Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback thread for the official LH Lurker(s), LufthansaGermanAirlines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:00 am
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
It's my husband's refund.

We emailed customer relations nearly two weeks ago, but all we have received is an automated reply. The feedback ID in the automated reply was 22805492.

At this point we'd be grateful for any help you can provide. We expected to have this squared away a month ago.

Thanks,
Eric Westby
Dear Eric ,
Thank you for the details and the Feedback-ID. I forwarded the case again to Customer Relations and asked my colleagues to get in touch with your spouse as soon as possible. Unfortunately, this is all I can do from my side and I don’t have any influence on the handling time.
Jens
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by akm
Dear Lurker,
I am a bit worried about my baggage allowance on an itinerary involving Germanwings and cannot find the relevant information online. I am travelling (in Economy) Prague-Hamburg-LHR(both segments on Germanwings) connecting onto LAX (on Air NewZealand). This is a United one way award (starting in Prague and ending at LAX). I want to know what my free baggage allowance would be, especially on the Germanwings segments. If you can help me with the information, that will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi akm, as required by U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, baggage service charges for your entire itinerary are determined by the marketing carrier for the first segment of your itinerary. Your originating marketing carrier, Germanwings, is the airline whose flight number is assigned to the first segment of your itinerary. The baggage allowance you are entitled to depends on the fare of your Germanwings flights (Basic, Smart or Best). You will be able to find more information concerning your luggage options as well as 4U contact details here: http://f.lh.com/Dk9j As you mentioned that you are holding a United one way award, I also highly recommend that you get in touch with the colleagues at United/Mileage Plus to verify this matter. Best regards. /Maria
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: LH HON, AMEX Plat, Avis Pres, Sixt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton G, Priority G, Hyatt Plat,Kempinski PC
Originally Posted by LufthansaGermanAirlines
Quote:

Originally Posted by akm

Dear Lurker,
I am a bit worried about my baggage allowance on an itinerary involving Germanwings and cannot find the relevant information online. I am travelling (in Economy) Prague-Hamburg-LHR(both segments on Germanwings) connecting onto LAX (on Air NewZealand). This is a United one way award (starting in Prague and ending at LAX). I want to know what my free baggage allowance would be, especially on the Germanwings segments. If you can help me with the information, that will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi akm, as required by U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, baggage service charges for your entire itinerary are determined by the marketing carrier for the first segment of your itinerary. Your originating marketing carrier, Germanwings, is the airline whose flight number is assigned to the first segment of your itinerary. The baggage allowance you are entitled to depends on the fare of your Germanwings flights (Basic, Smart or Best). You will be able to find more information concerning your luggage options as well as 4U contact details here: http://f.lh.com/Dk9j As you mentioned that you are holding a United one way award, I also highly recommend that you get in touch with the colleagues at United/Mileage Plus to verify this matter. Best regards. /Maria
Dear Maria, so that means that 4U does not implement the iata most significant carrier rule (in contrast to Lufthansa)? Could you please clarify?

Best regards
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by kasi
Dear Maria, so that means that 4U does not implement the iata most significant carrier rule (in contrast to Lufthansa)? Could you please clarify?

Best regards
Hi kasi,
for travel to/ from or via the USA or Canada, special baggage regulations apply.
This is also binding for Lufthansa: ttp://f.lh.com/8DYQ
Regards, Maria
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: LH HON, AMEX Plat, Avis Pres, Sixt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton G, Priority G, Hyatt Plat,Kempinski PC
Quote:

Best regards

Hi kasi,
for travel to/ from or via the USA or Canada, special baggage regulations apply.
This is also binding for Lufthansa: ttp://f.lh.com/8DYQ
Regards, Maria
Dear Maria, this link is exactly what I am referring to as it says: 'any airline which is listed as the first carrier on the ticket is at liberty to transfer the baggage rule stipulation to another airline in the itinerary (the ‘Most Significant Carrier’)'. So, if eg 4U is the first segment, LH the transatlantic segment and UA a third US segment it is allowed within the regulation to apply either the baggage rules of 4U or LH. If I understand you correctly 4U would chose to apply theirs and not those of LH in this specific case. Correct?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:31 pm
akm

Thanks for the clarification. I think I understand. However, I do not particularly appreciate this policy of Germanwings. For the long hauls flights out of Europe involving Germanwings, a Germanwing segment will usually be a small portion of the flight, and in the scenario that you outline, if your flight segment on Germanwings falls in the basic class, you will have to come up with a baggage fee even if the longer flight does not require that. Fortunately, for me at this point, I have an option to pick an option that does not involve Germanwings and therefore I will take my business elsewhere. I should note that I am not raising an issue about the baggage rules in the business models that many budget airlines use. My issue is with this further exploit of Germanwings of not using the MSC convention that kasi mentions in her/his posts. while I very much doubt that it will matter but it would perhaps be useful for Germanwings to be aware of such concerns of its potential customers.

