FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Longhaul EuroWings will start ops in Winter2015-16 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1604439-longhaul-eurowings-will-start-ops-winter2015-16-a.html)

oliver2002 Aug 20, 14 3:06 am

Longhaul EuroWings will start ops in Winter2015-16

http://atwonline.com/finance-data/ne...ions-fall-2015

Lufthansa said it plans to start operations of a new long-haul low-cost carrier (LCC) for intercontinental and European services in fall 2015, most likely from Munich and Düsseldorf or Cologne.

“The internal project name for the LCC long-haul carrier is Intercont-Wings or Cont-Wings,” a Lufthansa spokesperson told ATW in Frankfurt.
[...]
Spohr previously said the LCC will use seven aircraft, either Airbus A330s or Boeing 767-300s.

sw1x Aug 20, 14 5:16 am

I really thought Lufthansa was managed under its potential with Franz at the helm - I don't see any improvement after his departure to my greatest regrets.

PetzLUX Aug 20, 14 5:25 am

Longhaul Wings will start ops in Winter2015-16

Before he left, Franz said that "the lemon can still be squeezed more".

cricketrun Aug 20, 14 7:52 am

IMHO this is going to be a bloodbath for LH.
Killing its own Y market and failing miserably on the LCC front.
In my great ignorance i have yet to see a successful LCC run by a major. TED, Song, Bee, Tango.....

Why can't they focus on what they do best and is their core - premium product. OF course the premium "should" be there in the first place....

ralfkrippner Aug 20, 14 8:37 am

Let's see how the concept will play out - IMO there is a market for a longhaul LCC from Germany. It has to offer something different from the touristic longhaul carriers though. If it is a bad copy of Condor or Airberlin nobody needs it - if they offer intersting destinations at a very good price with a certain minimum on comfort/service, why should it not work out.

BearX220 Aug 20, 14 9:00 am

I know LH spun off Condor at one point. Is this an attempt to recreate Condor in-house? Why not just re-partner with the existing Condor?

1353513636 Aug 20, 14 9:57 am

Originally Posted by cricketrun (Post 23394249)
IMHO this is going to be a bloodbath for LH.
Killing its own Y market and failing miserably on the LCC front.
In my great ignorance i have yet to see a successful LCC run by a major. TED, Song, Bee, Tango.....

Why can't they focus on what they do best and is their core - premium product. OF course the premium "should" be there in the first place....

Germanwings seems to be doing fine.

Jetstar (QF) and Scoot (SQ) seem to be doing ok.

oliver2002 Aug 20, 14 11:33 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 23394612)
I know LH spun off Condor at one point. Is this an attempt to recreate Condor in-house? Why not just re-partner with the existing Condor?

Condor is leisure and charter ops, not low cost, their labor unit costs are on the level of LH.

LH4116 Aug 20, 14 11:53 am

So no cooperation with TK on this one?

dll Aug 20, 14 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 23394940)
Germanwings seems to be doing fine.

Jetstar (QF) and Scoot (SQ) seem to be doing ok.

Jetstar is doing fine. QF is really struggling.

Scoot is seemingly doing fine. SQ is beginning to report signs of a softening demand for their particular flavor of service (which comes at a premium $$$).

I would agree that this is a potentially dangerous experiment.

econprof Aug 20, 14 12:52 pm

I wonder if LH will show any more love to us Y-flyers if they spin off all of the really low-price seekers... Somehow I'm doubting it.

econprof Aug 20, 14 12:53 pm

I do also hope they shy away from "Cont-Wings" as a name... a little bad service, and that will morph into something unpleasant...

econprof Aug 20, 14 1:58 pm

I wonder if "Cont-Wings" will announce when each flight has reached its "Hohepunkt"...

go_around Aug 20, 14 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by econprof (Post 23395985)
I do also hope they shy away from "Cont-Wings" as a name... a little bad service, and that will morph into something unpleasant...

The first thing I thought of when I read "Cont-Wings" was tampons. Don't know if that says more about me or the proposed name!

Either way, that name is just so... "Lufthansa".

shipsmail Aug 20, 14 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by PetzLUX (Post 23393652)
Before he left, Franz said that "the lemon can still be squeezed more".

...and the passengers, too!