Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH Longhaul Economy service revamp in W21/22 [ends S23]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:16 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
So many times i found myself sitting in economy wishing i could buy an overpriced gin&tonic instead of having one for free. Finally, an airline that knows what i want. /s
Gnopps, Grog, TPJ and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:58 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Ghastly!

Why doesn't the 5* rating get revoked....

Could be a chance to use up orphaned miles to spend on BOB-crap.
Deckter likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Beer and wine continues, so Oliver2002 should edit his/her/theirself's post. Only spirits are binned. Making the service identical to LO in Y, but rubbish compared to LO W which has an extensive F&B offer, plus a dedicated cabin on connecting short-haul.

I'm surprised sustainability doesn't get a mention as that was the core driving factor behind Onboard Delights?
Pax should bring their own booze, easy to make up a G&T in a nice flask in the lounge and that is also more sustainable.

I want to commend Captain Carsten for finding new ways for reducing LH growth/pax numbers. These measures serve to encourage pax to fly less often which we can all be grateful for in the long-run. Hopefully, full BOB will come to all Y cabins.
TPJ, ISTFlyer and JD3313 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by hugolover
Beer and wine continues, so Oliver2002 should edit his/her/theirself's post. Only spirits are binned. Making the service identical to LO in Y, but rubbish compared to LO W which has an extensive F&B offer, plus a dedicated cabin on connecting short-haul.

I'm surprised sustainability doesn't get a mention as that was the core driving factor behind Onboard Delights?
Pax should bring their own booze, easy to make up a G&T in a nice flask in the lounge and that is also more sustainable.

I want to commend Captain Carsten for finding new ways for reducing LH growth/pax numbers. These measures serve to encourage pax to fly less often which we can all be grateful for in the long-run. Hopefully, full BOB will come to all Y cabins.
How bizarre - whatever the sustainability spin, this is evidently further cost cutting!
hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
US carriers charged for spirits and additional snacks on long-haul for a very long time. ( Even pre-COVID )
However, this doesn't change the fact that Lufthansa is going far away from being a 5* airline.

I really hope that we see more airlines being created with decent service so that these legacies could learn from their mistakes.
By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if vegetarian meals remain the only free choice on long-haul Economy while Lufthansa would try to charge €15-25 extra for a chicken/meat dish. We still know that the virus transmits when LH offers free non-vegetarian options but the pre-order meat options that are available online are COVID free.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
US carriers charged for spirits and additional snacks on long-haul for a very long time.
On DL, all alcohol is free in Y on INTL longhaul. On AA MCE pax get free spirits and all pax do on Japan, HKG and AU/NZ flights. UA is the only one that charges for liquor and for snacks in between.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I can live without any spirits, but I think it would be mean to take away beer or wine, so it's good that's staying for now. I know they've been hurting during the Corona fiasco, but the major airlines are really risking shooting themselves in the foot with things like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Am I the only one who can also see the positive side of this? On a long flight in Y the quantity of the main meals is often too small. So instead of starving and waiting 8h for that vegetarian sandwich to be served at the end of the flight I can now buy food/snacks in the middle of the flight. If they implement it so that passengers can also visit for example the rear galley at any time of the flight to buy snacks I think this will make many passengers happy.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:47 pm
Suspended

A quick reminder of what competitors offer... Let us look at FRA-JFK which is not just served by Lufty but also by DL and SQ

DL

You get a welcome cocktail (Bellini) and a printed menu. There's a hot towel service before each of the two meal services. For the first meal, you can choose not just the mains but also the appetizer off the printed menu! Meal is served on a place mat which is not a real table cloth but looks better than a simple tray or paper cloth. DL serves the dessert and coffee/tea/digestif separately from the appetizer and main. This feels nicer and also facilitates things like ice cream staying cold. You then have a few intermediate drink rounds. An hour and a half before landing or so, the second meal is served. It is a hot snack (like a pizza or a sandwich) with some sides. After the second meal, you get a small chocolate candy or the like with flight attendants saying thank you for your business.

