complimentary but I want LH to kill them too since I cannot stand them being free. Even more bizarre is that PREMIUM Economy will also be affected by this "enhancement".

https://onemileatatime.com/news/luft...s-free-liquor/
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Beer and wine will apparently be complimentary but I want LH to kill them too since I cannot stand them being free. Even more bizarre is that PREMIUM Economy will also be affected by this "enhancement".

https://onemileatatime.com/news/luft...s-free-liquor/
That's the part that gets me. Doesn't seem 100% confirmed as the line in the memo above could still apply to just Y, but if true, seems crazy. I can't think of a single "full service" airline that charges for liquor in PY on 8-12 hour flights.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Concerto
As an aside, the Russian airline S7 Airlines serves no alcohol whatsoever on board and you can't even purchase it.
That's because most passengers bring their own.

Also, sentences like "The aim of Onboard Delights is to achieve greater customer satisfaction" should be made prosecutable.
Dave_C, Gnopps, Grog and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.