LH Reducing second meal service in longhaul Y and PE

Old Nov 6, 19, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G BA Silver
LH Reducing second meal service in longhaul Y and PE

According to OMAAT LH is going to reduce the meal service in both Economy and PE. Anyone can verify this? Really bad news as BA catering has been improved a lot in the last year. https://onemileatatime.com/lufthansa...-meal-service/
Old Nov 6, 19, 3:19 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *S
Was also in the Spiegel: https://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell...a-1295219.html (in German)

-> The idea would be based on "current customer wishes": "A majority of customers welcome the opportunity to either consume the meal immediately or pack it for the rest of the journey, and it also has an environmental impact as there is less packaging waste," the spokeswoman said.
hugolover likes this.
Old Nov 6, 19, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
No impact for me. I always skip the pre-arrival meal.
Old Nov 6, 19, 4:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN
I think the article on onemileatatime.com is confusing:

"On long haul flights, Lufthansa will only offer a small cold vegetarian snack as the pre-landing meal, with no choice"
may be understood as The only food offered during the flight will be a small cold vegetarian snack.
OR (as I understand it): Lufthansa is changing the concept of the pre-landing meal to a cold vegetarian snack. Which is not a big deal to me.
Old Nov 6, 19, 4:53 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
so a few weeks ago they've made seat reservation extra and now the food is getting a downgrade as well.. I'm sure costumers love the idea of paying the same prices for it
hugolover, chris63 and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Kaloz View Post
so a few weeks ago they've made seat reservation extra and now the food is getting a downgrade as well.. I'm sure costumers love the idea of paying the same prices for it
I would love to travel with other *A carriers rather than LH

TBH, I think this move is ok for Y passengers,
but for PEY, they are paying a premium, I would pay 5 Euros extra in the fare for a better pre arrival meal.
Old Nov 7, 19, 12:28 am

Programs: LH FTL
I guess they had to find a way to get of rid the cheese sandwiches that they stopped serving on Eurowings but which are still in stock with an expiry date in Dec 2020
curt, Kaloz and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 1:05 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
To many destinations, packing the snack for later is not an option, as you cannot enter the country with it.

Concerning the downgrade: PE is a lot less attractive than it used to be (award miles, prices, ASR, food...), but it is, unfortunately, almost always full, as they made the PE cabins too small. So no need to improve the product.

Let‘s see if the new „improved“ seat points in the same direction.
Old Nov 7, 19, 1:23 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
You already starve on a +10h Lufthansa flight in Premium Economy; it can't go much further south.

Truly pathetic, and what's even more irritating is the perpetual virtue-signalling, politically correct spin they affix to every single move of their PR machine.

Basically a corporate trolling of your customer base.
nancypants and malmostoso like this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump View Post
You already starve on a +10h Lufthansa flight in Premium Economy; it can't go much further south.

Truly pathetic, and what's even more irritating is the perpetual virtue-signalling, politically correct spin they affix to every single move of their PR machine.
It is all just due to the wishes of customers and an abundance of caution concerning pax‘ health.
chris63, nancypants, Kaloz and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 2:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by andywaw View Post
I think the article on onemileatatime.com is confusing:

"On long haul flights, Lufthansa will only offer a small cold vegetarian snack as the pre-landing meal, with no choice"
may be understood as The only food offered during the flight will be a small cold vegetarian snack.
OR (as I understand it): Lufthansa is changing the concept of the pre-landing meal to a cold vegetarian snack. Which is not a big deal to me.

Ben and/or his ghost writers are trying to make sense on what rcs85551 originally posted on VFT this week:

Originally Posted by rcs View Post
Lufthansa "optimiert" das Inflight-Produkt in der Economy und Premium Economy ab dem 28.11.2019.

Insbesondere beim zweiten Service an Bord wird zukünftig gespart. Während es dort auf Flügen mit einer Blockzeit von mehr als 10 Stunden bisher ein kleines Tablett mit warmem Essen und einer Wahlmöglichkeit gibt, gibt es dort zukünftig nur noch eine kleine Box mit einem kleinen (kalten) vegetarischen Snack ohne Wahlmöglichkeit. Auf den kürzeren Langstrecken (z.B. Indien / Mittlerer Osten nach Deutschland) ersetzt ein kleiner vegetarischer Snack ohne Wahlmöglichkeit (z.B. ein Wrap) die bisherigen warmen/kalten Snackboxen.

