Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH to take over 100% of SN

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The Aircraft and crew will be moved to EW, the branding and face to the customer will remain SN.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:56 am

Confirmed this morning via SN; SN stays in Star Alliance. No ifs ands or buts. Nothing changes re the earnings grid or redemption grid.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suggested SN would not leave Star. But the speculation from previous posters was they would leave Star. Given UA and what not codeshare just fine on EW.

i would disappointed to see SN leave Star.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
I suggested SN would not leave Star. But the speculation from previous posters was they would leave Star. Given UA and what not codeshare just fine on EW.

i would disappointed to see SN leave Star.
don't you love baseless speculations?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
I don't see why they would leave Star. It sounds as if the Eurowings tie-up is more of a corporate structure decision, especially if it's true that SN already has the lowest costs of the whole group. In other words, SN is already formatted exactly how they want EW to be with a low cost, low fare shorthaul and a mildly more formal product for longhaul.

LH is the flagship brand, LX and OS are the niche/boutique brands, and SN fits in with EW as the low cost/fun/youth brands. At least that's what it looks like.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by char777
I don't see why they would leave Star. It sounds as if the Eurowings tie-up is more of a corporate structure decision, especially if it's true that SN already has the lowest costs of the whole group. In other words, SN is already formatted exactly how they want EW to be with a low cost, low fare shorthaul and a mildly more formal product for longhaul.

LH is the flagship brand, LX and OS are the niche/boutique brands, and SN fits in with EW as the low cost/fun/youth brands. At least that's what it looks like.
The bizarre thing is that with the exception of Eurowings, all the airline names are strongly associated with a *country*. Why is Germany flagship, Switzerland and Austria boutique, and Belgium youth/cheap/fun? Do you go to Germany for business, and to Switzerland and Austria for posh personalized holidays while your hipster kids go to Belgium for fun?

The logic escapes me, but who knows, maybe this is how middle-european marketing people see Europe.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by snic
The bizarre thing is that with the exception of Eurowings, all the airline names are strongly associated with a *country*. Why is Germany flagship, Switzerland and Austria boutique, and Belgium youth/cheap/fun? Do you go to Germany for business, and to Switzerland and Austria for posh personalized holidays while your hipster kids go to Belgium for fun?

The logic escapes me, but who knows, maybe this is how middle-european marketing people see Europe.
LH is the flagship brand because it's the Lufthansa group and due to its sheer size and scope compared to LX/OS/SN/EW
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by snic
while your hipster kids go to Belgium for fun?
Having lived in Belgium, Switzerland, and Germany I actually think Belgium is definitely the most fun of the four, with Switzerland and Austria being way posher than Germany.

So you might be onto something here.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:34 am

It also probably has to do with the fact that, aside from EW, SN is the newest airline of the group, having only incorporated in 2002/2006, and therefore probably already has a low cost structure.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

SN & LX had post bankruptcy haircuts with their staff and pension funds, OS had a clean up via VO. Hence their rather low cost structures.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
SN & LX had post bankruptcy haircuts with their staff and pension funds, OS had a clean up via VO. Hence their rather low cost structures.
Oh right, forgot about SR/LX. Disregard my previous idiotic statement.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:22 am

In W17/18 SN is handing some frequencies on BRU-TXL to EW op by AB A319: http://www.luchtzak.be/airlines/luft...usiness-class/
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Becoming part of Eurowings will make Brussels Airlines a Low Cost Carrier like Ryanair?

No, Brussels Airlines will maintain its level of high quality passenger experience both on the ground and in the air. Just because they may have pricing models that mimic those of LCC's, thats where the similarities end. Brussels Airlines has successfully adapted its commercial strategy in order to compete with the high low cost competition, so the products are similar to Eurowings.
Really? But they don't even serve water or anything else on intra-Europe economy fares unless you bought up to the higher (highest?) coach fare class?

Yes, they did go the LCC route. These PR people can spin it however they'd like.

-RM
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:36 am

SN's regional network originates in part from Virgin Express, so loco style catering has tradition on short haul. The current eco light product predates EW and the other HBO fares with the LH group.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:46 pm

It appears (article in Dutch with a lot more details than this one in English) that LH has fired the SN CEO and CFO, to be replaced with the current commercial director.

Apparently LH wants to completely integrate SN into EW, while Mr Gustin (CEO) did not see it that way. Ms Förster (CD) is on the other hand very much in tune with Mr Spohr.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.