Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rumour] LH F & FCT going away?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Originally Posted by sophialite
Oliver posted re the board approval a long time ago.
I am well aware of that. But did anyone from LH (Board or otherwise) announce it publicly ?
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:22 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by FlyerLX

I think LH has decided that F is history except on LX as a kind of boutique offering. LX does F so much better anyway- the old SR service ethic, and staff who really understand how to look after premium pax (whereas LH crew are more occupied with organising their break times and dividing up the first class catering among themselves).

Maybe LH will go for a movable curtain in the business cabin with a kind of “business plus” giving enhanced service at the very front. They could get some training from LX for that.
LH has definitely not decided that. LH hasn't decided anything regarding F. People think LH has a very specific fleet and cabin plan for the future, but they actually don't. Due to Covid everything is under review anyway atm. I can assure you of that.

They have considered it and they are doing it for the 2023 A350s...
Afaik it was decided at some point, but due to the current situation that's up in the air obviously. Under review are btw, all current and future seat maps as well (if there is a significant shift from J to Y etc. existing seat maps might even be changed).

Originally Posted by oliver2002
If the A380 and A346 are going away, some of the 2023 A359 will surely get F.
^^^

I am well aware of that. But did anyone from LH (Board or otherwise) announce it publicly ?
No. All of this information is of course officially unconfirmed. Unofficially however...
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:31 pm

I think LH has decided that F is history except on LX as a kind of boutique offering. LX does F so much better anyway- the old SR service ethic, and staff who really understand how to look after premium pax (whereas LH crew are more occupied with organising their break times and dividing up the first class catering among themselves).

Maybe LH will go for a movable curtain in the business cabin with a kind of “business plus” giving enhanced service at the very front. They could get some training from LX for that.
We may agree, disagree, speculate etc. about the future of F with LH but in my experience these statements are not accurate or fair. I have found LH service on the ground and in the air to be excellent when traveling in F or in C when connecting to/from F. Super professional and friendly, and always looking to help in a non obtrusive manner. I hope that LH keeps a strong F offering.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Oliver posted re the board approval a long time ago.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the new 777s got a first class in some of them but that bit is pure speculation on my part
I would be surprised if anything regarding F that was decided pre-covid isn't under close scrutiny post-covid.

Suppose covid is there to stay, as immunity is only temporary and vaccines only provide partial protection for a year or so, similar to a flu shot. In such a scenario, I'd much prefer a good business seat with a door over LH F or LX F. Have people here flown the QSuite, the BA Club Suite, NH The Room C, or DL's Delta One Suite (the Delta One version with Vantage XL seat and door)?

Even LH's new C seat--shall it ever see the light of day--will feature a door some sort of encapsulation. IMO, it will be a compelling alternative to LH F unless LH introduces a new F cabin.

Last edited by flyertalker28120; Sep 20, 2020 at 2:02 am Reason: Full disclosure - I haven't flown ANA's The Room and Delta One Suite just yet
Old Sep 20, 2020, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by funkydrummer
it will be a compelling alternative to LH F unless LH introduces a new F cabin.
Yes I agree... if they do introduce the advertised new C seat to 779, and then across any other long haul aircraft they still have by that time, it’s hard to see how to add an F cabin even of 4 to be “better” than that...

As I said, my guess is that LH will stop at C- or perhaps (unlikely but possible) look at some kind of differentiated service with a movable curtain...
Old Sep 20, 2020, 1:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The business plus planned for the B779 in the first two rows was supposed to offer the option to encapsule yourself like shown in the Vantagefirst page: https://www.thompsonaero.com/seating.../vantagefirst/
Old Sep 20, 2020, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The business plus planned for the B779 in the first two rows was supposed to offer the option to encapsule yourself like shown in the Vantagefirst page: https://www.thompsonaero.com/seating.../vantagefirst/
Yes we may see this... If I understand right it's basically the same seat as business but with a wall around it and maybe a bit more legroom... This seems to make sense, because if you want to operate the flight with no F, or if the F load is 0, you can simply use the whole front part of the aircraft as business and a few pax in the first row(s) are a bit lucky... That way you have maximum flexibility.

Last edited by FlyerLX; Sep 20, 2020 at 2:07 am
Old Sep 20, 2020, 4:16 am

Yes we may see this... If I understand right it's basically the same seat as business but with a wall around it and maybe a bit more legroom... This seems to make sense, because if you want to operate the flight with no F, or if the F load is 0, you can simply use the whole front part of the aircraft as business and a few pax in the first row(s) are a bit lucky... That way you have maximum flexibility.
Isn't it totally crap? Whilst other airlines offer the privacy also for Business Class, Lufthansa is supposed to simply not to do it and offer a simple wall as only differentiation? So no seperate galley, no seperate toilet rooms, no wall to Business Class?
If they would do something good, they would build the wall around each seat in the whole Business Class and offer a better product there.... I can't believe this is supposed to be real. That has nothing to do with First Class!?
How much seats do they miss if they would have a real F with 8 seats? Wouldnt it be much better to have real F class, and if Business is overbooked, simply do some upgrades?
Old Sep 20, 2020, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by SebFra
Isn't it totally crap?
It's certainly nothing like F on LX...

