Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New mileage earning levels: TK 25% Status Miles [2014-23]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
This is just ridiculous.

People move to TK and EK because they have better products for a better price. Instead of improving or lowering the prices, they want to fool the customer. They can't do anything with EK, but for TK this is just a form of retaliation!

If you fly TK, you should change to M&S.
I wonder if LH should stay in the *A?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB platinum, BAEC bronze
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
This is just ridiculous.

If you fly TK, you should change to M&S.
This is precisely what I was going to do anyway. Having requalified for SEN till 02/2017 (mostly with TK flights) next year I will go for gold on M&S (which is far easier to achieve) after which it will be bye-bye LH and bye-bye M&M.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by ottone
This is precisely what I was going to do anyway. Having requalified for SEN till 02/2017 (mostly with TK flights) next year I will go for gold on M&S (which is far easier to achieve) after which it will be bye-bye LH and bye-bye M&M.
Apparently they are even offering status match to M&M elites.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Its always intern season at LH, all positions saved via SCORE are nowadays filled with young smart kids working for peanuts for 6 months or so. Just to have LH on their CV.
And do any of these newly graduated youngsters have any understanding or experience in the concept of airline loyalty programs? Anyone who has majored in marketing or business administration should know at least a little bit about the value of customer loyalty. Or are LH only hiring accountants to work their marketing department?

Essentially what they're trying to create now is false loyalty, which could best be likened to chasing your customers with a blow torch (or taser gun for that matter) into a corner, with no chance to escape.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by LH4116
And do any of these newly graduated youngsters have any understanding or experience in the concept of airline loyalty programs? Anyone who has majored in marketing or business administration should know at least a little bit about the value of customer loyalty. Or are LH only hiring accountants to work their marketing department?

Essentially what they're trying to create now is false loyalty, which could best be likened to chasing your customers with a blow torch (or taser gun for that matter) into a corner, with no chance to escape.
I guess the question in this case is: what costs less, losing loyal customers vs. cost reductions through the "enhancement" of benefits.

In any case I am worried that this trend will eventually lead to *A falling apart. All the marketing blah blah around seamless travel and benefits across all member airlines is just a myth anyway.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by hugolover
I don't understand, would it really be possible to provide no status miles on a *A carrier? Surely that's part and parcel of any alliance. I don't think any carrier does that?
Exampe: On founding SkyTeam member DL, one now earns zero status miles on founding ST member KE, regardless of fare class, even full-fare. Some alliances seem to have seen better days...I think similar things are coming to *A as members step on each other's toes...

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...orean-air.html
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by cas_de
I guess the question in this case is: what costs less, losing loyal customers vs. cost reductions through the "enhancement" of benefits.

In any case I am worried that this trend will eventually lead to *A falling apart. All the marketing blah blah around seamless travel and benefits across all member airlines is just a myth anyway.
Well said. I feel another question for Huber next week coming on...
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by N1003U
Exampe: On founding SkyTeam member DL, one now earns zero status miles on founding ST member KE, regardless of fare class, even full-fare. Some alliances seem to have seen better days...I think similar things are coming to *A as members step on each other's toes...

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...orean-air.html
I would like to throw something in the ring for discussion:

It seems like one of the core issues is that people don't put their miles into M&M, because of the low earning levels in many fare buckets and the high threshold for *G (relative to other *A carrier's thresholds). Hence lots of people are putting their miles into TK, A3, etc.

In the old days (2002/3) I remember that NW and KL had their FFPs aligned. I tried to move my account address from the US to Germany and I got a reply that my account (and the miles) will be transfered to KL's (then) Flying Dutchman program.

