Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M&M Mastercard and Diners for UK members [ended April 2021]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2023, 3:31 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
This may (or may not) be of interest to some.

Will the Star Alliance credit card come to the UK? I chat with CEO Theo Panagiotoulias (Head for Points)

The Star Alliance credit card in Australia is the first airline alliance co-brand credit card to be issued worldwide. It is of particular interest to us in the UK because both United Airlines and Lufthansa have pulled out of the UK card market in the past five years … leaving a major gap in the market.

We have long argued that the UK is the perfect market for such a card, with virtually all Star Alliance airlines operating flights here. With no ‘home’ airline, such a card would also avoid competing against its own airline members – no doubt one of the reasons it launched in Australia, too.

Should a similar card launch in the UK, it would be paramount to get Miles & More onboard. Across the group (Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian etc) they fly more frequencies to the UK than any other Star Alliance airline, including to more regional destinations. Such a card would be hugely beneficial to those beyond London who fly from one of Lufthansa’s 13 UK airports and connect onwards via Frankfurt or Munich.
chris63, FlyerLX and vantage03 like this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:14 pm

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
I have some more long haul flights this year which I could credit to M&M and would get me to silver (just under 37k miles if I calculate correctly); I'm not going to be able to get any status on UA as I only have 2 flights and no chance to get any more in 2023. What are people's opinions as to whether this would cancel out any future 1 mile credits to stop miles expiring? But equally, if I read the rules right, this would get me 2 years of M&M silver (as the move to 1 year status only starts next year) and thus 2 more years of points extension and hopefully I'll have burned my backlog by then... I don't think, even if I retract my existing UA miles credited this year move them somewhere else I can get gold anwhere, and crediting to UA would only get me just over 30k miles.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Leedsflyer
I have some more long haul flights this year which I could credit to M&M and would get me to silver (just under 37k miles if I calculate correctly); I'm not going to be able to get any status on UA as I only have 2 flights and no chance to get any more in 2023. What are people's opinions as to whether this would cancel out any future 1 mile credits to stop miles expiring? But equally, if I read the rules right, this would get me 2 years of M&M silver (as the move to 1 year status only starts next year) and thus 2 more years of points extension and hopefully I'll have burned my backlog by then... I don't think, even if I retract my existing UA miles credited this year move them somewhere else I can get gold anwhere, and crediting to UA would only get me just over 30k miles.
Yes, if you qualify for Frequent traveller, it would be 2 Years & your miles will not expire until after Feb 26
Old Dec 27, 2023, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I was surprised to see 1 mile added in September. I didn't login to my account for ages, after I made last booking for future date. Now, I don't see any expiration warning on my account, does it mean, I can cancel my booking made in March and get my miles back without any penalty?
Old Dec 27, 2023, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
AwardWallet shows my expiry as 31/3 but not sure why.

There is good reason to assume an extension ;-)
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:57 am

I checked my account and it says: "Mileage expiry: 2,844 -M- expire on 06/30/2024" I have 2848 miles on the account. So not, not sure if I can cancel existing booking and miles will come back to the account or will they expire? Booking made before previous expiration date on 30/03/2023.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
I checked my account and it says: "Mileage expiry: 2,844 -M- expire on 06/30/2024" I have 2848 miles on the account. So not, not sure if I can cancel existing booking and miles will come back to the account or will they expire? Booking made before previous expiration date on 30/03/2023.
If you rebook with an agent, you should be ok, almost certainly if you cancel your miles will be lost.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:24 am

Rebooking won't help me a lot, because there's a limit of 12 months from initial booking.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 4:55 am

Mile 1 202424.01.2024 M&M CREDIT CARD Expiry Protection
New protection posted on the account.

After advice on another forum, I think, I will cancel my booking and book new one on the same call, to save my miles and trip.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 3:55 pm

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
Mile 1 202424.01.2024 M&M CREDIT CARD Expiry Protection
New protection posted on the account.
Thanks for the head's up -- I just checked my a/c and I also got another 1mile protection on 24 Jan 24
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:08 pm

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Thanks for the head's up -- I just checked my a/c and I also got another 1mile protection on 24 Jan 24
My account also received 1 mile for “Expiry Protection” in January and now the account states “Your miles are protected and cannot expire”.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by camille55
My account also received 1 mile for “Expiry Protection” in January and now the account states “Your miles are protected and cannot expire”.
Me too. But if you click on the "i" next to that, it says that they are only protected if you have a CC or status, so not clear that this means we have indefinite protection. But the series of 1 mile extensions is promising. I guess we will get 3 months notice if not...
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance , BA
Me too. But if you click on the "i" next to that, it says that they are only protected if you have a CC or status, so not clear that this means we have indefinite protection. But the series of 1 mile extensions is promising. I guess we will get 3 months notice if not...
When I called to clarify, they told me the miles will expire 30 September, 2024.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:21 pm

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Originally Posted by Teatimer
When I called to clarify, they told me the miles will expire 30 September, 2024.
@ Teatime - Thanks, helpful datapoint

@ Leedsflyer - I too have the "i", with same wording as you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.