Wiki Posts
Search

Availability in F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Availability in F

It used to be that two weeks out or less that you could find a decent amount F awards to FRA or MUC from the U.S. I'm seeing almost zero seats from pretty much everywhere. Did I miss the memo and has that availability dried up?
Thanks
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: LH HON
More and more flights lose F class...

how many seats and from which cities are you looking for?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I’ve been looking for FRA-BOS in F for months now for May 2018 travel. It never opened up when the booking window opened and hasn’t opened since. In fact, the only day that did open for +/- 7 days of intended travel was on a Wednesday. Given I am looking for Sunday, that was not particularly helpful.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:14 am

I was able to book BOS-FRA with SK EuroBonus in July without too much trouble. Actually BOS has quite a lot of open award space while surprisingly NYC was hard to come by. I flew Tuesday and Wednesday.

Anyhow, I had to book HAM-BOS-HAM as married segments since the individual legs HAM-FRA and FRA-BOS were not available. Didn’t matter to much as I had to fly in from CPH anyway.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I’ve been looking for FRA-BOS in F for months now for May 2018 travel. It never opened up when the booking window opened and hasn’t opened since. In fact, the only day that did open for +/- 7 days of intended travel was on a Wednesday. Given I am looking for Sunday, that was not particularly helpful.
well, only one out of 3 LH flights to BOS still has F...
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
You are looking for Sunday's only? I propose you add some flexibility to your plans (e.g. fly Wednesday's). Another way to secure a seat on Sunday's: pay. I am sure LH is ready to sell you a seat for cash on Sunday's.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:27 am

I understand the importance of flexibility. When booking 355 days out I was surprised to only see Wednesday available for M&M members. That’s all.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
I understand the importance of flexibility. When booking 355 days out I was surprised to only see Wednesday available for M&M members. That’s all.
Priority for LH is paid tickets, their revenue management is quite sophisticated, the RM bot expects to sell the seats, therefore no award tickets.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
It is quiet simple why one only may find availabilities on Wednesday. Firstly Midweek are the low demand days. Secondly LH believes / hopes that they can sell F the other days (and don't have to give it away for "free").
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by athome
It is quiet simple why one only may find availabilities on Wednesday. Firstly Midweek are the low demand days. Secondly LH believes / hopes that they can sell F the other days (and don't have to give it away for "free").
I am not stupid, and I understand why Wednesday would show up rather than a Sunday. That said, award space even a year ago was nowhere near as tight, with nearly every day available on FRA-BOS. This is a mix of losing F capacity as well as more ‘sophisticated’ RM. Either way, its disappointing for me.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by pkerr
It used to be that two weeks out or less that you could find a decent amount F awards to FRA or MUC from the U.S. I'm seeing almost zero seats from pretty much everywhere. Did I miss the memo and has that availability dried up?
Thanks
Well, yes, maybe you missed one memo and a press release and a variety of articles in various aviation and travel publications which listed all of the routes that would no longer get F with LH. Sure BOS still does, but since other locations don't, there is still the demand so perhaps people are routing to other cities.

Then, as perfectly noted by other posters here, LH and most airlines would rather sell seats for actual cash. After that, LH may prefer to hold inventory maybe for certain members, or bid upgrades.

Many airlines are eliminating F cabins, others are ordering new aircraft without F cabins. I don't know if LH's overall F inventory fluctuates but all of the partner airlines have to make a percentage of seats (value) available to the alliance partners for redemption. I'm quite sure there is no rule that says when or exactly which dates.

Others may know more but I would gently suggest that it doesn't really matter what was. What matters is what we can find when we want to fly and how flexible we are.

Happy travels.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: M&M FTL
What others said. I had the same problem looking for F last summer. Managed to snatch a seat out of ORD via Lifemiles. I think ORD is honestly one of your better bets, especially when they have two flights to FRA from like June-Sept. West coast and IAH almost impossible.... Just keep looking (patiently) it can take a while to find one.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You can stop looking. You will not find F availability for May 2018. I can guarantee that.
N1003U likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions.
Does a list exist or would someone know which US cites LH flies out of to either MUC or FRA that still have F seats? I'm pretty flexibilbe for departure points. Be it BOS, ORD or even YUL (Montreal)
Thanks
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:46 pm

If you're flexible seats are still available.

I was able to get MUC-LAX and LAX-MUC this summer. Both were booked 2 days before travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.