FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Lufthansa to introduce new/revised branding & livery in 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1870003-lufthansa-introduce-new-revised-branding-livery-2018-a.html)

tuolumne Feb 1, 2018 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 29367692)
The full details are in the LH inflight Magazine which went live today:

Thank you.

I like the new blue and think it presents a confident powerful message the the world.

United still has it's [ugly] yellow hue to distinguish premium United Global Services. Uh huh. LH didn't make the same mistake they made (i.e., going backwards 20 years in branding terms[literally]).

Bravo LH. !

Ber2dca Feb 1, 2018 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 29367272)
So many areas this money could be spent on improving the customer experience than this.

Boring. Echo chamber management.

You are exactly right. It's a pointless measure that probably already has cost significant sums and will cost significant more down the line for a non-tangible effect. It probably sounded really cool in someone's Powerpoint presentation though.

tuolumne Feb 1, 2018 5:04 pm

Monies cannot just be taken from one place (marketing/branding), and placed into another (capex). It doesn't work that way .

Prospero Feb 1, 2018 5:21 pm

I like the new livery. It is elegant and refined, proving less is more.

Ber2dca Feb 1, 2018 5:33 pm

I'm not gonna speculate on LH's internal budgeting processes, so I won't comment that. But the reality of it is that it's a re-branding that you wouldn't exactly have identified as a need for the brand. Lufthansa has a strong brand already and is one of the most recognizable airlines worldwide. I don't think I've ever come across someone going "Gee if only they got rid of the yellow, I might give them a shot!"

I'm aware how branding strategies are formulated and what the rationale here is, but I'm also extremely skeptical of the utility of this type of change. Surprisingly often, re-brands happen purely for the sake of it and it's hardly unheard of for such decisions to backfire (which isn't that surprising if you pit the egos of a few people in a corporate meeting room vs. iconic designs familiar to millions of people).

atcanobbio Feb 1, 2018 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by SpewyMcSpew (Post 29366471)

pretty boring and unimaginative but not bad...i feel the same way about it as i did about AC's refresh. At least AC kept the red!

i think LH should have (maybe) extended the white stripe along the leading edge of the vertical tail along all edges of the vertical tail. I think it could have added a bit of pop to the, otherwise, boring tail. I can see it in my head, if I had the Photoshop skills, i'd do the modification on the pic below and show you all.

EDIT: i was able to do what I stated above on MS paint. Kinda mkes the tail stand out a bit more, no? :)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...85ff76b81c.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...072e073f0b.jpg

seattle29 Feb 1, 2018 7:38 pm

Seems like the original creator of the Photoshopped image in post #59 had some inside knowledge!

8420PR Feb 1, 2018 8:22 pm

I recommend reading the LH Magazine article kindly shared by Oliver2002 - I found it interesting.

From the article:
- For those complaining about the cost: planes will be painted when 'technically required' - i.e. they would have been repainted anyway, and it will take 7 years [edited: I made a mistake with 15 years - thanks klausa] years until every aircraft has the new livery. Cabin items (coat hangars is the example in the article) will be replaced with the new design when they break.
- For those complaining about the missing yellow: there will be a yellow 'welcome panel' left of the forward door. The article says they are 'reducing the amount of yellow, but improving the quality' - whatever that means.

I must admit, I don't really care about the livery on planes but I found myself following this thread.... My first reaction on seeing the new livery was disappointment (mostly at the missing yellow) but now I'm coming round and like it.

klausa Feb 1, 2018 8:26 pm

They said it will take 7 years to repaint every frame, not 15 — they said they're gonna have 15 _percent_ done this year.

mywaterbroke Feb 2, 2018 3:42 am

I absolutely HATE it! Who in their right mind approved this? And more importantly how do LH employees feel about it? Looks like an exact replica of the Syrian Air livery. The current one is timeless, classy, glamorous and has a lot of history behind it. Kind of like the Benz star or the BMW kidneys. Why mess with such a winning formula and instead come up with something that looks so cheap and low-cost?? May have worked as a one-off special livery but for this to roll out fleet-wide? NO!

San Gottardo Feb 2, 2018 4:30 am

It’s boring. It’s Lufthansa.

And while it doesn’t look bad (just boring),I also realise that they have chosen the best looking plane in their fleet, the 747-8i, to show the new livery. Won’t be as elegant on the plump and chubby A380.

oliver2002 Feb 2, 2018 4:55 am

The more I look at it the idea that its a near copy of the QF livery: (all white, slight modernisation of the iconic animal, accent on the leading edge of the tail, etc)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0388e4cbdd.jpg
They modified the Helvetica font just enough to stay clear of licensing issues...

mywaterbroke Feb 2, 2018 7:32 am

Ber2dca Feb 2, 2018 9:19 am

Well I guess there is a certain logic to that. ;) Not saying any more to avoid taking that too far off-topic.

If they really want to take 15 years to repaint the whole fleet you gotta wonder how much confidence they have in the design as that means they can walk it back with minimal issues if the feedback is poor. I guess it also could show the long-term vision of LH. "In 10 years you'll have a new business class, in 15 years a new livery" (and in 50 years you can all use it at the new BER airport).

worldclubber Feb 2, 2018 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Ber2dca (Post 29371522)
Well I guess there is a certain logic to that. ;) Not saying any more to avoid taking that too far off-topic.

If they really want to take 15 years to repaint the whole fleet you gotta wonder how much confidence they have in the design as that means they can walk it back with minimal issues if the feedback is poor. I guess it also could show the long-term vision of LH. "In 10 years you'll have a new business class, in 15 years a new livery" (and in 50 years you can all use it at the new BER airport).

Nobody said anything about 15 years. 15 percent by the end of 2018, all by 2025.