Die bisherigen Kopfhörer werden durch leichtere Einweg-Ohrhörer ersetzt, wodurch sich die Lufthansa rund 175 Tonnen Kerosinverbrauch und 500 Tonnen CO2-Emmissionen pro Jahr verspricht.

Einziger Pluspunkt: Alle Fluggäste in der Economy Class erhalten zukünftig direkt eine 0,5l Wasserflasche.

They are basically downgrading the second service to a snack, adding a water bottle and going to offer disposable headsets in Y. I've not flown PE or Y longhaul for a while, but don't recall the second service to be anything spectacular in the first place?

If you look at the menu for LH400 (JFK): https://lh-menu.de/en/download/2019--11-12/E/400P/1 its already something tiny. The second service to DEL LH760 reads to be more substantial: https://lh-menu.de/en/download/2019--11-12/E/760P/1 similar to the second service to PVG LH726: https://lh-menu.de/en/download/2019--11-12/E/726P/1
So I suppose all second service on all longhaul is going to be like LH400 going forward.
Old Nov 7, 19, 4:00 am

Programs: Miles and More FTL; BA Exec Club Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Ben and/or his ghost writers are trying to make sense on what rcs85551 originally posted on VFT this week:

They are basically downgrading the second service to a snack, adding a water bottle and going to offer disposable headsets in Y. I've not flown PE or Y longhaul for a while, but don't recall the second service to be anything spectacular in the first place?

If you look at the menu for LH400 (JFK): https://lh-menu.de/en/download/2019--11-12/E/400P/1 its already something tiny. The second service to DEL LH760 reads to be more substantial: https://lh-menu.de/en/download/2019--11-12/E/760P/1 similar to the second service to PVG LH726: https://lh-menu.de/en/download/2019--11-12/E/726P/1
So I suppose all second service on all longhaul is going to be like LH400 going forward.

I was in PE last week from ICN to FRA and the second meal was hot and nice, but served in one of those metal foil things. There were two choices, and there was also a cold snack in between the two meal services. Other than that I found PE was just not worth the extra - better recline but hard seats, no perks on the ground and no differentiated service I could tell, aside from small amenity kit and a printed menu.

Honestly I think these changes, especially for PE, are just taking it down more to the Y level and, given this, the changes in mileage earning and generally shoddy ground service when connecting through FRA (luggage lost twice, and not even on the days when all luggage went haywire), I think I'll actively try to avoid LH now on long haul flights.

The only good thing I can find is when you buy Y or PE and bid to upgrade you get miles according to booking class rather than fare paid. Anticipating what will be announced next week regarding earning status, I think I'll try to look for another *A programme, and/or only credit non LH group flights to M&M. Finding it difficult to choose another *A programme though. My flights tend to be N or P class, and intra-Europe vary from K-M.

This year I'm hitting around 60k Status miles (would be more except out of my 6 LH J flights, 5 were with Oneworld, out of choice for better product - QR instead of LH). I'm basically losing any incentive to fly LH group on long haul flights now, especially on LH issued ticket.
Old Nov 7, 19, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by ChrisBub View Post
Honestly I think these changes, especially for PE, are just taking it down more to the Y level...

LH's PE more and more looks like a halfway house between a real PE and the "plus" offering on some airlines, just providing slightly more space (often just legroom).
Old Nov 7, 19, 4:50 am

Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post

LH's PE more and more looks like a halfway house between a real PE and the "plus" offering on some airlines, just providing slightly more space (often just legroom).
with a hefty price tag...
Old Nov 7, 19, 5:08 am

Well, had my first LH Y flight in a long time last month MUC-SFO and thought: "Well, the meals in LH Y are not great but at least edible, so don't worry". Boy, was I wrong. I tried both Pasta options and they were just disgusting. The first was a tomato sugo which was just sour, but the second was some pesto sauce which was from hell. To be honest, I would have loved to get a Eurowings cheese sandwich instead.

On my way back, I decided to have a very nice lunch in a proper restaurant in San Bruno and rejected any meals. Probably the better option.
worldclubber and chris63 like this.

Search this Thread