Enhancement: No more op-ups from cheaper fare buckets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2011, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
rcs has posted some interesting insights on this topic:

In short:
The pictures checkin software has been modified so that booking classes <Q can no longer be op-up'd by checkin staff.
Only J/C/D/Z/Y/B/M/U/H/Q are eligible.

However, should there not be sufficient candidates in these category the flight manager can intervene and op-up as required based on his/her judgement.

LH background and reasoning seems to have been that status pax have been requesting op-ups frequently and have been booking cheaper tickets with the expectation to get upgraded anyway.

LH seems to conclude that it's our own fault !
Hilarious !

Oh, and for everyone fed up with LH this piece of news might come in handy to save a couple of Euros:
Emirates set to slash fares to fill A380s

Last edited by Rambuster; Jul 2, 2011 at 2:25 pm
Old Jul 2, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Originally Posted by Rambuster
LH background and reasoning seems to have been that status pax have been requesting op-ups frequently and have been booking cheaper tickets with the expectation to get upgraded anyway.
But nobody mentioned whether these "requested opups" were given or not. Everybody can request a free upgrade from cheapo Y to F - but it's in LH's hands to give them or not.

Obviously, the two opups I refused last year were not noteworthy for the statistics

I don't care for opups, with one exception: If I see once that an FTL with a Q-class-ticket can move forward, and I (holding a V-ticket) have to stay in the back without working seat-blocking, i will restart once again comparing the fares with Air Berlin (but last time I went through such a phase, AB was always more expensive, so I continued to fly with LH).
Old Jul 3, 2011, 4:01 am

In short:
The pictures checkin software has been modified so that booking classes <Q can no longer be op-up'd by checkin staff.

However, should there not be sufficient candidates in these category the flight manager can intervene and op-up as required based on his/her judgement.

Hilarious !

Oh, and for everyone fed up with LH this piece of news might come in handy to save a couple of Euros:
Do you know about G class, which is between Q and H?

My father has been told a simillar story by a FM yesterday: They have been told that "many SEN and HON are abusing the system by flying C on business trips and flying Y on private trips with cheaper tickets, but using lounges and upgrades"....

Hello?? The option to use my status on all trips is the main reason for me to fly LH all the time....
Not to think about SEN/HON flying Y on business trips anyway....

It seems that one really has to rethink about loyalty from now on...

There are only one or two more steps until they remove these fares from lounges as well...
But I believe from that moment they will lose a lot of business, because the ground product is important. If this also changes to worse there is no more reason for me to fly LH. Then I will use the next status match and move to KL or BA.

But what should Mr Franz do? Now that he has 2 or 3 more jobs in Switzerland he obviuosly has no more time to think about a logic strategy for LH (see Manager Magazin). It seems to be more important to him to concentrate on earning his further 330.000 CHF with an other company instead of thinking about his customers loyalty.

Its just sad what he does.

On the other hand I see him handing out SEN cards all the time to the one-time-eco-flyers, which leads to 15 minute waiting time at A26 SEN lounge...
Old Jul 3, 2011, 6:14 am
AHN

Programs: SK EBG
Originally Posted by SebFra
There are only one or two more steps until they remove these fares from lounges as well...
Wouldn't that require a rewriting of Star Alliance rules?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Originally Posted by rorschi
But nobody mentioned whether these "requested opups" were given or not. Everybody can request a free upgrade from cheapo Y to F - but it's in LH's hands to give them or not.
Whenever I check in, I ask if the plane is full. Usually they will check and tell me... Does this qualify as requesting a "free upgrade"?

Whoever is deciding these things at LH seriously has their head wedged somewhere unpleasant.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:32 am
AHN

Programs: SK EBG
Originally Posted by econprof
Whenever I check in, I ask if the plane is full. Usually they will check and tell me... Does this qualify as requesting a "free upgrade"?
Good point. I also don't see how this change will stop people from asking for "free upgrades".
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:33 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Today on VIE-BEG I got an opup from the new cheapest booking class K (former O) on OS metal.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by szg
Today on VIE-BEG I got an opup from the new cheapest booking class K (former O) on OS metal.
But the new rules don't apply to you !
Old Jul 3, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Originally Posted by szg
Did you ask for?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:46 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rorschi
Did you ask for?
No, I have seen this also before on the Online-Check-In App. The flight was fully booked.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:48 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the new rules don't apply to you !
It was just my experience yesterday.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In short:

Hilarious !

Mindboggling.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:45 am

All the time I fly Lufthansa I have to sign a special explanation letter for me and my staff, as Lufthansa is most of the time more expensive.

I did so in the past, because I valued Lufthansa loyalty scheme very much and the advantages of my status.

However my loyalty seems to be worse to Lufthansa and I decided not to give my support to them for european flights any more, nor will I allow my staff to fly Lufthansa in case it is more expensive any more.

I bought 4 flights for me and my staff for next week; each ticket was about 350 Euros more expensive than KL. So it was worth 1400 Euro more expenses to me to fly Lufthansa.
On the weekend when I read about this grading list stuff I decided for a Lufthansa-No-Go for me.

This is really bad what LH does.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:31 pm

My father has been told a simillar story by a FM yesterday: They have been told that "many SEN and HON are abusing the system by flying C on business trips and flying Y on private trips with cheaper tickets, but using lounges and upgrades"....
So LH calls this "abusing" now? Then it's really time to reconsider my loyalty to them... don't want be abusing anyhting...

As far as I see it, if I would be flying C all the time I wouldn't care about SEN nor LH. I'd just by my tickets based on routing, service quality and price - on whatever carrier that gives me the best combination.
But the reason I fly LH (and partners) more than I maybe should is that I want to keep the keep the SEN status to make travelling acceptabel, whenever I have to travel in Y.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How rude of all these status pax to fly C on business and Y on holiday and to then have the nerve to use the lounges or upgrade with miles!

Mr Franz will soon put an end to this obscene behaviour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.