Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by FD1971
Demanding top quality without paying top price might be an universal thing, actually paying low prices for top quality not so much.
Especially here on FT.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:05 pm

Demanding top quality without paying top price might be an universal thing, actually paying low prices for top quality not so much.
So is paying low prices for that top quality product a German thing then? That doesn't bode well for LH finances I'd guess?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Lack
So is paying low prices for that top quality product a German thing then? That doesn't bode well for LH finances I'd guess?
You got it. ^

And despite these dire circumstances, they were still able to earn some 10 billion over the last 20 years, paid their taxes, paid their employees decent wages, did not lay off people by the thousnads and did not dip into the Chapter 11 pool etc.

Maybe, this is the greatest achievement in the history of management, probably even mankind.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

The core market is very very demanding, actually (as always in Germany) it is the most demanding core market in the world, simply because Germans tend to demand top quality, unfortunately they are not willing to pay for it....

Demanding, no doubt: but for many travellers that's within an environment defined and limited by corporate travel agreements, and the comforts of cultural familiarity.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:59 am

You got it. ^

And despite these dire circumstances, they were still able to earn some 10 billion over the last 20 years, paid their taxes, paid their employees decent wages, did not lay off people by the thousnads and did not dip into the Chapter 11 pool etc.

Maybe, this is the greatest achievement in the history of management, probably even mankind.
Nope, I don't get it. With the worlds best managed airline logic I'd assume that they provide the lowest quality product at the top price.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
And despite these dire circumstances, [...] did not lay off people by the thousnads [..]

They let them go by the dozens of hundreds?

These measures are expected to result in the loss of 3,500 full-time jobs in administrative departments worldwide over the coming years. Christoph Franz emphasised, "We can only safeguard jobs for the long term and create new openings if we reorganise the administrative functions and accept job losses now."
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
... A good chunk of their routes haven't had F for a very long time, if ever (European routes flown on shorthaul aircraft- I'm not familiar with what LH might have done in the 1960's or 1980's on those routes, so I plead ignorance on some stuff).
Yes, European shorthaul used to have 3 classes, Y and C were the same seats (e.g., 3+3 in each row on a 737) without the blocked one in the middle and F was 2+2. I'm talking 70s, 80s.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:54 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by NYC1
Yes, European shorthaul used to have 3 classes, Y and C were the same seats (e.g., 3+3 in each row on a 737) without the blocked one in the middle and F was 2+2. I'm talking 70s, 80s.
An agree! And not to forget the widebody aircraft A300/A310 with 2-2-2 in First and 2-4-2 in European Business and European Economy.

My first widebody flight ever ^ due to a Summer promotion offer for families with fathergum, motherGum and gum flying with one full fare F and two family tickets. ^ Brothergum not interested in such a short hop intra-Germany.

I was very impressed also by the fact that Lufty at that time had postcards for every type of a/c vastly available in the timetable rackets in front of every cabin zone.

And then back to the comparatively tiny B737....
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:17 pm

I remember those postcards fondly.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Well, the 3Q numbers are out, and it looks like The Crane had a good summer.

LH seems to have filled planes with what appear to be paying passengers. We'll see what the full-year brings, but it is nice to see the indicators moving in the right direction. I haven't looked very deeply at the numbers yet, but it does look like some good financial news, with traffic revenue up 5%.

The balance sheet is not yet anywhere close to its historic impressiveness, but some cuts to capital spending combined with continued good operating results, which is usually good for the cash flow. One quarter doesn't make a trend, but after 2.5 years of flatness and watching the rest of the industry go by, some good news in encouraging. It is good to see LH at least keeping up with the market again (OK, at least not getting much further behind).

The revenue growth outstripped the capacity growth, and that LH seem to have gotten 5% more revenue out of only 2% more passengers over the same period last year is probably a good sign.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:40 am

I am less than impressed by the Q3 figures.

RASK ex-currency -3.3% YTD (-1.9% for Q3), and CASK ex-currency ex-fuel +0.8% YTD (+1.1% for Q3). Or, in simple terms: If you strip out the very favorable currency and fuel price effects, costs continue going up, while revenues continue going down.

Personnel costs are again up +6.7% YTD/Q3 ex pensions. Doesn't seem to be under control.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by kamel123
I am less than impressed by the Q3 figures.

RASK ex-currency -3.3% YTD (-1.9% for Q3), and CASK ex-currency ex-fuel +0.8% YTD (+1.1% for Q3). Or, in simple terms: If you strip out the very favorable currency and fuel price effects, costs continue going up, while revenues continue going down.

Personnel costs are again up +6.7% YTD/Q3 ex pensions. Doesn't seem to be under control.
Excellent points, especially the personnel costs, which are stubborn, and I don't think are going away.

I was feeling generous today and took the report on its face numbers after reading the first page and what I have heard about traffic this summer and gave LH credit for posting some good numbers for a change.

It does seem clear that after years of cost cutting, the costs are not going to be brought under control in any meaningful way that will not affect the top line revenue. The base of operation simply does not allow it.

To me it is interesting is that planes are really full, and the traffic market is not bad right now, yet there seems to be trouble pulling in a premium on the premium product. It makes me sort of wonder: is this is as good as it gets for LH (at least under the current strategy)?

While it is not really all that material in the grand scheme of things, I did note a quick mention that consultancy fees paid were up 37million this year, so at least someone is benefitting more this year from LH operations.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by N1003U
To me it is interesting is that planes are really full, and the traffic market is not bad right now, yet there seems to be trouble pulling in a premium on the premium product. It makes me sort of wonder: is this is as good as it gets for LH (at least under the current strategy)?
Probably that's as good as it gets, if you ask me.

If anything, I was surprised by the tonality of the Q3 presentation. It seems like an attempt to tell a positive story - profit up, point-to-point airlines profitable, new premium cabins installed leading to yields above plan.
A more balanced presentation would have created a better basis to extract concessions from pilots and other in the ongoing/upcoming negotiations.

And, hardly anyone seems to believe them anyway: the stock is down more than 8% so far today...
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:04 am

It seems like an attempt to tell a positive story - profit up, point-to-point airlines profitable, new premium cabins installed leading to yields above plan.
I agree: when you look back over the past few years, there is less talk recently from LH management about being the center of the aviation universe and expanding to conquer the known world from Mesopotamia to northern Britannia.

Getting kicked around a bit works wonders for your modesty.

And, hardly anyone seems to believe them anyway: the stock is down more than 8% so far today...
I think the market reaction if a bit much, myself, but I think you are right: upon more careful analysis, the good news is not all that great.

I am more interested to see how Q4 bookings hold up, as some carriers are apparently starting to warn about soft bookings for Q4.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:10 am

13.02 EUR -1.27 EUR -8.86 %

Guess the stock market has realized that it's fairly easy to present good numbers when your #1 cost factor has dropped by roughly 40% (in Euro, more in most other currencies) YOY

http://www.indexmundi.com/de/rohstof...12&wahrung=eur

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.