Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by N1003U
Indeed. One might reasonably conclude there is not so much convenient extra capacity in Germany at present, which would go a long way toward explaining why the invasion of the LCCs has not yet started en masse. @:-)

OTOH, I am sure there is already some money being made at places like STR, DTM, DUS, FDH, CGN, BRE, FKB, etc. by the Big2 LCCs. Note U2 does have a few token flights even to/from MUC.
MOL is not stupid and he cuts routes almost immediately once the subsidies run out, in some cases he did it even earlier.

He still follows the approach he learned from Herb at Love Field and Southwest is still the role model for approaching routes the way they should be approached, as objective as possible and without too many emotions.

Anyway, traffic within Europe is expected to increase by appr. 100% over the next 20 years, so there is more than enough for everyone*

* with the exception of Air Berlin
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by FD1971
* with the exception of Air Berlin
Thank you for the daily belly laugh...
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by N1003U
Thank you for the daily belly laugh...
^^
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
LHT is one area of LH Group that is working very well a the moment, and I hope they continue to push their advantage. I agree statements here that increasing complexity of equipment is probably going to push smaller players out of the MRO market (except for those who can succeed in specialty services) because it is otherwise difficult to provide for the flexibility the customers require.

This is also a segment where LH seems well placed to combine reasonably priced labor with superior technical skills to provide excellent value.

New Lufthansa Technik CEO And His Strategic Vision

Last edited by N1003U; Oct 23, 2015 at 9:20 am
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
But by that logic (airports willing to subsidize, people willing to fly from A to B for cheap) Germany also offers a lot of options with may regional airports begging for business (Kassel, Hof, Kiel etc). Still no big explosion.
Good railway system (ICE), ubiquitous cars, and cheap bus. I don't think many people in Germany consider flying as their first option when traveling domestic.

The crowds at ZOB in Munich are a sight to behold: all those backpacks belong on FR on all neighboring countries.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I've used ZOB loads of times these last 12 months, totally good. Prices on LH on the GVA-MUC route have become ridiculous and I refuse to pay them. I prefer to keep the miles for longer trips and book the train to Zurich from any point in Switzerland followed by the bus for about €29 all in. Recently, I got a trip as low as €14.25. And the bus is quite nice, you can see the Alps on a nice day plus it has free wifi (when it works).
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Concerto
I've used ZOB loads of times these last 12 months
What is ZOB?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
What is ZOB?
The bus station in Munich.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
What is ZOB?
Zentraler Omnibusbahnhof
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
F class is indeed top notch.
*was. Until they removed it from pretty much all their flights AND removed the one First Class cabin which DESERVED a 5* rating! In all honesty this guy is an idiot. Right. We will be a 5 star airline by removing our most innovative cabin and instead providing a sub par buisness, sub par economy, and sub par premium economy. LOL! I hope they get moved down to 3 star! Seriously. This is my ambition. Make LH become a 3 star airline
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird48
Seriously. This is my ambition. Make LH become a 3 star airline
I'm pretty sure my ambitions back in high school had nothing to do with any airline's star ratings. Alas, each to their own
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
*was. Until they removed it from pretty much all their flights AND removed the one First Class cabin which DESERVED a 5* rating! In all honesty this guy is an idiot. Right. We will be a 5 star airline by removing our most innovative cabin and instead providing a sub par buisness, sub par economy, and sub par premium economy. LOL! I hope they get moved down to 3 star! Seriously. This is my ambition. Make LH become a 3 star airline
You must be referring to either (a) the sixteen-seat 2x2 cabin or (b) the adapted seat+bed (AKA nurse+patient) arrangement of the same cabin.

(a) was ditched when LH was wrong-footed as sleeping with strangers became unfashionable in F.

(b) was a temporary arrangement, adapting (a) to a more private environment before new aircraft and/or new cabin layouts were introduced.

The F cabin isn't my natural environment, but I've made a couple of trips on the A380 and found it tip-top. In terms of comfort and facilities I'm afraid it knocks BA into a cocked hat.

There's an awful lot wrong with Lufthansa, but the first product remains, well, first-class.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:31 pm

Well the problem with their "temporary arrangement" is that it was so good it should have been permanent! It was very private, and very comfortable. It could have been an amazing selling point for Lufthansa! How many airlines can proudly be flashing on their ads "get a seat AND a bed when you fly First!) NONE! If I was in charge of this, I would take out the A340 600s first class instead, seeing as does appear to be more expensive to fly, and its first is nothing unique. Back to the point, how do they expect to become "5 star" airline if they simply do not have their one top notch product, for sale on 90% of their routes! If they want to imitate the US airline 3 class strategy, at least do it right! Take a page from Air Canada's book! They do not have First,yet on most of their 777s and even some 767s Business class passengers are offered privacy and comfort that almost rivals BAW First. Yet with Lufthansa, you are given a 2-3-2 layout (any decent airline should use no more then 2-2-2 layout for long haul) and on top of all that hardly any privacy and little space! How does using miles make Lufthansa loose money? These people are cheap, and greedy!
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:38 pm

I honestly don't know where to start...
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:59 pm

How many airlines can proudly be flashing on their ads "get a seat AND a bed when you fly First!) NONE!
2014 called and wanted to let you know Etihad received first of their A380s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.