I say again that I think LH have more or less given up on the whole idea of F... It's true that it remained profitable on some routes but on many it never was. I believe they just cannot get away from looking at the few extra seats they could have, the staff and catering costs they could save, etc... If FCT re-opens long term, it could easily be renamed HON Terminal.

Originally Posted by SebFra
If they would do something good, they would build the wall around each seat in the whole Business Class and offer a better product there....
I still think we may end up seeing a movable curtain between Business and some form of Business Plus / Premium Business / Executive First / call it what you like (maybe even just First Class)... A curtain or some kind of movable divider gives them flexibility.... And it mirrors what pax find on shorthaul flights...

Although if you have a wall around the seats in the front row(s), maybe you don't need a curtain...
Old Sep 20, 2020, 11:18 am
Suspended

If you cut down on F, this may also reduce the number of HON in the medium/long term. I know quite a few HON IRL. And yeah, they fly a lot. Some really a ton more than me. But I also get the impression many of them fly LH and LX F a decent amount. If you give HON less opportunities to fly F (which happens automatically if you cut down F capacity), for a subset of them it will become impractical to requalify for HON.

I think the big picture is that F is not as profitable as C, at least not directly. There's the idea that besides the money you get from F flyers, having an F may be beneficial due to what it does to the airline's reputation and such. But reputational benefits are hard to quantify...

Nevertheless, I'm fully admitting to engaging in armchair CEO discussion here. But this week should bring new information about which parts of the fleet are being retired. That should help us all to make better-educated guesses about the future of F and the FCT/FCLs.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
I do fly LH F already several years wherever possible. And I do like the product. Actually I like it more than LX F product.
As far I know, LH will keep F also for imago. It may not be directly profitable product but it is profitable in the Big Picture.
Actually I do not think, there is any 5* airline (no matter what some may think of LH accordance to 5*) wihtout F.
F is ideologically best product.
You may have Premium Business class, you may have better cabin for Businass class.
But F is not just a cabin. Actualy for me the cabin is even not the 50% importance. F is mostly about the service! In the air and on the ground.
And that is, where LH is superior by my experience. Far over EK, whos F I also used to fly I lot. And by my personal opinion better than LX. Of course some may disagree and different customers have different preferences.
I am quite sure, F will stay in LH protfolio for long time. As well will stay the ground services for F and HON.
And currently big part of the ground services are in FRA connected to FCT, what will also keep FCT "alive".
Yes, maybe they will close some of F lounges. Logical should be then FCL A as from A is easiest to take short walk to FCT. I used almost every time also ask drivers who picked me up from any flight to drop me "nearest exit to FCT". As I did prefer walk to FCT. OK, few times, when it was veeery bad weather I did stay in terminal.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 12:16 pm

If you cut down on F, this may also reduce the number of HON in the medium/long term.
Hmm... Although the M&M status structure from 2022 (if it goes ahead) will probably mean more HONS than before because status will be easier and cheaper overall to achieve. Flying Y will be status-earning again, Flying C will be very advantageous to status in some cases, whereas flying F won't give anything like the same boost to status that it did before. Maybe because LH plan for it to be nearly gone by then...??

I know quite a few HON IRL.
Sorry... Are these HONs who live in Ireland??

..... for a subset of them it will become impractical to requalify for HON.
Personally I think that will only hold true if they refuse to fly anything other than F... If they fly C a lot they may actually find it easier to requalify.

..... having an F may be beneficial due to what it does to the airline's reputation and such. But reputational benefits are hard to quantify
... And this may be a big headache for LH (and I am also only an armchair CEO on a Sunday!!) if they are trying to ditch F. It's easy not to introduce F if you don't have it... It's much harder to say "We used to have F, folks, but from today: Just stick your feet in the hole, bang your elbows on the side, fiddle with the broken light, swallow your defrosted goose, lie rigid in the dentist's chair, and smash your toe in the tiny WC.... Welcome to LH C Class!!"

Last edited by FlyerLX; Sep 20, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Old Sep 20, 2020, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Sorry... Are these HONs who live in Ireland??
IRL = In real life. That is, HON I have actually met in person as opposed to on the interwebz.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 2:45 pm

IRL = In real life. That is, HON I have actually met in person as opposed to on the interwebz.
Ha!! Thank you - of course...
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Raul_R
I think F will stay.
... Well of course we will see. But I still don’t see where they will put F if they keep it- right now it seems like only 748 because 380 and 346 are in storage. And it wouldn’t surprise me if even 748 bites the dust- 4 engines...

LH could go for F on 779 after all, on 787 or on the later batch of 359. But does anyone think they will?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.