Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancement: No more op-ups from cheaper fare buckets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:39 pm
hch

Yes, these annoying pax actually book Y and upgrade instead of booking cheaper C awards. Time to teach them a lesson!
Old Jul 4, 2011, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by hch
Yes, these annoying pax actually book Y and upgrade instead of booking cheaper C awards. Time to teach them a lesson!
The correct terminology is: "time to enhance their experience!"
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Mr Franz will soon put an end to this obscene behaviour.
This obscene behaviour by LH might also put an end to Mr Franz if this goes on and on and on... Next stop: companion awards.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: LH SEN, AB GOLD, SPG PLAT, HHONORS Diamond
Thumbs down I gave up

After 12 years as SEN I am finally trying the MiddleEast based Airlines. Made one trip on EK and recently entire family fliew on EY as opposed to LH for a summer trip to India.

The more i look at it, the less benefits we get for staying loyal - then price becomes the deciding factor. ( And EK and EY offer Generous baggage allowances and reasonable $50 change fee as opposed to $250).

It was a nice ride while the benefits lasted.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by SMK77
This obscene behaviour by LH might also put an end to Mr Franz if this goes on and on and on... Next stop: companion awards.
OK...
I just talked to the SEN hotline about 2 seats on LX for my grandparents (SEN+FTL)as award ticket in C for December.

Well.... She proposed to make the booking asap, even if it is only for different dates (our preferred dates are not available by now).

Guess why?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Originally Posted by SebFra
OK...
I just talked to the SEN hotline about 2 seats on LX for my grandparents (SEN+FTL)as award ticket in C for December.

Well.... She proposed to make the booking asap, even if it is only for different dates (our preferred dates are not available by now).

Guess why?
We'll no longer be able to use our miles for other people?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by econprof
We'll no longer be able to use our miles for other people?
Or the mileage required for an award is going up?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:09 am

They told me that again they had been told that companion award will not be available on/after November 1.

If this is correct, I can only say:

^^Congratulation Lufthansa!^^

Very nice move!

Honestly, it is really sad what they are doing....
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:16 am

Why don't they get all the changes over at once... it would be less painful than having them trickle out one at a time.

I've really enjoyed being an LH customer. It is a shame they are f**king it up so badly now.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
They told me that again they had been told that companion award will not be available on/after November 1.
That would be one awesome friggin' call with the HON line, I'll book 700k miles in C companion awards in one call.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by dre_techie
That would be one awesome friggin' call with the HON line, I'll book 700k miles in C companion awards in one call.
Question is: How can we prove if this information is also true?

At least for the other information /re booking guarantee D it was true...

HON is very nice, but it is really becoming worse also for SEN now, right?

And there is even no good information but only last-minute notice...
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:35 pm

HON is very nice, but it is really becoming worse also for SEN now, right?

And there is even no good information but only last-minute notice...
the info about the booking guarantee only surfaced here after it was put on the M&M website as far as i know. the companion award post is pure speculation as of now... although it might very well be true...
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond

I'd prefer if there's nothing to prove - no enhancement with regard to comp award.

Regarding the booking guarantee, I thought it was posted on the day of the M&M announcement.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
The companion award rumour has been around for about a week or so.
Some LH call center agents seem to claim that it will be enhanced, other contacts within LH seem to claim it's a vicious rumour.

However, with what we have seen over the last couple of weeks does not give a lot of confidence what will be enhanced next??

It's a real shame that these changes weren't known earlier, as I would have loved to have shoved this in Mr Franz's face when I met him in late May.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Do you know about G class, which is between Q and H?

My father has been told a simillar story by a FM yesterday: They have been told that "many SEN and HON are abusing the system by flying C on business trips and flying Y on private trips with cheaper tickets, but using lounges and upgrades"....

Hello?? The option to use my status on all trips is the main reason for me to fly LH all the time....
Not to think about SEN/HON flying Y on business trips anyway....

It seems that one really has to rethink about loyalty from now on...

There are only one or two more steps until they remove these fares from lounges as well...
But I believe from that moment they will lose a lot of business, because the ground product is important. If this also changes to worse there is no more reason for me to fly LH. Then I will use the next status match and move to KL or BA.

But what should Mr Franz do? Now that he has 2 or 3 more jobs in Switzerland he obviuosly has no more time to think about a logic strategy for LH (see Manager Magazin). It seems to be more important to him to concentrate on earning his further 330.000 CHF with an other company instead of thinking about his customers loyalty.

Its just sad what he does.

On the other hand I see him handing out SEN cards all the time to the one-time-eco-flyers, which leads to 15 minute waiting time at A26 SEN lounge...
I agree on the above.

Originally Posted by Rambuster
rcs has posted some interesting insights on this topic:

In short:
The pictures checkin software has been modified so that booking classes <Q can no longer be op-up'd by checkin staff.
Only J/C/D/Z/Y/B/M/U/H/Q are eligible.

However, should there not be sufficient candidates in these category the flight manager can intervene and op-up as required based on his/her judgement.
I was just op-upped by the system automatically in FRA, but found that the biz cabin was full of characters that were not status members. I was on a higher than Q fare in Y, was handed new BP at CI.

Don't know if the new programming was the cause of this.

If LH intends to change something such as this which would have a profound impact on our travel in Y, then it's time we look elsewhere for preferred carriers.

I am favoring LH over US carriers such as CO and also other carriers such as BA/KL-DL and of course, Jet Airways, which blows away LH's hard product in biz. (Mideast carriers can also come into the picture as well...) The op-up rewards (which UA and CO practice even more frequently) is obviously a reason to choose LH over others, but now with it being eliminated...

So, if they want to throw away my EUR/$$, they can continue on this path.

Note that LH is now charging EUR120 now for change fees on Y tix! (Not sure if they have increased change fees for biz tix. (Z is what I buy, nothing higher))

Edited to Add: Okay, Z-class is also up by EUR40 - at EUR240 per change!

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Aug 1, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.