Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2020, 4:31 pm

@djjaguar64, in the current situation this is the only option, other than sitting and waiting for an unknown period of time for LHG to commence refunding cancelled tickets.

During this week's shareholder meeting, the CEO is quoted saying that LHG owns customers EUR 1.8 billion for cancelled and not refunded tickets and asks the customers for their patience ...
Old May 6, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: None
Lufthansa must be waiting for new bookings / bailout debt before it starts processing the refunds. Europe opens in about a month or so. So, maybe a few new bookings may trickle in.
Old May 7, 2020, 5:26 am

I booked a round-trip from Denmark to MIA via FRA yesterday, outbound ultimo April 2021, inbound on May 1, 2021 (I know the inbound schedule was literally just released yesterday, but the price was fair, and I'd rather book now and secure that price, than risk it increasing drastically over the next months).
I understand that, under the current terms, only the outbound flight would be eligible for a rebooking, in case that would be necessary? Booked as Economy Basic (if that changes the temporary rebooking terms), no *A status.
Hopefully most flights should be back to normal by then, but it's still nice to know what my options are.

Last edited by mikkelhk; May 7, 2020 at 5:47 am
Old May 7, 2020, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by krishansy
Lufthansa must be waiting for new bookings / bailout debt before it starts processing the refunds. Europe opens in about a month or so. So, maybe a few new bookings may trickle in.
Not a logical answer. So no new booking means no refunds?
Old May 7, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
I guess so - because with no new booking, they will soon be bankrupt...
Old May 7, 2020, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
I guess so - because with no new booking, they will soon be bankrupt...
Nah, not LH. They will be bailed out.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Yes - but they still need some booking at some point in time
Old May 8, 2020, 8:20 am

I have a flight booked with Lufthansa for Mumbai-Munich-Mumbai in June. While there in Germany, I have another Lufthansa flight from Berlin to Munich (on a separate ticket). If my Mumbai-Munich-Mumbai flight gets cancelled, do you think I have a case for a refund for Berlin-Munich flight too? Getting to Berlin to take that flight is my responsibility even if the Mumbai-Munich-Mumbai flight gets cancelled - so not sure whether I can ask them for a refund. Also, residents from India may not be allowed to enter Germany in June. Can I request Lufthansa to refund my Berlin-Munich because Indians won't be allowed to enter Germany then? Again, I feel that Lufthansa won't entertain my requests because any nationality not allowed in Germany is not their fault. However, I decided to ask this here in case someone else has faced a similar situation. Thank you.
Old May 8, 2020, 3:19 pm

... do you think I have a case for a refund for Berlin-Munich flight too?
Nope. For what it's worth, LH does not care about this flight - you may have booked it for any number of reasons and there is no way that LH will link it to the onward BOM booking.

Can I request Lufthansa to refund my Berlin-Munich because Indians won't be allowed to enter Germany then?
Nope. Getting to the point of departure to start your journey is your responsibility only. You can refer to LH Conditions of Carriage, Article 13.1

As I see it, you have two options (assuming you know you will not be able to travel): i) hope that these flights are cancelled and then you apply for a refund, which could take months to process (in which case you may also initiate a chargeback claim), or ii) apply for a voucher, in which case you will have to rebook by 31.8.20 for travel up until 30.4.21
Old May 8, 2020, 10:22 pm

Thank you, Michael. I am afraid you are right on all accounts. Unfortunately, travel by April 2021 doesn't seem possible for me. So, in case the flight does not get cancelled, I will rebook to a date before 30th April 2021 and then change the date to later in 2021 later on (once I know when I am traveling) by paying the change fee as per the fare rules (I am assuming the fare rules will still apply after the one free rebooking).
Old May 9, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by MichaelA380
Nope. For what it's worth, LH does not care about this flight - you may have booked it for any number of reasons and there is no way that LH will link it to the onward BOM booking.

Nope. Getting to the point of departure to start your journey is your responsibility only. You can refer to LH Conditions of Carriage, Article 13.1

As I see it, you have two options (assuming you know you will not be able to travel): i) hope that these flights are cancelled and then you apply for a refund, which could take months to process (in which case you may also initiate a chargeback claim), or ii) apply for a voucher, in which case you will have to rebook by 31.8.20 for travel up until 30.4.21

But what if the border of the country that I want to go was not closed yet when I booked the flight?
Old May 9, 2020, 4:43 pm

The time of booking is of no relevance. Please read the Conditions of Carriage.
mmff likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Any idea when LH would start canceling June flights; I have a short-haul booking ( IST-FRA-FCO r/t ) and I am waiting for a cancellation.
All 4 flights in the booking are still available for sale. Did anyone receive any cancellation notice for June flights?

I am pretty sure that Istanbul would not be x3 daily and Rome being x6 daily during the month of June.
I am not planning to take the same vacation until 30 April 2021, so I am not preferring to take a voucher.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: SQ *G, UA *G, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Any idea when LH would start canceling June flights; I have a short-haul booking ( IST-FRA-FCO r/t ) and I am waiting for a cancellation.
All 4 flights in the booking are still available for sale. Did anyone receive any cancellation notice for June flights?

I am pretty sure that Istanbul would not be x3 daily and Rome being x6 daily during the month of June.
I am not planning to take the same vacation until 30 April 2021, so I am not preferring to take a voucher.
LH has stated that they will release the schedule for June in this coming week.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by volutes
LH has stated that they will release the schedule for June in this coming week.
Lufthansa or Lufthansa Group?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.