Calgary
Hyderabad
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa New/Cancelled Routes and Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:09 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith
Lufthansa starting 26OCT14 will begin Boeing 747-8I operations on Frankfurt – Tokyo Haneda, the airline announced today (31JUL14). Reservations in the GDS has been reflected approximately after 0700hrs GMT. With the introduction of Boeing 747-8I service, LH will also begin to offer Premium Economy Class on this route from 10DEC14.

LH716 FRA1800 – 1305+1HND 74H D
LH717 HND1520 – 1900FRA 74H D
At last!! Thanks for the good news. ^
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Looks like the eliminated FRA-DFW First recently.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by FollowTheSun
So that's how rumours work, huh? Any source for what you're saying?
All that's known is that LH are reducing their JFK service in January due to seasonal low demand. http://airlineroute.net/2014/07/09/lh-frajfk-w14/

LH abandoning JFK will not happen.
Rumors? think what you will, but this is the strategy as it stands now. Always subject to change since several months away and anything can change.

Source? yes. As close as to route management as anyone not working for the airline can get to.

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Aug 3, 2014 at 10:14 pm
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by N1003U
What! Say it isn't so! LH abandoning JFK!!??

FRA/JFK is not profitable? Really? Wow. 2 flights per day for so many years, and they have been losing money? (I assume if the route is not profitable it must not have been for quite some time, as pricing has not changed significantly in the past few years at least). Or have loads deteriorated significantly in the recent past (I haven't noticed, but I fly this route less often than I used to)? LH can't make a route 7 hours from their biggest hub to the airport closest to the biggest financial and business center in the Americas (and one of the biggest in the world) work?

The onward connection argument with UA I might buy, but OTOH, there is already IAD, IAH, ORD, and DEN (and even SFO) for *A connections.

EWR is in general not more convenient to reach from NYC than JFK (at least from most places in NYC not on Staten Island). I wonder what would stimulate LH to give up such a good position at JFK or why they can't compete from there.

Is LH getting a better deal from the Port Authority to use EWR than they do from JFK, or are new competitors are killing their loads ex-JFK? I suppose there are probably other carriers who wouldn't taking over the prime spot LH has in T1 at JFK. Or maybe there are simply a lot of LH customers in New Jersey...

I find it a little kit difficult to follow why JFK is suddenly so unattractive as a destination for LH that they want to drop it from their schedule. If LH is really abandoning JFK, does this mean they are going to rename -MH as the "Newark"...?

I must be some information missing here...
The decision to move from JFK was fairly a complex one to make. It appears as though SQ makes it tough to compete from JFK to FRA and on the other hand with Newark being a Super-Hub for United, it makes far better sense to focus there for obvious reasons. IMHO, JFK-FRA was becoming more a 'hood-ornament' route just to say they had service to JFK.

With nearly all UA take off and landings in the NYC metro area happening at EWR, it definitely makes better sense to cut loss leaders like JFK and focus LH efforts to EWR.

Also, next year you'll see Austrian move to daily EWR-VIE service from a current frequency of 5/week which will add more capacity for LH group.

If you've read the fine print in recent LH filings and earnings reports, you'll see a focus on load reduction and some consolidation. JFK/EWR is a perfect microcosm of their initiatives.

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Aug 4, 2014 at 12:10 am
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
it definitely makes better sense to cut loss leaders like JFK and focus LH Group efforts to EWR.
So this would be valid for LX as well?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by seat 1a
So this would be valid for LX as well?
Honestly I don't know. I should have not used 'group' I guess in my last comment. (I edited/removed 'group')
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by N1003U
What! Say it isn't so! LH abandoning JFK!!??

FRA/JFK is not profitable? Really? Wow. 2 flights per day for so many years, and they have been losing money? (I assume if the route is not profitable it must not have been for quite some time, as pricing has not changed significantly in the past few years at least). Or have loads deteriorated significantly in the recent past (I haven't noticed, but I fly this route less often than I used to)? LH can't make a route 7 hours from their biggest hub to the airport closest to the biggest financial and business center in the Americas (and one of the biggest in the world) work?

