Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Can LUFTHANSA and Turkish merge itineraries if bought separate to avoid bag reclaim

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can LUFTHANSA and Turkish merge itineraries if bought separate to avoid bag reclaim

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Question.
My very first post !!!!

To save money (Massive discount) I booked separate tickets:
TURKISH Airlines from Varna, Bulgaria to Istanbul,
then purchased
LUFTHANSA, from IST to FRA to LAX.

Can the checked in personnel at Varna access both itineraries and check bags to LAX for me to avoid picking up bags at IST? connection time is 1hr and 55 min.
The difference in business class fare was 5k versus 9k had i linked them from the get go...

Very tricky and am wondering since both are star alliance can my plan work
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Cross posting not allowed http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...final-lax.html

They can, but are not obliged. Political situation between Germany and Turkey is getting tricky (recent withdrawal of German troops from Turkey) and that may have huge influence... If they don't check you through, you are risking a lot...
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:59 am

The problem is airlines are taking on an obligation (including financial) in checking bags through on separate tickets... an obligation they have no need to take on... some will...some won't.

Separate tickets CAN be a great saving... but one needs to build in decent/lengthy connections...just in case.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It is unlikely that they will do this. If the GA doesn't do it (likely), you will have to pick up you bags in IST and re-check them (and go through security again). If your flight is late, etc etc, and you do not show up for your FRA flight, that entire ticket with all future segments will be auto-cancelled and you'll end up having to buy a new ticket home as you will not be accommodated on later flights. Sorry to sound harsh, but these are the realities/dangers of buying separate tickets.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Admittedly, I have no experience with Varna, but in general TK is quite good at checking bags to final destinatin even when on separate tickets; at least when it is TK ->TK. It may make a difference that it is TK ->LH. However, it is entirely up to the agent that you speak to at Varna.

As stated above, TK is able to do it, but that doesn't mean that the check-in agents are prepared to do it for you. Be nice, explain that you prefer to stay airside at IST, that you will not have enough time to enter Turkey for re-check-in of your bags etc.- the check-in agent may take pity on you then. You need to show the e-ticket receipt for your onward journey with LH.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by 1kstaralliance
1hr and 55 min
I was going to say it was alright until I read this bit. Your utility function must be very different than mine, no way I'd put 4k on the line* with less than 2 hours of connecting time.

Maybe time for you to sign up for travel insurance which covers short connections on separate tickets?

* Bear in mind that the walk-up fare at IST would likely cost you more than this.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mmff
Maybe time for you to sign up for travel insurance which covers short connections on separate tickets?
Many travel insurance policies have an ex post rule. In other words, you can't insure for an event (ticket purchase mistake leading to a claim when separate ticket is cancelled) that has already occurred.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by vbroucek
They can, but are not obliged.
They cannot. Itineraries/PNRs cannot be merged.

What they *could* do is check the bag through....but they won't. Not so much for the reasons you wrote, but for many other reasons. (Interlining is a service intended only for single tickets, and airlines are increasingly distancing themselves from the practice of interlining across separate tickets, if only because it implicates them in the baggage retrieval/compensation process if the later airline on a completely different ticket loses it; and anyways, LH has long despised TK and does everything it can to deter its customers from straying to TK - look at the earning rates Miles & More offers on TK flights!!!)
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:57 am

If you cannot check your baggage thru you need to observe the check in deadline. This is 60 min before the flight. Lufthansa is very strict. H append to me once. I was 2 minutes late and they refused to check me in.
Assuming your flight is on time you need to deplane, go thru immigration, pick up your luggage, go thru customs, make your way to the check in counter, hope that there is no line for a later flight and be at the counter within less than 55 min.
I would not risk this, especially not with an inflexible ticket.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
What you can do in 1h 55min in IST is, if the TK agent in Varna refuses to interline for you, to run to the transfer counter with your onward BPs. The transfer counter staff are more sympathetic from my experience. They might help you call the gate/baggage handlers on the ramp to find your bags and send them to plane for your onward flight.

Just make sure you don't put anything of significant value into your checked baggage.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With only 1h55min connection at IST on separate tickets the only solution is to travel HBO as I see it. Expecting to be able to clear immigration, pick-up luggage and make it to LH check-in counters in 55 min is very optimistic and is likely to fail - if the OP does not make it to the check-in counters in time, he/she wil be SOL.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unionruler
What you can do in 1h 55min in IST is, if the TK agent in Varna refuses to interline for you, to run to the transfer counter with your onward BPs. The transfer counter staff are more sympathetic from my experience. They might help you call the gate/baggage handlers on the ramp to find your bags and send them to plane for your onward flight.
Wow, I have never heard of this before. First hand experience with TK or LH at IST? If true this would be quite extraordinary ground handling services.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: LH FTL
Id say if u want to be more sure , ask ..find some phone numbers on Varna airport website , you should be able to contact the TK ground handling in there.
Or if its not a big inconvenience for you , better don't check bags ..if u fly business u have 2 hand luggages + laptop/backpack anyway..
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
Maybe time for you to sign up for travel insurance which covers short connections on separate tickets
I'd be interested to know if such an insurance actually exists in Europe. I looked for one but could not for the life of me find an insurance that would explicitly cover such an event.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Wow, I have never heard of this before. First hand experience with TK or LH at IST? If true this would be quite extraordinary ground handling services.
They are more dedicated to the cause of *A/ want to see it actually operate as an alliance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.