Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH to take over 100% of SN

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was thinking Gustin did quite a good job given they have some very thirsty old A330s, an extremely competitive SH market in Belgium and their core Africa market is under big pressure from within Star and even KL.

The answer is not more regulation but encouraging competition by freeing up regulation. Brussels (as in the EU) loves convergence, mergers, they don’t promote competition as the solution but to regulate more giving more federalism as the answer. I reject this. We don’t want a market like in the US. Carriers are very nationalistic things. Something the public love but the political class (& CEOs) completely misunderstand because like many things in the airline industry it’s impossible to appropriate the revenue that it provides.

It’s a slide to the bottom for SN to lose its Belgian identity and if I were Belgian I would find this disturbing. Down the road is just more flights to FRA and MUC because without the SH network there’s no feed at all. I’m sure bilateral in place between BE and African nations can be negotiated and flights moved to Germany which LH will argue is better because there will be more connection opportunities and those African nations are weak negotiating partners. Abolishing the SN brand (many elements of Sabena were kept and that’s why it’s still SN) will go down like a tonne of bricks in Africa with people asking who the heck EW are.

So I guess SN will leave Star, which is such a pity. I avoid EW. It’s a LCC or one of those high fares LCC.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
So what the heck is actually happening?

https://press.brusselsairlines.com/n...ssels-airlines
All this really says is that they fired the CEO/CFO of SN. It also says "Brussels Airlines will remain a Belgian entity and continue to grow"....I'm not sure whether that means that all SN flights will become EW flights operated by SN and the SN brand will essentially disappear....which is what I thought they were intending, but it does seem odd to advertise it that way if indeed the SN brand is to disappear. I personally would support EW wet-leases if that made them more cost-effective, but I think going non-*A and getting rid of the SN brand completely is dumb, especially after they've announced what they've announced.

On another note, how long do you think it'll be before all of LH group's flights minus long haul trunk routes like FRA-JFK, FRA-LAX etc have moved to some non-*A subsidary.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
On another note, how long do you think it'll be before all of LH group's flights minus long haul trunk routes like FRA-JFK, FRA-LAX etc have moved to some non-*A subsidary.
I think we'll see the same as with SQ: the vast majority of short haul on MI with one or two flights per day per (high yielding) destination operated by SQ.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
SE Asia is a very different market to Europe, I'd argue EW is already worse than MI. SQ does not have flat beds on MI or Scoot; LH is installing flat beds on EW and already has Edelweiss. I guess Austrian will go EW next once they're done with SN (I recall a doc a couple years back where LH outlined their 2025 fleet plan and Austrian was nowhere to be seen).

Given they're not giving miles or bags on cheap fares and if people access lounges it's the partners who pay, why are they so eager to have just about every flight out of *A?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by hugolover
So I guess SN will leave Star, which is such a pity. I avoid EW. It’s a LCC or one of those high fares LCC.
It's a PITA, not just a pity. Direct flights with no benefits... or connecting, with huge prices in case of one-way.
If it happens I will be very upset because there are no real decent alternatives for central & south Europe flights. I had already some antipathy for LH, now even more.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Its strange that SN staff and the Belgian public are amazed that LH is actually doing what they told everyone when they took over 100% of SN.

That said I doubt they will convert the longhaul fleet into Longhaul Wings and strip it of the various premium elements. I'm assuming that network is bringing in a decent revenue, especially in the African market. My take is that the regional fleet will become EW op by SN with the cost platform that they implemented with E2 in Austria and Spain, and the longhaul will get a cost overhaul EW style with SN Branding and product.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I must say, I didn’t think SN is much of an airline and their European flights are pretty horrible. I haven’t tried them long haul and I recall Oliver2002 once reporting back about how good one of his flights.had been.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
I must say, I didn’t think SN is much of an airline and their European flights are pretty horrible. I haven’t tried them long haul and I recall Oliver2002 once reporting back about how good one of his flights.had been.
I [personally] don't think they're that bad, product pretty much in line with other EU carriers for the purpose of A to B, they often have pretty cheap fares even if booked hours before travel, BRU is a bit of a joke when transiting A→B first in the morning (ridiculously long lines at passports, no priority arrangements, unless your flight is significantly late), yet it has decent lounges (with great beers ), making the whole experience as pleasant as it can get for the above purpose

G
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Brussels regional has been a semi LCC operation since quite a while, which can be probably traced back to its roots as LCC from the EBA/Virgin Express days... remember the SN assets were merged with Brussels/Virgin in the late 00s. The regional market ex BRU is heavily contested and I doubt they earn much there in spite of the seemingly lucrative EU business. That said I don't think they have much legacy labor costs since the entire company went thru extensive reorganisation about 10 years ago.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Interesting comments and I agree about the excellent lounges in BRU. I still wouldn’t go out of my way to fly SN though (once flew them to get from GVA to BIO).
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Did they consider moving EW into SN?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Did they consider moving EW into SN?
Yes they did but then Air Berlin went belly-up, EW took over a lot of capacity in DUS and now EW is bigger than SN so EW "wins".

Last edited by Ghentleman; Feb 7, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:23 pm

Clear statements to clarify today:
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So does it stay in Star?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
We will continue to have a Belgian company... and we will also continue to have a brand with a strong Belgian touch.
Latest Announcement: Waffles to be replaced with pretzels and Milch-Schnitte.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.