Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa Electronic Tag [and Lufthansa Group]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:37 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I think I still didn't get it. Why do I need an electronic tag built into my suitcase and even pay a premium for it? Is it the novelty factor?

HTB.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:55 pm

Does anyone know if Rimowa makes a cabin sized carry on with etag? I can't seem to find any online - perhaps it's because you won't be checking it in most of the time?

etag is a novelty, but I like how you can effectively make it a luggage tag with customized text and photo with the eink.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
HTB: ostensibly so that there's never a risk of a tag detaching and bag being lost through that.

But I don't get it either. Makes an already very expensive bag even more expensive. Immediate readability far worse than normal tags. Priority/HON/shocon tags visibility laughable.
Not changeable in case of rerouting, unless I missed something.

I don't get it at all.

MitzEclipse: AFAIK not yet
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by shipsmail
I can see on my electronic tag "priority". In some airports it is a good advantage to have the bag tagged HON. Isn't that possible with the Rimowa electronic tag yet?
And the baggage handlers won't see even the priority wording, as the luggage has not red or red/blue tag for priority or HON/F.
My electronic tag today for the first time says 'HON', rather than 'Priority'. Still in black.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life, BA Executive Club Gold, Marriott Platinum for Life
Last week I flew CDG-ZRH-MIA on LX and returned MIA-FRA-CDG. On the outbound flight the check in agent looked quizzically at the e-tag and then proceeded to tag it with a paper tag. Upon arrival in MIA the e-tag had been covered up with a giant white sticker. For the return it was exactly the same...

Mine said "HON" as well (I was in first, but I'm not HON).

Clearly the check in agents need more education as to the e-tag.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:59 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JakeMorgan
Clearly the check in agents need more education as to the e-tag.
And probably everyone between check-in and bag delivery as well...

HTB.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: LH
Checking today at NCE, the agent starts printing BP, I tell her no need all is in mobile and luggage has the tag. She says ok, and proceeds typing. I point out the tag again, she says it is the tag from previous flight. Again I point out the tag stating VIE. She looks at it, admits it looks awesome, prints the tag and sticks it to the handle.
In VIE it was smooth.

One thing that worries me is that I was unable to retrieve the receipt in the LH app on both legs. Is there any trick involved?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by shady
admits it looks awesome
Mission accomplished.
shady likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: LH HON, SQ QPPS, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
LCY - Apparently airport does not accept electronic tags, Lufthansa app does not allow smart bag from app upon check-in. Is this a system glitch?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:01 am

BA just smashed our Salsa air 90lts to bits and we were offered these for an additional £200.

I am still doing my own search. It seems the Gorilla glass it's made of holds for breakage and scratches but not too sure about being able to swap it if it breaks.

It says it can refresh up to 800 times and even if the batteries run dry the tag will still show. So no risks of it getting lost.

I personally am a bit dubious if i should splash an extra £200 for this especially since we fly out from Malta most of the time and we are a bit backwards :P
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Any news on additional carriers that plan to support e-tag? With only 4 carriers supporting this product over a year later, I am a bit concerned..
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: LH HON, SQ QPPS, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
Following experience in last three weeks

DXB - Airport accepts electronic tag, check-in agents knew exactly how to handle
BOM - Airport does not accept electronic tag
DEL - Airport does not accept electronic tag

HON gets displayed correctly
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:17 am

The Rimowa websites now shows the new version with and without the e-tag. So it looks like the e-tag will not be a mandatory "feature" anymore.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
It appears that IATA is banning these: https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/safety...lectronics.pdf

AA has announced similarly: http://s21.q4cdn.com/616071541/files...smart-bags.pdf

Out of curiosity, can you remove the tag element? Obviously, such a ban makes things kind of pointless, unless they can negotiate something with IATA based on what I would assume is the really small battery size.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Originally Posted by greg99
It appears that IATA is banning these: https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/safety...lectronics.pdf

Out of curiosity, can you remove the tag element? Obviously, such a ban makes things kind of pointless, unless they can negotiate something with IATA based on what I would assume is the really small battery size.
The E-tag module is powered by two AAA batteries and is user-replaceable, so I am unsure of how it would be susceptible to an integrated lithium ion battery “ban”.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.