SQ

Hot towel, welcome cocktail or drink, nuts, printed menu. Again, you can deliberate based on the printed menu as opposed to deciding in a split second when a LH flight attendant asks in a commanding voice "chicken or pasta?!" First meal (main meal) served on a tray, fairly similar to LH with two differences. One, the main tends to be of higher quality. Two, the dessert is provided with coffee/tea service which allows them to go with things such as Häagen-Dasz ice cream (not unlike DL). Second meal is similar to Lufty and often based around a cold sandwich. But sides may be fresh (think a fruit salad or something) whereas Lufty complements the sandwich with nothing more than a candy bar or a cup of yoghurt.

LH

I don't think I need to outline it beyond the brief mentions above, as most people here are gonna know. Bottom line is they are the worst already. The latest announcement is merely an indication that the spread is going to widen further...

EDIT: Feeling almost compelled to mention other differences in the soft product like the amenity kit on SQ or the superior IFE on both DL and SQ...
Edvard, fifty_two and Deckter like this.

Last edited by FlyerTalker78341; Oct 6, 2021 at 4:06 pm Reason: digestif, not digestive oops ;)
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover

Why not BOB in ALL cabins !
more4less and hugolover like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ryanp
A quick reminder of what competitors offer... Let us look at FRA-JFK which is not just served by Lufty but also by DL and SQ

DL

You get a welcome cocktail (Bellini) and a printed menu. There's a hot towel service before each of the two meal services. For the first meal, you can choose not just the mains but also the appetizer off the printed menu! Meal is served on a place mat which is not a real table cloth but looks better than a simple tray or paper cloth. DL serves the dessert and coffee/tea/digestif separately from the appetizer and main. This feels nicer and also facilitates things like ice cream staying cold. You then have a few intermediate drink rounds. An hour and a half before landing or so, the second meal is served. It is a hot snack (like a pizza or a sandwich) with some sides. After the second meal, you get a small chocolate candy or the like with flight attendants saying thank you for your business.

SQ

Hot towel, welcome cocktail or drink, nuts, printed menu. Again, you can deliberate based on the printed menu as opposed to deciding in a split second when a LH flight attendant asks in a commanding voice "chicken or pasta?!" First meal (main meal) served on a tray, fairly similar to LH with two differences. One, the main tends to be of higher quality. Two, the dessert is provided with coffee/tea service which allows them to go with things such as Häagen-Dasz ice cream (not unlike DL). Second meal is similar to Lufty and often based around a cold sandwich. But sides may be fresh (think a fruit salad or something) whereas Lufty complements the sandwich with nothing more than a candy bar or a cup of yoghurt.

LH

I don't think I need to outline it beyond the brief mentions above, as most people here are gonna know. Bottom line is they are the worst already. The latest announcement is merely an indication that the spread is going to widen further...

EDIT: Feeling almost compelled to mention other differences in the soft product like the amenity kit on SQ or the superior IFE on both DL and SQ...
Actually in Y on FRA-JFK SQ serves two full hot(!) meals for an 8 hour flight — "brunch" after takeoff (i.e. mix of breakfast and lunch options) and lunch before landing. First meal comes with fruit and some sort of cake/dessert, while the second meal also has a cold appetizer and ice cream after. So not sure how LH is even competitive against that — although SQ26 departs FRA way too early IMO for passengers originating in FRA.
FlyerTalker78341 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Drat. I've recently booked PE on OS and LH for May '22, EWR-VIE and MUC-EWR, and I don't like its being messed with. How is this supposed to provide even greater satisfaction (to the customers, not the accountants)?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Drat. I've recently booked PE on OS and LH for May '22, EWR-VIE and MUC-EWR, and I don't like its being messed with. How is this supposed to provide even greater satisfaction (to the customers, not the accountants)?
Any news on when LX and OS will follow this enhancement too? Or is there already something official on it?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Don't know that for sure, I'm assuming if the second round snack/breakfast was served (remember it was enhanced on some <8-9h routes) it will stay.
I'm curious too. If the second snack/breakfast is still served I don't see what the big deal is. Who needs food in between the dinner and the morning snack that is already served on a BOS-FRA flight? If the existing service remains, the only difference is that spirits will no longer be free. A downgrade for sure, but not one that I really care about. If they do go as far as to eliminate the pre-arrival snack and to charge for anything after the main meal service that will really be tacky.
Grog likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:59 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by HadesNL

Why doesn't the 5* rating get revoked....
Because they paid for it

I can understand Y, but PY... These are not low fares...
lhrpete, Grog, esledo and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.