Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New hub in Poland (?) [CPK discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
And just who are they gonna get to move out to RDO? We've established that FR has a sweet deal at WMI so no incentive for them. And W6 have already come out and said they see no earthly reason to move there. This is what the Prezes, Varadi, said: "nie mamy żadnych planów w kierunku Radomia, bo nasi klienci chcą latać z Okęcia" (link: Czy warszawiacy b?d? lata? z Radomia? Prezes Wizz Aira: Chcemy zosta? na Ok?ciu)

If they couldn't stop LCJ from becoming a ghost airport, what hope is there for RDO? Maybe they could throw some cash in Stelios' direction and persuade U2 to set up there!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who's money can they chuck? Its an absolute joke.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
And just who are they gonna get to move out to RDO?
Not who, but how. Supposedly an administrative decision is their wunderwaffe.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:23 am
Original Poster

A follow-up on this -

I've heard on RMF FM earlier this morning (on my way to the airport, funnily enough) that a decision on the local referendum for the new airport (CPK alias Centralny Port Komunikacyjny) is expected today, with the inhabitants of Baranów who, should this (i.e. the referendum) go ahead, will let the rest of Poland know whether they are happy about the big plan (or not)

P.S.: I'm still hoping that things will stay as they are, mostly because I can literally walk to Chopin airport, very convenient indeed

G
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: QR Platinum, ITA Executive, HH Silver, IHG Silver
There is one thing I don't quite understand about this whole thing. I get that WAW is filling up quite quickly, and despite having a little bit of room in terms of pax capacity, it is not that easy when certain time slots are more desirable. I can also understand that a possible terminal expansion has its limits. However, I have not seen anybody consider building a new terminal. There is plenty of space around the airport, for example on the opposite side of the runway, where the PAŻP headquarters is located. Of course, new apron, taxiways and some sort of link between terminals would have to be constructed, but surely that would be cheaper than building a new airport (even if offset by selling away the WAW plot).

Another argument that I keep hearing is that WAW only has two runways. Newsflash - LGW also has two (with only one is active at the time), but somehow handles 45m passengers annually (compared to WAW's 15m).
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
A follow-up on this -

I've heard on RMF FM earlier this morning (on my way to the airport, funnily enough) that a decision on the local referendum for the new airport (CPK alias Centralny Port Komunikacyjny) is expected today, with the inhabitants of Baranów who, should this (i.e. the referendum) go ahead, will let the rest of Poland know whether they are happy about the big plan (or not)

P.S.: I'm still hoping that things will stay as they are, mostly because I can literally walk to Chopin airport, very convenient indeed

G
G, you'll still be able to walk there (Okęcie!) even if the RDO and CPK plans come to fruition. You just might not find that many actual flights to catch!
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:08 am
Original Poster

G, you'll still be able to walk there (Okęcie!) even if the RDO and CPK plans come to fruition. You just might not find that many actual flights to catch!
Class!

G
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:21 am
Original Poster

In the meantime, runway 29 is getting some maintenance/new tarmac

G
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Referendum (CPK Tak/CPK Nie ) now confirmed and due to take place in Baranów on June 17th.

G
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:38 pm

Referendum (CPK Tak/CPK Nie ) now confirmed and due to take place in Baranów on June 17th.

G
So presumably if the good folk of Baranow vote Tak, there will then be a referendum for everyone in Warsaw, asking them if they're okay with their local airport being put out to pasture and ops being shifted to Baranow?

No need to answer. It's a rhetorical question.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

the good folk of Baranow
I suspect they will be eager to hear how much the government is willing to pay for them to sell their lands (or to become słoiki and indeed pack-up & relocate to Warszawa )

G
yurtripper likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:44 pm

I suspect they will be eager to hear how much the government is willing to pay for them to sell their lands (or to become słoiki and indeed pack-up & relocate to Warszawa )

G
^
słoiki - genius level comment. And maybe the newly enriched słoiki, once they've ensconced themselves in Warszawa, will complain about having to get the bus back to Baranow, merely to catch their regular J class flights to JFK or ORD

Like the highlanders who made a killing by selling off or leasing out their land. The repatriations used to flow from Chicago and New York to the places around Rzeszow; now I think it mostly flows the other way!
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:45 am
Original Poster

will complain about having to get the bus back to Baranow, merely to catch their regular J class flights to JFK or ORD
Cracking, that made my day

słoiki - genius level comment
Before anyone gets offended (you never know this day & age - do you!), I'm a słoik myself and, even worse, obcokrajowcem

G
Old May 31, 2018, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Centralny Port Komunikacyjny alias new [potential] hub in Poland.

The very latest say that one of the candidates for mayor of Warsaw is strongly opposed to the new airport (he made reference to the BER fiasco, amongst other things), but it seems (at least according to various local press sources) that things are progressing fairly quickly, despite the protests from the residents of Baranów.

Personally speaking, I'm still hoping it's not gonna happen (being able to walk to WAW is possibly a benefit at par with lounge access and the likes ).

G
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Basia does stuff like that, I assume because they can’t find enough work for the Embraer sorry I mean, we need CPK now, WAW is full!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.