Also, I think that what United says in this matter is largely irrelevant/not binding to what Germanwings will do.

Last edited by akm; Jun 3, 2015 at 1:38 pm
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:18 am

Dear Maria, this link is exactly what I am referring to as it says: 'any airline which is listed as the first carrier on the ticket is at liberty to transfer the baggage rule stipulation to another airline in the itinerary (the ‘Most Significant Carrier’)'. So, if eg 4U is the first segment, LH the transatlantic segment and UA a third US segment it is allowed within the regulation to apply either the baggage rules of 4U or LH. If I understand you correctly 4U would chose to apply theirs and not those of LH in this specific case. Correct?
Dear kasi, as akm referred to his ticket as being a one way award issued through the United Airlines bonus programme, with the first two flights within Europe operated by 4U, the transatlantic segment by NZ, LH is not involved in this particular matter. I am also unable to say which rule would finally apply if Lufthansa was involved (as in the example you cited), because this is something which is decided upon once a ticket is issued.

In regards to akm´s query, I provided general information on the US DoT regulations, but also asked akm to consult with Germanwings and United Airlines for further clarification. The reason why I referred him to UA is that the colleagues there issued the ticket and have access to the respective booking details. Thus, they should be able to tell him which baggage rule applies for his individual ticket. As we do not have access to United airlines award bookings, we can neither give this particular information nor can we provide a definite response. By calling 4U, Akm would also be able to verify if Germanwings chooses to "to transfer the baggage rule stipulation to another airline in the itinerary (the ‘Most Significant Carrier’)." Regards, Maria
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
4U does not care crap about long-haul baggage at all - they can not even transfer the baggage to a *A carrier correctly as their low-cost IT-System is not set up for inter-ailine transfers they are a low-cost point to point operation that is NOT in an alliance but now "suddenly" is having to handle connecting pax without any set-up or IT support to be able to do so.

Bottom line is to avoid 4U if you are connecting and yes 4U does not want your business if your are connecting it is not their business model but something that was forced upon them...they are the same as Ryanair or Easyjet - they do not want luggage or connections...it is low-cost point to point all the way!

BTW 8 out of 10 times 4U will loose your luggage when having a shorter connection as they will have to hand- re-tag the luggage to the new carrier at the connection point as their IT is not supporting an automated luggage transfer....

Last edited by Germanfflyer; Jun 4, 2015 at 3:05 pm
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:54 am

Appeal to Lufthansa management

Today I saw the news, that Lufthansa cancels flights to Nizhniy Novgorod (GOJ) and Samara (KUF) in Russia.

I want to speak about GOJ. Lufthansa started flying to this city in 1997 and was flying without stopping since then. You have very loyal costumers here, who fly exclusively with you, because of your level of safety and European level of service. I am among this costumers.

The economic environment in our country is difficult, because of the stupid actions our government takes in both: foreign and domestic policy.

But the economic is slowly recovering and people are optimistic here, so we all hope, that in one year the economic situation will be good enough to fill your planes on the quite same level as it was before.

I think, if you stop flying to our city and give all your costumers to the Aeroflot (the only one who will remain here) it will be more difficult for you to return to our city and take your market share back.

Thats why we all ask you to maintain your flight to Nizhniy Novgorod, as this is your oldest regional destination in Russia.

Sorry for my English.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Travelling with an urn/ashes in First

Dear Lufthansa team,

As a loyalcustomer on Lufthansa group airlines i sometimes get a headache of the different information given to me by different departments. I would like to verify here if it i got the right information.

I will be travelling this August from AMS-FRA-SIN on LH (Business / First) then onwards to Silkair/MI (Singapore Airlines subsidary - (business) SIN-JOG and back. The Silkair ticket is seperately bought (different PNR). From previous experiences I already know that *G is not valid on Silkair.

1) because of the seperate Lufthansa/Silkair ticket, AMS told me they won't interline and instead my first class luggage allowance is effectively decreseased from (Lufthansa First) 3x32kg to 40kg (Silkair Business) and i need to check in again in SIN

2) for travelling on the way back i was told that travelling with the urn of the ashes of my better half i must possess the following documents and take the following steps:
- identification of whose ashes i am transporting (passport of deceased)
- explanation of my relationship by notary
- documents certifying whose ashes it is by local government officials / institutions)
- a Lufthansa annotation in my PNR that i am travelling with ashes
- a plastic vessel to contain the ashes to be admitted for security/ x-ray
- the plastic vessel must be sealed thight and no obvious religious / funerary markings on it
- the urn must be properly sanitized and travel as checked luggage
- i am not allowed to leave the secure (airside) area in FRA as Germany has different regulations opposed to the Netherlands when travelling with ashes

I hope you can shed some light if these datapoints are true and/or if i should take in account anything else .... thanks in advance for you help!

