Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa, Check-in online or at the desk?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Lufthansa, Check-in online or at the desk?

I have a connecting flight from heathrow to frankfurt and then onto miami in the next coming days (both with lufthansa, 1h 15m time between).
My question, is it better to checkin online or at the airport? Is there any difference between the 2 options ie regarding available seats? . If i do check-in online, would i be able to do so for both flights at the same time? And what about luggage, wouldn't that need a tag from the airline at the airport?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:39 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you checkin online about 22 hours before your flight departs Heathrow, you get access to most of the empty seats, especially for the Miami segment. At the the airport, you can go directly to the baggage drop and the luggage will be tagged directly to the final destination.

ps: welcome to FT!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your help ^
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grimezi
Thanks very much for your help ^
Good idea by the way to use the online checkin as you will have a better choice of seats and will probably save yourself quite a bit of time at the airport. You can also use passbook and not even need to print your boarding passes if you have an iOS device- I really like this as one less piece of paper (not to) lose afterwards.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
You can also use passbook and not even need to print your boarding passes if you have an iOS device- I really like this as one less piece of paper (not to) lose afterwards.
PassWallet is a nice Android clone. Not as good as the iOS app but better than paper BPs or the mail from LH.

Also the Lufthansa App has a nice mobile boardingpass support.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UAL silver, Marriott Gld, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Booked ticked thru UAL and got both UA and LH reservation codes. I'm now within the 23 hr timeline to checkin for my flight and Lufthansa app will not accept my checkin and assign seats.

I've confirmed with LH that my reservation code is correct and I should keep trying or wait to call LUfthansa US in the morning.

Anyone have any better suggestions ?

ps. Flying coach and am currently a "lowly" premier silver member.

Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 4:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Just try with your ticket number?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:38 am

Have just received email notice from LH that the flight is under airport control and they will assign seating--------sounds like hogwash to me.

I'll call LH ticketing office this morning when they open.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: LH Miles&More, TP Miles&Go Silver
I have the feeling that LH's IT hasn't been working properly in the last few days.

I tried to do a check-in online for a LH flight on the 20th and received the same "flight under airport control" information.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by TAP-A343
I have the feeling that LH's IT hasn't been working properly in the last few days.

I tried to do a check-in online for a LH flight on the 20th and received the same "flight under airport control" information.
Was the flight oversold?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Was the flight oversold?
I don't think so. It was DUB-FRA and I ended up doing the check-in at the counter less than one hour before boarding time.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 12:19 pm

Methinks you got a flight being handled under the new CITP/Altea platform.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 12:30 pm

Well, something is definitely wrong with LH.com, right now I can't see my booking details.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:32 pm

UPDATE on MCO - FRA - MUC

Well, my flight from FRA to MUC was cancelled and I was offered a 5.5 hr train ride and that was the reason that I could not check-in for my LH flight prior to departure.

So, I was given tickets to FRA and told to talk to ground personnel there......needless to say I didn't want to go to FRA immigration and pick up my bags there. My final destination was MUC !

My 2C's: If you know the flight is cancelled more than 24hrs ahead of time LH should have re-booked me on the next flight and have a service agent at the arriving gate handing/escourting me to the next flight........that's what real service oriented airlines do.

Note: this was not a weather cancellation !

I will now be taking this up LH based on EU passenger rights reimbursements.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:12 pm

Can one sometimes check-in earlier than at 23 hours? Croatia say 36 hours but just let me check in at 41 hours. Don't they have similar systems?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.