Do you folks think that this could start to address some of the issues around alliances (see above, plus UA's PQD factor, etc.)?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by cas_de
I think the best thing would simply be to introduce an alliance wide requirement that any elite member should earn at least 50% of his/her status miles on the airline that issues the *Gold card. Why complicate matters by jeopardizing the core principles of an alliance…
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
I mean you can compete on price or on quality but it is hard to do it on both. I am willing to pay more for batter service and benefits but what LH is doing is raising prices and lowering quality. This does not make any sense, like really any! I guess the only thing that gives them edge is good access to small places (like Krakow airport from time to time in my case for example) plus the fact that it is a pin to fly through London. Since I mostly fly to WAW or ARN I seriously think about switching to AA/BA. Had I known like May-ish what kind of crap they are gonna serve us I would transfer all my flights to OW. They caught me being close to SEN threshold so I am gonna go for it for two years and fly the cheapest cheapo for the next two years It is just a shame that I will have to lose so many award miles by flying with them. Or I might just choose the cheapest way if AA or BA offers fast track or matching.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by outgoing
I mean you can compete on price or on quality but it is hard to do it on both. I am willing to pay more for batter service and benefits but what LH is doing is raising prices and lowering quality. This does not make any sense, like really any! I guess the only thing that gives them edge is good access to small places (like Krakow airport from time to time in my case for example) plus the fact that it is a pin to fly through London. Since I mostly fly to WAW or ARN I seriously think about switching to AA/BA. Had I known like May-ish what kind of crap they are gonna serve us I would transfer all my flights to OW. They caught me being close to SEN threshold so I am gonna go for it for two years and fly the cheapest cheapo for the next two years It is just a shame that I will have to lose so many award miles by flying with them. Or I might just choose the cheapest way if AA or BA offers fast track or matching.
If you fly a lot to ARN, maybe you should consider SAS EuroBonus. They operate daily into ARN from ORD, and they also offer flights to KRK from CPH. I'd say 3 or 4 trips in Economy across the pond and you'll reach Gold there, or even faster if your OptionTown upgrades clear.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:57 am

I think the best thing would simply be to introduce an alliance wide requirement that any elite member should earn at least 50% of his/her status miles on the airline that issues the *Gold card. Why complicate matters by jeopardizing the core principles of an alliance…
I am noticing in the USA carriers are steadily introducing spend and/or home-airline segment requirements to encourage the kind of behavior you describe.

You are describing the rational reaction of maximizing consumers to a dynamic marketplace, which is a notoriously difficult thing to analyze. Since most of the marketing folks I know passed on the opportunity to develop meaningful quantitative skills, it is not a surprise to me that such complex joint-company promotions have landed in the state they are today in...@:-)
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
If you fly a lot to ARN, maybe you should consider SAS EuroBonus. They operate daily into ARN from ORD, and they also offer flights to KRK from CPH. I'd say 3 or 4 trips in Economy across the pond and you'll reach Gold there, or even faster if your OptionTown upgrades clear.
Yeah, but Eurobonus is so Scandinavian if you know what I mean With all seriousness though I am considering US carriers or BA mainly because of tier bonuses. I mean when you see all those trip reports in first on BA or CX you are just jealous. I mean if I fly 10 times TATL I get like 200K miles yearly which gives me 2 First class trips to Europe with very little to pay in taxes. My quarter Mil with LH gives me on flight if I can afford paying like 1500 USD in taxes SAS as I can see have high values of mile redemption but at least they do not impose the ridiculous taxes, or do they as it says from?

Originally Posted by N1003U
Since most of the marketing folks I know passed on the opportunity to develop meaningful quantitative skills, it is not a surprise to me that such complex joint-company promotions have landed in the state they are today in...@:-)
Most of the folks graduating schools recently passed on this opportunity. I still remember that I had differential equations in school (and I am not that old). Nowadays kids graduating high school do not know what a derivative is
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Cool

Originally Posted by oliver2002
There are a ton of booking classes on SQ that earn no M&M miles, and all cheap fares in kont LH earn nothing on UA MP. Till Sep 1 P on some LH group carriers didn't earn anything on UA MP. I vaguely recall that in Sep 2012 P on domestic UA wouldn't earn anything on M&M. At one p)
The P class on LX and LH earns you 150% on TK. For intra european flights that is really not such a big deal as you earn 1250 for P, C, D, Z, J instead of 800 in lower eco, but if you fly LAX or HKG then it is still a good deal, you pay P and get 50% more miles on TK
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
. Please note the following changes to the award of status miles for flights from 1 January 2014:

from the flight date 01.01.2014 you will receive 25% of the award miles you earn as status miles.
This is quite a confusing statement.
I'll go out on a limb and say this is a positive one and we will get 25% of award miles in addition to the status miles. ( an executive bonus but as award miles)

You can call me lunatic now ( the "you earn as status miles" part defies logic. When? Today? Still as of Jan?, But then it should be you would. I'll go get an aspirine)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.