Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH Premium Economy : Info from ITB, FT/VFT FAQ, and more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by sbm12
You ready to pay that much more for E+ legroom, a bit of width and an upgraded meal??
Well, evidently Lufthansa and several other carriers think there are people who will. Some companies will pay for an economy fare but not for business, so this isn't a bad way to travel for employees subject to such policies.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Product looks good, good job LH!

I would have preferred a fixed shell since usually seats that recline a lot are prime candidates for pax behind to grab onto, but if the recline isn't too significant (as they claim) it sounds good.

Let's just say I don't look forward to these being added to the award chart.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:16 am

You ready to pay that much more for E+ legroom, a bit of width and an upgraded meal??
Yikes, no, but that's what LH wants us to pay. A random search on IAD-CDG just looking at PE vs. Y on AF (which appears to be very similar product) shows lowest price for Y is $1413 and PE is $1983. I bet some companies will spring for $570.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: VAG
From AusBT:

Yeah, this is the thing. Premium economy generally gives you about 1.5 times the space of economy but they manage to flog it off at 2x the price. If it were 1.5 times the price (plus a few tens of bucks for the slightly better meal) I'd happily pay out of my own pocket, but at twice the price fuhgeddaboutit.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zrs70
Those seats don't look all that comfortable. Looks the same as the retrofitted UA seats, which lack proper absorption.
Yeah, it looks like a slimline seat with a fixed full sided armrest

This is way short of what the likes of TK, CX, BA, etc. offer for PE.

EDIT: now that I see the actual picture (looks much better than the sketch when this was posted in the UA MP forum), I take the above back...looks very competitive.

Last edited by UA-NYC; Mar 5, 2014 at 8:29 am
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by gum
I think this is relatively easy to accomplish: In average you offload 32 seats of the lowest fare class and install a mixture of two Premium Economy fare classes.

Flights to Asia are full, especially in the premium cabins, hence replacing some low yield passengers ex VCE with some high yield O&D Pax from Munich is the way to go.

Fare-wise, on the major routes to Asia, I do see Premium Y around Euro 1500-2000, excluding full flex fares, with some promo fares in the lower four digit range.

As pointed out before, for airlines like Lufthansa, so airlines able to sell flex fares, the revenue contribution in Y Flex should not be underestimated.

The poor souls dishing out 2-3k to get a seat in Y on some routes ended up in Y these days, from now on they will get a seat occupying more space, so it will be interesting to see how much add. revenue they will contribute in the end.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by bcj1949
See LH site for details. Very nice seat like TK. Foot rest, welcome drink, kit, bottle water, meal on china with glass. I doubt UA will step up E+ to that level but would clearly strengthen UA in this hot market.
All of the above would be great for UA. The problem is that they will have to spend money enhancing the product and that's not going to happen. The $2B in cuts has been discussed at nauseum here but it is likely the primary reason none of the services have been enhanced and some services stripped even further. Has anyone heard of the term "death spiral"? That is what UA is in right now. They are way past free fall.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:39 am

From AusBT:

That is very much dependent on the base fare. From Poland, the Y+ offerings from AF/BA start at about the same level as Q fare on LH, which isn't all that high (well, M&M considers it a discount fare with 50% earning now).
I think the hasty introduction (compared to C or F retrofit) signals LH has been loosing lots of high-fare Y pax to the competition offering a better product (Y+) at the same price point as their regular, so-so economy.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Perhaps now lh and ua elites will be offered each other premium economy just due to status.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:00 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jfk747
Perhaps now lh and ua elites will be offered each other premium economy just due to status.
You can dream on but it's not going to happen.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:12 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by nonstarter
Should I be concerned they don't mention anything about recline?
Originally Posted by villox
"Also the optimal recline, about 10 cm more than economy, was developed with our customers. Technically we could go further, but doesn't bring improvements, but disadvantages for the row behind."
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:13 am

Ground breaking innovation from Lufthansa here. About 15 years behind the curve. All Lufthansa executives must have excitedly called each other on their Nokia 3210 phones, while waiting for their dial up internet connection to connect and download a pretty video in 30 minutes.

There is nothing new here. Nada. Nichts.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by jfk747
Dream on, dream on...
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
If UA had premium economy, then GPUs would go from Y to Premium Economy - not a change that many here would like.
But I am guessing for the Senators this is good news, since one e-voucher should be enough to upgrade Y to Y+.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by LH4116
But I am guessing for the Senators this is good news, since one e-voucher should be enough to upgrade Y to Y+.
Are you sure? It could be bad news if you can only upgrade Y > Y+ or Y+ > C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.