Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New hub in Poland (?) [CPK discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Beides the new airport cost aa additional big cost block will be to move LOT's operations to the new facility. LoT doesnt have cash for such a move right now.
It's 10 years out at least, so not really right now.
And I don't think they have such a big operations footprint anyway. Maintenance, catering etc have been spun and sold off a while ago.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess there’s no need to bother opening the new lounges then, if the new airport is opening so soon. It’s a good marker to the on-time probability of that project .
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Slightly off-topic but plans for an imminent expansion of WAW (a gentle reminder to all users not to mention the O-kęcie word from now on! ) —pending approval from the Ministry of Defence (the helicopter stand will have to be relocated)— have been announced earlier today: a larger non-Schengen’s section as well as the expansion of the southern part of the terminal and 40 new stands (let us hope for as many jetbridges as possible) amongst others, forming a project which should soon be put into practice.

G
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:23 pm

Plans are pending the military retreats from the space they're currently occupying so nothing set in stone yet.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Slightly off-topic but plans for an imminent expansion of WAW (a gentle reminder to all users not to mention the O-kęcie word from now on! ) —pending approval from the Ministry of Defence (the helicopter stand will have to be relocated)— have been announced earlier today: a larger non-Schengen’s section as well as the expansion of the southern part of the terminal and 40 new stands (let us hope for as many jetbridges as possible) amongst others, forming a project which should soon be put into practice.
This seems a lot more cost-effective than a whole new airport. And a lot more convenient for people needing to be in Warsaw.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:11 pm

I don't think it's instead of the new CPL?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
An expansion of WAW most certainly pushes the new airport back for a few years. In October I had the pleasure of two 4h transit in WAW and walked the concourse to look at where they could expand. I think there is plenty of space in the north to extend the non-schengen pier almost all the way upto the GA terminal and in the south the cargo building could be moved to extend that pier by 10-15 gates. I don't see how/why the military base has to move...? Unless they insist on access to the runway, where an extension of the non schengen section would be in the way. Do they even have fixed wing aircraft based there? Isn't it all helicopters?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they don’t hurry up before Brexit then Shareeza’s cheque might get lost in the post and this will never happen.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
An expansion of WAW most certainly pushes the new airport back for a few years. In October I had the pleasure of two 4h transit in WAW and walked the concourse to look at where they could expand. I think there is plenty of space in the north to extend the non-schengen pier almost all the way upto the GA terminal and in the south the cargo building could be moved to extend that pier by 10-15 gates. I don't see how/why the military base has to move...? Unless they insist on access to the runway, where an extension of the non schengen section would be in the way. Do they even have fixed wing aircraft based there? Isn't it all helicopters?
It doesn't really push back. It's just a stop gap measure to handle the expected traffic until the new airport is built.

The military handles all the VIP traffic, so it's not only helis.

In other news, PPL (the authority behind WAW and probably CPL) is signing a letter of intent to expand RDO as a 'second' airport for Warsaw to serve lower yield traffic (at a cost of up to 1b PLN). If you're wondering why the hell would they do that if WMI is operational then you're not alone :-). But you also probably don't have public money to spend on a power play.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Lack
If you're wondering why the hell would they do that if WMI is operational then you're not alone :-)
Pure politics a la polonaise. The ruling party has no control over WMI (its majority shareholder is the Mazovia province, which is not ruled by the Law and Justice Party; government-controlled PPL having a minority of shares still allows them to block investments, though), and if they can't fully control something, they want it destroyed. RDO on the other hand was created because the mayor of Radom, a Law and Justice politician, had this idee fixe.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by marcoos
Pure politics a la polonaise. The ruling party has no control over WMI (its majority shareholder is the Mazovia province, which is not ruled by the Law and Justice Party; government-controlled PPL having a minority of shares still allows them to block investments, though), and if they can't fully control something, they want it destroyed. RDO on the other hand was created because the mayor of Radom, a Law and Justice politician, had this idee fixe.
Actually, PPL has a higher (marginally) stake then Mazowsze. And combined with AMW (over seen by central government) they hold 2/3 of the shares.
The trouble is that any business decision needs to be fully agreed upon by all the shareholders, so even a minority can hold the whole enterprise hostage.
Having been played by Ryanair also doesn't help, but as a very special moment - nobody is even pointing finger at a physical person for it (probably because of the previous sentence).
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So FR signed MOU to fly from Radom? Otherwise how were they played?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
So FR signed MOU to fly from Radom? Otherwise how were they played?

Not that I know of, and I have no idea why they would, given the sweet deal they got going on in WMI (which seems to be the main issue of the airport).
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From your post I thought you were saying that RDO was not just about PiS but also FR.

I don’t feel Ryanair have done anything untoward in Poland. There’s no business case to fly to many of these provincial cities. If you want them to come, pay them. They’re cheaper than paying for LOT and bring more pax!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:38 am

I'm not a fan of FR myself, but they contract required two signatures, so I'd like the public figures to be held accountable (which I believe includes PPL as a stakeholder).

The problem is that with the money FR pays per pax in WMI isn't really enough to keep the airport running longer term (to cover necessary investment in infrastructure) and also guarantees an uphill battle for any competition that the airport may hope to attract.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.