Search

Identifying reason for delay (OS452) 20 July

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Identifying reason for delay (OS452) 20 July

Hi,

Would anybody be so kind to help me identify the reason for the delay to OS452 today from LHR-VIE? I missed my connection and will be arriving 3hrs+ late at my destination so delay compensation may well be due.

Thanks, Rich
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Looks like it got caught up in the general delays that LHR departures have been experiencing in the last couple of days (FlightRadar24 showed that most morning departures had significant/major delays).

The incoming flight (OS 451) actually landed on time (0822 vs 0820 STA) but took off 60 min late. Thanks to padding it came in 35 min late but obviously that was enough for you to miss your connection.

On Wednesday evening Heathrow experienced severe disruptions (some relating specifically to BA, others more general) and this had major knock-on effects into Thursday. Possibly the delays today might still be related to that.
You could try also asking on the BAEC forum as the guys there will be able to give tons of info on any current issues at LHR.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44885185
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - the plane ended up departing from gate B46. I don’t usually use T2 at Heathrow but that gate was a good 15 minute walk (according to the signs) from the terminal and Lufthansa lounge etc. The flights departing from their seemed to be intercontinentals (United, some flight to India etc). Is that normal?

But on balance looks more like LHR issues than Austrian issues so no EC261 claim?

Rich
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:00 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by richonlybyname
Thanks - the plane ended up departing from gate B46. I don’t usually use T2 at Heathrow but that gate was a good 15 minute walk (according to the signs) from the terminal and Lufthansa lounge etc. The flights departing from their seemed to be intercontinentals (United, some flight to India etc). Is that normal?

But on balance looks more like LHR issues than Austrian issues so no EC261 claim?

Rich
I‘m not sure congestion and traffic is a valid excuse to deny compensation so I‘d go for the compensation.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:12 am

Rich
Yes, T2 is the main terminal for Star Alliance carriers (LH, UA, etc.). They can be short-haul and long-haul.

I agree with NickArt's advice - there's no harm in trying a claim anyway.

One other thing I'd add is that it's generally not good to combine tight connections with transitions between Schengen and non-Schengen. In those situations, everything has to be perfect for you to make your connection. If you miss your connection due to the inbound being 30 minutes late, then clearly something isn't right, as that level of delay is nothing out of the ordinary.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art

I‘m not sure congestion and traffic is a valid excuse to deny compensation so I‘d go for the compensation.
It's still probably worth trying a claim but the consensus in the BA forum is that the IRROPS related to what just happened at LHR comes under extraordinary circumstances and EC261 won't fly. This is the kind of case (shot to nothing) where I'd choose one of those claims chasers so as not to waste too much of my own time on it.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:21 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Would anybody be so kind to help me identify the reason for the delay to OS452 today from LHR-VIE?
No reason has been provided by OS:

[KVS Tool 8.9.7/Diamond - Operational Info: OS 452/20 Jul 2018]
Code:
                 Planned Flight Info
Segment          Departure  Arrival    Duration
-------          ---------  ---------  --------
LHR-VIE          09:05      12:25      02:20

Segment          Flight Note
-------          -------------------------------------------------
LHR-VIE          Departure Terminal:  2
LHR-VIE          Amenity:             Non-Smoking [9]
LHR-VIE          Ticket Type:         E-Ticket [ET]
LHR-VIE          Cabin Configuration: C4 M194
LHR-VIE          CO2/PAX:             126.94 KG ECO, 126.94 KG PRE
                 Source:              ICAO Carbon Emissions Calc

Location  Time   Operational Event
--------  -----  ---------------------------
LHR       09:30  Estimated Time Of Departure
LHR       09:35  Left The Gate
LHR       10:06  Took Off
VIE       13:11  Estimated Time Of Arrival
VIE       12:55  Aircraft Landed
VIE       13:04  Arrived
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Hi,

Would anybody be so kind to help me identify the reason for the delay to OS452 today from LHR-VIE? I missed my connection and will be arriving 3hrs+ late at my destination so delay compensation may well be due.

Thanks, Rich
What did OS answer you on your question?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
What did OS answer you on your question?
Still awaiting a response after a good few weeks!
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Still awaiting a response after a good few weeks!
I received this welcome no-quibble e-mail today, surprised I didn't have to fight! Still no response from my Air Moldova claim submitted the same day!

Dear Mr Richonlybyname,

Thank you for your online feedback dated 10 August 2018. We regret that you were affected by a flight delay on your journey from London to Vienna on 20 July 2018. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this had caused you. To demonstrate our commitment to customer service, we are pleased to provide EUR 400 compensation equivalent to GBP 356. Please allow some days for the payment to clear. Thank you in advance for your patience in this respect. We would be pleased if you would consider flying Austrian Airlines in the future and afford us the opportunity to regain your trust in our reliability.

Yours sincerely,

Friendly Chap

AUSTRIAN AIRLINES
Feedback Management
Headoffice Office Park 2,
P.O. Box 33,
A-1300 Vienna Airport,
Austria
Fax +43 (0)5 1766 51002
www.austrian.com/feedback
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:12 am

EUR 400 compensation equivalent to GBP 356
I'm positively surprised that they didn't pocket a large % on the FX. That's refreshing.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by mmff
I'm positively surprised that they didn't pocket a large % on the FX. That's refreshing.
I think that OS just puts out the outgoing in EUR value, and just gives the GBP as an indicative value. It's still possible that the British bank cuts off some value for FX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.