Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
I can't understand German too well but today I saw a headline in SudDeutsche Zeitung about LH leasing 100 Air Berlin aircraft from the winter season to curb the growth of LCCs.
So is it a done deal - perhaps our German speaking friends can assist?
It will be 40 planes, but still an interesting move. Air Berlin on behalf of LH/EW announcements on the plane. :-)
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
EY management wanted to shed ABs P2P network and contacted LH, who offered to merge it with EW. The aircraft will fly under the EW brand. AB will only operate feed to TXL and DUS after the deal is completed.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:29 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
It could be a case of too little too late for AB, but at least it's a step in the right direction. Whether AB gets reduced to an insignificant local airline like F7 remains to be seen.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 1:07 pm

Will LH absorb Niki as well?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Niki is long gone and the aircraft returned to their lessors. The AOC of Niki is used by AB to operate from Austria with former AB A32S.

Ironically the E190 that used to operate for Niki are now mostly with Helvetic, helping LX cover the CS100 delay.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Seriously? So the NIKI aircraft are no more to be seen? But the HG code is still in use isn't it? I had read the following trip report about NIKI on the VIE-AUH route and I was hoping to try it!
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
What happened to the staff of Niki? All gone as well?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Seriously? So the NIKI aircraft are no more to be seen? But the HG code is still in use isn't it? I had read the following trip report about NIKI on the VIE-AUH route and I was hoping to try it!
HG7086 is operated by D-ABNJ which is in AB livery.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shame, that means NIKI is really being quietly blotted out of perception. I wanted to give them a try at some point and I wasn't aware that their existence was under threat. In the trip report I mentioned above, in the photos everything inside the aircraft appeared to be NIKI branded.

I forgot to reference the trip report in question. Here it is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...360-shots.html

Last edited by Concerto; Sep 12, 2016 at 6:39 am Reason: missing info
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:06 am

It may say 'Niki' here and there, but its all defacto Air Berlin if you look closer, even in that trip report. I fail to see the attraction of flying an A320 for 4-6h, even with a recliner in C and nice catering.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I know what you mean. It's just nice to try the smaller airlines before they finally disappear, as yet another aspect of the world becomes globalised and monotonised. I have noticed that NIKI loses all its HG flight numbers on short European flights with the start of the winter timetable (e.g. ZRH, LIN, CDG, HAJ). However, PMI and AUH retain the HG codes for the moment.

Sorry this has gone so off topic.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:14 am

AF-KL will most probably end the HV MUC experiment:

This base did not perform in line with Air France-KLM's expectations in its initial weeks and months, but management told analysts on a conference call to discuss 3Q2016 results and the Trust Together programme that performance had improved in the peak the summer months to "breakevenish".The future of Transavia in Munich is to be reviewed, but the clear statement that the brand will focus on French and Dutch markets indicates that this experiment may prove to be short-lived.
http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...m-ahead-311392

The CL 343 'Jump' model seems to be interesting to AF-KL:

A new lower cost long haul airline is planned at CDG: 'Boost'Perhaps the most interesting element of Air France-KLM's announcement about initiatives in its long haul activities, is its plan to establish a new airline. Part of what it calls ongoing measures to improve the competitiveness at the cost level, the new airline project has been given the name 'Boost' (not necessarily to be the airline's trading name).The new long haul airline will be part of Air France and intended to boost its growth from its Paris CDG hub. Air France-KLM describes it as "the Group’s response to the Gulf State airlines which are developing at low production costs on key markets". It hopes to regain market share from the Gulf airlines with Boost.It will focus on "ultra-competitive markets" on routes that have been structurally loss-making for Air France. The group hopes that Boost will allow it "to go on the offensive by opening new routes, re-opening routes closed due to their lack of profitability and maintaining routes under threat".It also aims to use the new airline to return to previously loss-making routes that have been closed. By 2020, it expects 30% of Boost's operations to be on newly created routes, implying that the majority of routes will be transferred from Air France, or routes that had been closed.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
AF-KL will most probably end the HV MUC experiment
Thus leaving U2 as the only LCC offer in MUC with a whopping 7 destinations, 3 of which in LON. Heh.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Thus leaving U2 as the only LCC offer in MUC with a whopping 7 destinations, 3 of which in LON. Heh.
Technically 6. DS operates GVA

Honestly this apparent lack of appetite at MUC of Easyjet has puzzled me. I would have guessed by now they would have connected most of the bases to MUC.
But they have the data and I don't. And the HV experiment may be the proof there isn't as much volume at the right yield (?)
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:39 am

Even RYR withdrew their application for slots in MUC for summer 2017. They said that the slot available would not enable them to turn the flights fast enough and that the time slots potentially left (in between the 4-5 waves LH has each day) are not attractive to them.

DY is still in MUC, but relatively expensive. They fly to a lot of sun&sand destination but ask for the same price (~300€/pax) as Lufty.

The new EW/AB timetable is slowly coming in ahead of the launch on 22DEC and squarely aimed at U2/DY/HV/VY:

MUC-CTA 2/7
MUC-AMS 6/7
MUC-BSL 6/7
MUC-CAG 1/7
MUC-FAO 2/7
MUC-GVA 6/7
MUC-HER 2/7
MUC-IBZ 2/7
MUC-STN 6/7
MUC-NAP 2/7
MUC-NCE 5/7
MUC-OLB 3/7
MUC-PMI 5/7
MUC-CDG 6/7
MUC-FCO 5/7
MUC-GLA 2/7
MUC-EDI 2/7

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.