The onward connection argument with UA I might buy, but OTOH, there is already IAD, IAH, ORD, and DEN (and even SFO) for *A connections.

EWR is in general not more convenient to reach from NYC than JFK (at least from most places in NYC not on Staten Island). I wonder what would stimulate LH to give up such a good position at JFK or why they can't compete from there.

Is LH getting a better deal from the Port Authority to use EWR than they do from JFK, or are new competitors are killing their loads ex-JFK? I suppose there are probably other carriers who wouldn't taking over the prime spot LH has in T1 at JFK. Or maybe there are simply a lot of LH customers in New Jersey...

I find it a little kit difficult to follow why JFK is suddenly so unattractive as a destination for LH that they want to drop it from their schedule. If LH is really abandoning JFK, does this mean they are going to rename -MH as the "Newark"...?

I must be some information missing here...
I disagree. For the main business centers (midtown and downtown), I think EWR is easier to get. The traffic just isn't the same as the traffic you face on the Van Wyck.

Couple that with public transportation that allows you to take NJT to EWR and then AirTrain, and eventually PATH directly from the WTC to EWR.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I disagree. For the main business centers (midtown and downtown), I think EWR is easier to get. The traffic just isn't the same as the traffic you face on the Van Wyck.

Couple that with public transportation that allows you to take NJT to EWR and then AirTrain, and eventually PATH directly from the WTC to EWR.
I guess I just have rotten luck with the tunnels into/out of NJ. I seem to do better getting to JFK (typically late afternoon/early evening). My points of departure are either 39th and Madison (very convenient to the Mid-town Tunnel) or 42nd at the West Side Highway (very convenient to the Lincoln Tunnel). But even from the West Side, my experience is that EWR is not closer.

I find public transit from Penn Station to be about a wash, though LIRR trains to Jamaica station are more frequent than the NJT trains that stop at EWR, and platform-to-check-in-counter time to JFK is a little bit shorter vs. EWR, IME.

When the Van Wyck gets ugly, it gets VERY ugly, but on average I find it less bad than battling my way into NJ (a strange concept, I know, battling to get INTO NJ...).

I I am really honest about it, I am not sure the difference between getting to JFK or EWR from Midtown it all THAT big anyway, when one really considers overall transit time. I tend to prefer a later evening departure, which when I am flying *A to FRA typically means LH405, SQ25, or if it is cheaper, LH403, so in that sense EWR loses out to JFK on the basis of departure times. Maybe that explains my bias.

What worries me the most is that if LH cuts NYC service to 2x daily, they will kill off the late-evening departure (LH405) which is my favorite service ex-NYC. As I am no longer based in NYC, it is now only an issue for me a few times per year anyway.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
It's incredible how hard it is to find the Seinfeld clip of "Nobody beats the Van Wyck!"

I think once the PATH extends and the Pulaski is complete, transport to EWR will be significantly improved.

With UA at EWR, I do believe *A will move more flights from JFK to EWR to sync with UA though
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Not LH but Miles and More partner Condor will be starting nonstop service FRA-Portland, Oregon (PDX) in summer 2015. Lufthansa used to fly this route until 2009.

http://www.airliners.de/condor-kuend...tland-an/33493
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:56 am

FRA-LAX switching from 748i to Airbus A380?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but just noticed when booking a flight in April 2015 the aircraft shows Airbus A380 for Frankfurt - Los Angeles. Expertflyer also shows updated.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: LH HON
As per current Plans, lax and icn get the 380 and EWR/bos the 748
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Had me worried I am flying FRA-LAX around Christmas and not SFO because LAX is the 748i and I wanted to be sure it would have the newest J.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:08 pm

In summer when the 2nd flight operates, it will still be 748i (the afternoon flight) but the morning one that operates year round (LH456) will be an A380. Thats an increase in the LAX capacity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.