Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa Electronic Tag [and Lufthansa Group]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by brandxbrand
QUESTIONS FOR ANY E-TAG OWNERS

I'm in the US and will likely not have a need to use the e-tag any time soon. I did manage to get a cracking deal on a 32" Topas though that was too good to pass up so i plan to just use it for uploading my contact info.

Rimowa states that due the nature of E-ink, even if the battery runs out, the display still keeps the uploaded tag/screen details displayed until a new refresh is sent. With all of the talk of airlines requiring batteries being taken out, is it possible to set the e-tag with say my contact info via upload, and then remove the battery but still keep the display showing my details? Logic would suggest that if it still displays the tag/upload once the battery dies, if i actually took the battery out, it would still stay shown.

Can anyone with an e-tag Rimowa confirm? My Topas does not arrive for another week and im dying the find out!

Thanks!
You can do it exactly like this. I do not use the etag feature any more and only have my contact information displayed.
The etag used to produce more problems in the past month and I am sure it will not be a product with long term prospect. The biggest issue since the introduction of etag however is not the feature itself but the fact that there is no more third lock on the bag.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by SebFra
You can do it exactly like this. I do not use the etag feature any more and only have my contact information displayed.
The etag used to produce more problems in the past month and I am sure it will not be a product with long term prospect. The biggest issue since the introduction of etag however is not the feature itself but the fact that there is no more third lock on the bag.
Right on! Thank you!

You are right about the 3rd lock/latch. In all new 2017 models though, even those without E-tags, this middle lock has been removed too. I think the new 2017 924 Topas have more strength based on the grooves being thicker, filled and no longer machine angled, but no one has been able to confirm this. I guess i'll find out after a few legs with the bag! I have BOS>LHR in 2 weeks.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by brandxbrand
Right on! Thank you!

You are right about the 3rd lock/latch. In all new 2017 models though, even those without E-tags, this middle lock has been removed too. I think the new 2017 924 Topas have more strength based on the grooves being thicker, filled and no longer machine angled, but no one has been able to confirm this. I guess i'll find out after a few legs with the bag! I have BOS>LHR in 2 weeks.
I basically only use the E-tag on LH Group lights ex MUC, FRA, ZRH, GVA. On LH and LX. Thats it.
I would never use it ex-somewhere else going back to MUC,FRA,ZRH,GVA. and essentially use the name / contact info feature.

Too many LH Group stations outside Germany, Switzerland and Austria are not trained properly on how to handle the e-tag. EWR is good example.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:45 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by OpenSky
I basically only use the E-tag on LH Group lights ex MUC, FRA, ZRH, GVA. On LH and LX. Thats it.
I would never use it ex-somewhere else going back to MUC,FRA,ZRH,GVA. and essentially use the name / contact info feature.

Too many LH Group stations outside Germany, Switzerland and Austria are not trained properly on how to handle the e-tag. EWR is good example.
I used my electonic tag last month for a trip MUC-HND-FRA-MUC. Worked perfectly fine in both directions. The only thing that they did do at both stations (MUC - LH and HND - NH) was to attach a paper priority tag to my bag in order to ensure that it gets loaded in the proper compartment. As I said, it worked just fine and one really nice feature are the online updates of your bag status when you are connecting flights (e.g. indicating that the bag got loaded onto the connecting flight).

I really don't get the fuss about the tag and electronic tags. True, I don't want a fire to start because Lithium Ion battery packs, but why the heck did TSA mandate all electronic devices to be checked from certain airports / airlines last year. Now it looks like the authorities are making a 180 degree turn. And I assume that the AAA batteries that power the electronic tag are not as much of a risk as the lithium ion batteries. All I wish is that more airlines would adopt the electronic tag.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cas_de
one really nice feature are the online updates of your bag status when you are connecting flights (e.g. indicating that the bag got loaded onto the connecting flight)
DL does exactly the same thing just by scanning the bar code on the paper tag.

IMO e-tag is totally worthless. Just a failed attempt by Rimowa to justify a price increase.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
I checked with my brand new Rimowa Limbo with E-Tag.
When I remvoe batteries, E-Tag remain same as with batteries.
So now worries! Batteries are neccessary only for transferring data and "build" the current E-Tag screen.
Old May 23, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Is there any recent experience using an e-Tag bag and connecting from a LH/LX flight to a UA flight in the States? I'm doing this next week and am worried they might not load my bag onto the UA flight.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:42 am
BRC

Programs: UA 1K, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by vantage03
Is there any recent experience using an e-Tag bag and connecting from a LH/LX flight to a UA flight in the States? I'm doing this next week and am worried they might not load my bag onto the UA flight.
Unfortunately, if this is on a single ticket, the LH app will inform you that the e-tag cannot be generated since the connecting carrier doesn't support it, and you'll have to get a regular paper tag. Not that this makes much sense to me—it's not as if the UA baggage handlers wouldn't know what to do when confronted with an e-tag...
Old May 23, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BRC
Unfortunately, if this is on a single ticket, the LH app will inform you that the e-tag cannot be generated since the connecting carrier doesn't support it, and you'll have to get a regular paper tag. Not that this makes much sense to me—it's not as if the UA baggage handlers wouldn't know what to do when confronted with an e-tag...
Sorry, what I meant was, due to lithium battery rules (not withstanding these bags use AAA batteries), will UA accept the bag to be loaded onto one of their aircraft due to being a ‘smart’ bag?
Old May 23, 2018, 3:57 pm
BRC

Programs: UA 1K, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by vantage03

Sorry, what I meant was, due to lithium battery rules (not withstanding these bags use AAA batteries), will UA accept the bag to be loaded onto one of their aircraft due to being a ‘smart’ bag?
Yes As you said the batteries are legal in checked baggage, and even then no one ever actually examines the bags to check for compliance. I'm not sure how or whether the rule is actually enforced, but that's another matter entirely. You won't have any issues with UA.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:24 am

Great thank you. I have had issues with Qantas both at LHR and SYD trying to refuse the bag, so I’m glad to hear there’s better training at UA..!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life, BA Executive Club Gold, Marriott Platinum for Life
I read yesterday that Rimowa will cease production of the Electronic Tag lines once their new bags launch mid-June.

Of the six LX/LH flights I've taken over the last few months only once did they not print out a separate paper tag for my tag, however when I picked up my bag at the destination, the electronic tag had been blacked out with a Sharpie.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:27 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JakeMorgan
I read yesterday that Rimowa will cease production of the Electronic Tag lines once their new bags launch mid-June.

Of the six LX/LH flights I've taken over the last few months only once did they not print out a separate paper tag for my tag, however when I picked up my bag at the destination, the electronic tag had been blacked out with a Sharpie.
LOL. I hope you got compensated for the damage? It really seems the Electronic Tag solved a problem that didn't exist by creating a bunch of new ones...

For a while now I had a feeling that Rimowa will stop the E-Tags soon. Many special offers involving E-Tag Rimowas served as a hint that they didn't sell as well as was expected...

HTB.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver

I'm happy they are getting rid of the E-tag. It basically increased many Rimowa's by 150+ Euros and took space up within the bag. Now are they going to reduce each bag 150 Euros since it no longer has the E-tag?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's great news.
Originally Posted by htb
It really seems the Electronic Tag solved a problem that didn't exist by creating a bunch of new ones...
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
It basically increased many Rimowa's by 150+ Euros
The problem e-tag solved was Rimowa's unsatiated greed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.