Search

Enhancement: No more op-ups from cheaper fare buckets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 3:40 pm

After thinking about this stuff again I came to the following conclusion:

There are two options:
1. To buy something >V in order to keep upgrade chances
2. Just not to care about this.

I for my one fly some very very cheap tickets, and also sometimes on very expensive ones (even in Eco, meaning Y,B).

If I would pay for every E, L, T,...ticket the difference to Q in future, it would cost me an amount of X Euros.

In the past, I have received 1 opup for every about 50 segments.

Had I paid for the upgrade for this very flight in cash, this would have costed me about Y Euro.

X equals about 3* Y.

This means that it is cheaper for me to buy 3 tickets in the upgraded class right from the beginning instead of buying Q for every ticket or more.

Conclusion: The adjustment doesnt matter anything for me! I think it is the wrong signal, but I do not care.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by graf0
But it's been made clear some time ago that award tickets are in fact eligible for op-ups based on the status of the holder...
'Some time' ago would however conflict with the purported new update.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:42 am

Programs: LH HON and sh..load of others too
Originally Posted by weero
'Some time' ago would however conflict with the purported new update.
I've got the impression that the new policy had to do with the revenue classes, not the award classes.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SebFra
This means that it is cheaper for me to buy 3 tickets in the upgraded class right from the beginning instead of buying Q for every ticket or more.

Conclusion: The adjustment doesnt matter anything for me! I think it is the wrong signal, but I do not care.
Best post in this whole thread.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA1K;AAEXP;BAG
Nothing wrong with LH upgrading X-Award Flyers. Considering the value of miles used plus YQ and tax should not be that far away from paid "Q" in some cases. :-)
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Starbucks
Nothing wrong with LH upgrading X-Award Flyers. Considering the value of miles used plus YQ and tax should not be that far away from paid "Q" in some cases. :-)
Sure there is nothing wrong .. other than it directly conflicts with the underground new paradigm:
  • V is eligible for upgrades
  • V is no longer good enough for op-ups
  • awards are not good enough for upgrades
  • consequently, awards should also not be eligible for op-ups
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero
Sure there is nothing wrong .. other than it directly conflicts with the underground new paradigm:
  • V is eligible for upgrades
  • V is no longer good enough for op-ups
  • awards are not good enough for upgrades
  • consequently, awards should also not be eligible for op-ups
Weero, this is reminding me of a GMAT question....
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:56 pm

V op up

V > c: Hyd-fra
Old Jul 1, 2011, 3:28 am

So, looking up the fare structure for my usual TATL route we get T as the lowest fare, although only S shows up on LH.com. Interestingly, choosing Economy Basic Plus on the matrix results in a Q fare so at least the booking barrier for op-ops seems to be lifted. But V is harder to get since it probably falls in the Economy Basic basket.

And with the Z fare upgrade getting more expensive I wonder when the op-ups form it will be enhanced :-)
Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:39 pm

Confirmed.

So, the rumors are confirmed now.

I dont want to tell my routing, however talking about 1 cross-border flight within Europe and one domestic flight today, both times other customers were upgraded in front of me.

I was on V fare.

Talking to the 2 flight managers I was explained that they received a detailed information that "special fares" are no longer eligible for op-up.

I was shown the grading list and it was confirmed that neither me nor an other other SEN and HON on this flight were on the list. I talked to the HON sitting next to me about this enhancement and he was on a T fare.

So at least right now it seems SEN and HON are not even listed any more on V and below.

So the question is, which classes are "below"?

Is it only E, K, L or also T, S, W? Or even more?

I am quite dissapointed. At least HON should be on the list as they must really have earned the status. For SEN, it could well have been a status match, but for HON it sounds like a joke....

Combined with the again increased mileage levels, this time for upgrades, it is really crazy.

Will you change your flight behaviour now?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
The list of enhancements is indeed quite disturbing.
It's death by a thousand cuts.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by Rambuster
The list of enhancements is indeed quite disturbing.
It's death by a thousand cuts.
Not much of a consolation but across the pond, mother AC and LH's sister is enhancing whatever they can put their hands on as well, as fast as LH.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vaclav
Not much of a consolation but across the pond, mother AC and LH's sister is enhancing whatever they can put their hands on as well, as fast as LH.
Thanks Vaclav. No, not much consolation

So as per your question- do we know which fare codes count-dont count?

And this is programmed in the system- or will the decision be made arbitrarily by the gate agent on which fare clases are "deep discount".
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: IC Amb, Marriott Silver, KF Silver, MPC Silver
Was Op-Upped PEK-MUC on a A346 (Y-J) and was booked on a L fare bucket. * Silver (SQ) and flew solo without luggage. Shows perhaps this policy being applied inconsistently?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by coffeeblack
Was Op-Upped PEK-MUC on a A346 (Y-J) and was booked on a L fare bucket. * Silver (SQ) and flew solo without luggage. Shows perhaps this policy being applied inconsistently?
LH applying a policy inconsistently? What a ridiculous thing to say. That would never ever happen.

/irony off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.