Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longhaul EuroWings will start ops in Winter2015-16

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Red face Longhaul EuroWings will start ops in Winter2015-16

http://atwonline.com/finance-data/ne...ions-fall-2015

Lufthansa said it plans to start operations of a new long-haul low-cost carrier (LCC) for intercontinental and European services in fall 2015, most likely from Munich and Düsseldorf or Cologne.

“The internal project name for the LCC long-haul carrier is Intercont-Wings or Cont-Wings,” a Lufthansa spokesperson told ATW in Frankfurt.
[...]
Spohr previously said the LCC will use seven aircraft, either Airbus A330s or Boeing 767-300s.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:16 am

I really thought Lufthansa was managed under its potential with Franz at the helm - I don't see any improvement after his departure to my greatest regrets.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:25 am

Longhaul Wings will start ops in Winter2015-16

Before he left, Franz said that "the lemon can still be squeezed more".
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:52 am

IMHO this is going to be a bloodbath for LH.
Killing its own Y market and failing miserably on the LCC front.
In my great ignorance i have yet to see a successful LCC run by a major. TED, Song, Bee, Tango.....

Why can't they focus on what they do best and is their core - premium product. OF course the premium "should" be there in the first place....
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:37 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Let's see how the concept will play out - IMO there is a market for a longhaul LCC from Germany. It has to offer something different from the touristic longhaul carriers though. If it is a bad copy of Condor or Airberlin nobody needs it - if they offer intersting destinations at a very good price with a certain minimum on comfort/service, why should it not work out.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I know LH spun off Condor at one point. Is this an attempt to recreate Condor in-house? Why not just re-partner with the existing Condor?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cricketrun
IMHO this is going to be a bloodbath for LH.
Killing its own Y market and failing miserably on the LCC front.
In my great ignorance i have yet to see a successful LCC run by a major. TED, Song, Bee, Tango.....

Why can't they focus on what they do best and is their core - premium product. OF course the premium "should" be there in the first place....
Germanwings seems to be doing fine.

Jetstar (QF) and Scoot (SQ) seem to be doing ok.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by BearX220
I know LH spun off Condor at one point. Is this an attempt to recreate Condor in-house? Why not just re-partner with the existing Condor?
Condor is leisure and charter ops, not low cost, their labor unit costs are on the level of LH.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So no cooperation with TK on this one?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:27 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Germanwings seems to be doing fine.

Jetstar (QF) and Scoot (SQ) seem to be doing ok.
Jetstar is doing fine. QF is really struggling.

Scoot is seemingly doing fine. SQ is beginning to report signs of a softening demand for their particular flavor of service (which comes at a premium $$$).

I would agree that this is a potentially dangerous experiment.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
I wonder if LH will show any more love to us Y-flyers if they spin off all of the really low-price seekers... Somehow I'm doubting it.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:53 pm

I do also hope they shy away from "Cont-Wings" as a name... a little bad service, and that will morph into something unpleasant...
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:58 pm

I wonder if "Cont-Wings" will announce when each flight has reached its "Hohepunkt"...
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by econprof
I do also hope they shy away from "Cont-Wings" as a name... a little bad service, and that will morph into something unpleasant...
The first thing I thought of when I read "Cont-Wings" was tampons. Don't know if that says more about me or the proposed name!

Either way, that name is just so... "Lufthansa".
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by PetzLUX
Before he left, Franz said that "the lemon can still be squeezed more".
...and the passengers, too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.