Wiki Posts
Search

Avis offer: 3h 99€ Porsche rentals for HON/F pax in FRA & MUC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by tuchop
Anyone's got experience with a Non EU driver's license? Mine is issued in Argentina, and don't know if I'll need an international driver's license (translation) for this.
thanks!
I think if your licence is outside EU, EEA then you need a IDL but why don’t you just ask Avis there in Argentina?
tuchop likes this.

Last edited by chris63; Jul 8, 2018 at 3:25 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Visitors are allowed to drive for up to 6 months, IDL is not a must, but makes things easier, especially if the license is not in English.
chris63 and tuchop like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE
I'm looking to take advantage of this as I will have almost an entire day to kill in the FCT next week as my inbound connection arrives the night before, there could be worse things I suppose

I will be there on a weekday and my flight is not until around 17:00.

What would be the best 3 hour time window to rent the Porsche?
I'm thinking either early morning, like 0600-0900, will that give me the best car selection, probably will face traffic heading back... then a champagne breakfast at the FCT

Any consensus on the best route to take?
Something with good sightseeing and some long straight stretch of road, from reading here the best stretch of autobahn to go a little fast nearby is the A5 to Darmstadt.

For pick up, it needs to be the AVIS counter right? Can I still drop the car off at the FCT entrance?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Peteryyz
I'm looking to take advantage of this as I will have almost an entire day to kill in the FCT next week as my inbound connection arrives the night before, there could be worse things I suppose

I'm thinking either early morning, like 0600-0900, will that give me the best car selection, probably will face traffic heading back... then a champagne breakfast at the FCT

Something with good sightseeing and some long straight stretch of road, from reading here the best stretch of autobahn to go a little fast nearby is the A5 to Darmstadt.

For pick up, it needs to be the AVIS counter right? Can I still drop the car off at the FCT entrance?
Best time is after rush hour traffic. Would have breakfast first, forego the champagne, and then pick up the car.

Yes, pickup is from Avis, but you can return it at the FCT.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Peteryyz

Is your inbound in F also ? If it is go to a FCL on arrival & ask the PA’s to arrange for you. If not try the dedicated LH F line, call in & see what they can arrange.
Obviously you need to pick up the car from Avis but dropping off at FCT is fab 👍
if you want that Champagne breakfast , 6 to 9 is the way to go
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:33 am

Used the Porsche Experience here in Munich last week, had a Carrera 4S which was a pleasant surprise. I was out from ~10am to noon, traffic was not great and there is a ton of construction, especially on the A92 autobahn east of the airport which is usually your chance to push the car. Still worth it, but after 2hrs mainly autobahn driving was exhausted and way over 150km :-)
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:14 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
I was told by LH staff that there have been a lot of incidents of bogus damage reports being reported with the charges always strangely exactly the 1500 EUR excess. I was also told that LH would be stopping their association with this program, because of the many complaints. Not sure how accurate the information is. In any case, make sure you do not just hand over the car at the FCT, where I believe only a Sixt rep is available. Get an Avis person to actually review and check in the car in your presence.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbellero
I was told by LH staff that there have been a lot of incidents of bogus damage reports being reported with the charges always strangely exactly the 1500 EUR excess. I was also told that LH would be stopping their association with this program, because of the many complaints. Not sure how accurate the information is. In any case, make sure you do not just hand over the car at the FCT, where I believe only a Sixt rep is available. Get an Avis person to actually review and check in the car in your presence.
Interesting, you can buy extra insurance to cover this on annual insurance policies very cheaply now, mine is U.K. based, takes all the worry out of this kind of event. But sound advice to ask the FCT Staff to get the Avis people over.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:03 pm

i had a minor damage made to the wheels that avis made sure the repair would cost more than 2000 eur, so i had to pay the 1500 eur excess
it was a tiny scratch on one wheel, and a bigger other, both on right side, made on a tight old vila street near Wiesbaden when sharing the road with a truck on the other direction, an unfortunate... that sometimes happens
it was a saturday and i was enroute from gru to jnb in a 11h conection, there wasnt much i could do.

later that week i showed the report to a prosche seller in my town and he agreed that the charge was too heavy

the only sad memories i have from FRA and LH F Service

be really careful, because anything that happens to the car, they will do their way to charge the whole excess
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkormann
i had a minor damage made to the wheels that avis made sure the repair would cost more than 2000 eur, so i had to pay the 1500 eur excess

be really careful, because anything that happens to the car, they will do their way to charge the whole excess
All hire car companies do this, insurance policies that cover these charges are so cheap these days.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I did the Porsche Experience thing three times in FRA and sure enough Avis tried to make me pay for damages that didn't come from me on all three occasions.
I complained and they waived most of it every time, except for one 500 EUR scratch. (If I wouldn't have been insured for this through my Cent card I would have gone ballistic).
The Porsche experience is great, but the guys running the Avis rental station at FRA are crooks, pure and simple. (I've been renting cars at all major companies for ages and never had a single issue, except at Avis FRA). I raised the issue with FCT staff and they were well aware of it. No wonder LH will stop this program, it's so poorly executed on the Avis side it's embarrassing.
It is beyond me why Avis would risk so much reputational damage with such an exclusive customer segment. Because of this Avis lost me as a customer forever.
Edvard likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JohnRain
No wonder LH will stop this program, it's so poorly executed on the Avis side it's embarrassing.
I think I missed that announcement. When are they gonna end it?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by goliath
I think I missed that announcement. When are they gonna end it?
Just like cbellero mentioned in his post (#412), I was told by LH staff at the FCT that LH will end this promotion. Don't know if it's official yet.
goliath likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Avis Porsche rentals in general are very picky with respect to damages. I suspect it is because Avis cannot apply its general insurance to this sub fleet...
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Avis Porsche rentals in general are very picky with respect to damages. I suspect it is because Avis cannot apply its general insurance to this sub fleet...
Well, whatever the reason, it is completely unacceptable to try and blame innocent drivers for damage done by others. I’ve rented luxury cars at Hertz and Sixt and never had a problem.

Last edited by JohnRain; Aug 8, 2018 at 9:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.