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 24, 2015 at 12:46 am
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by HadesNL
Dear Lufthansa team,

As a loyalcustomer on Lufthansa group airlines i sometimes get a headache of the different information given to me by different departments. I would like to verify here if it i got the right information.

I will be travelling this August from AMS-FRA-SIN on LH (Business / First) then onwards to Silkair/MI (Singapore Airlines subsidary - (business) SIN-JOG and back. The Silkair ticket is seperately bought (different PNR). From previous experiences I already know that *G is not valid on Silkair.

1) because of the seperate Lufthansa/Silkair ticket, AMS told me they won't interline and instead my first class luggage allowance is effectively decreseased from (Lufthansa First) 3x32kg to 40kg (Silkair Business) and i need to check in again in SIN

2) for travelling on the way back i was told that travelling with the urn of the ashes of my better half i must possess the following documents and take the following steps:
- identification of whose ashes i am transporting (passport of deceased)
- explanation of my relationship by notary
- documents certifying whose ashes it is by local government officials / institutions)
- a Lufthansa annotation in my PNR that i am travelling with ashes
- a plastic vessel to contain the ashes to be admitted for security/ x-ray
- the plastic vessel must be sealed thight and no obvious religious / funerary markings on it
- the urn must be properly sanitized and travel as checked luggage
- i am not allowed to leave the secure (airside) area in FRA as Germany has different regulations opposed to the Netherlands when travelling with ashes

I hope you can shed some light if these datapoints are true and/or if i should take in account anything else .... thanks in advance for you help!
Dear HadesNL,
I'm truly sorry to hear that the reason for travelling is such a sad one. Our deepest condolences.

To answer your questions, yes, my colleagues in AMS are right, due to the different free baggage allowance on both tickets they will not be able to check you through. However, if your luggage is within the LH and Silkair allowance, they should be able to do so.

Unfortunately I can't confirm or deny the detailed requirements for bringing the urn. You as the passenger are responsible for any permits and documents which the local authorities of departure and destination countries may require. Please kindly contact customs for confirmation.
Lufthansa requirements only include that you please make sure the urn is safely packed. When transported in your carry-on luggage we ask to please pack it neutraly. It does not have to be registered to your booking berforehand and does not have to be presented at check in. But please remember it has to pass airport security controls.

All the best, Vanessa
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Thank you very much for your swift reply.

It feels much better knowing to have the luggage allowance confirmed.
As for the documents i understand it is my own responsibility and i will take action to ensure all is certified.

A final question, do i need to inform check-in or the assistent at the FCL/FCT /purser/FA before boarding the aircraft that i am travelling with an urn/ashes. I have heard stories that staff might prefer to know in advance so that they may wish to reseat or move me if fellow seatmate/ passengers / crew find it to morbid/morally objective.

Thanks for again for taking time to respond, really appreciate it.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 24, 2015 at 11:19 am
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by HadesNL
Thank you very much for your swift reply.

It feels much better knowing to have the luggage allowance confirmed.
As for the documents i understand it is my own responsibility and i will take action to ensure all is certified.

A final question, do i need to inform check-in or the assistent at the FCL/FCT /purser/FA before boarding the aircraft that i am travelling with an urn/ashes. I have heard stories that staff might prefer to know in advance so that they may wish to reseat or move me if fellow seatmate/ passengers / crew find it to morbid/morally objective.

Thanks for again for taking time to respond, really appreciate it.
Hello HadesNL,

you're welcome! It feels good to know that we were able to help out.

In regards to your recent question, I think Vanessa has already given an answer. Unless you wish to do so, you aren't required to advise neither my colleagues at the FCT nor on board about the urn being carried in your carry-on luggage. No such requirements excist, even though I agree, it might be preferred to let them know about the transport. I suggest for you to handle the situation according to your own comfort.

Katharina
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:15 am

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed i try to take in account all special factors as it's an uncommon event for most people. Now i can travel with piece of mind - thanks very much !
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:18 am

Hi,

booked a flight FRA-SFO//LAX-FRA in Business, departing in a few Werks. we are a party of 4. my oldest son is 12y old and booked as "MR" into the PNR. however, he would like to have the child/junior menu- no problem I thought. But I've just learned that nobody is able to request a CHML for a person who is booked as a MR. My travel agent was not able to request this meal, the LH hotline was not able, even at the Luftahnsa Service Center at Munich Airport nobody could do it.

It's so ridiculous because I could request any special meal for him (such als VGML etc) but no CHML, how inflexible is Lufthansa? Paid for business class to expect special service and got stuck by the request of a SPML?

Any ideas left how to get this managed?

By the way, same PNR, UA get it managed to confirm a CHML for him, it was confirmed after one phone call....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.