Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:06 am

Miles after upgrade award

Since this is my first post in this forum I hope I am using the correct thread for my question. I just confirmed an upgrade from economy to business on my long haul flight from Bangalore using miles. How many miles will be credit to my account after this flight:
1. same as original booking class (M), 1 x miles
2. same as all business classes, 2 x miles

I believe it's #1 above but I would like to be #2. So what is the right answer?

Thanks,
Ciprian
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:14 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cipt2001
Since this is my first post in this forum I hope I am using the correct thread for my question. I just confirmed an upgrade from economy to business on my long haul flight from Bangalore using miles. How many miles will be credit to my account after this flight:
1. same as original booking class (M), 1 x miles
2. same as all business classes, 2 x miles

I believe it's #1 above but I would like to be #2. So what is the right answer?

Thanks,
Ciprian
Welcome to FT, cipt2001! If you upgrade with miles you will receive miles for the ticket you paid for. So in this case #1 is correct.

Enjoy travelling in C!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:38 pm

Am I understanding correctly that for carry-on luggage, you can only take one piece total on Lufthansa?

ORD - FRA
FRA - IST

Is it different than most US carriers that you cannot take one backpack + one carry-on size suitcase? Or can I still have both? *confused*
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:09 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hellyea
Am I understanding correctly that for carry-on luggage, you can only take one piece total on Lufthansa?

ORD - FRA
FRA - IST

Is it different than most US carriers that you cannot take one backpack + one carry-on size suitcase? Or can I still have both? *confused*
If you are travelling in Economy, carry-on baggage allowance is one piece not larger than 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm and not weighing more than 8 kg. In addition you can take the following:

* A handbag, wrist bag or small bag (or small laptop bag) and their content
* A coat, shawl or blanket
* A small camera or a pair of binoculars
* An appropriate amount of reading material for the journey
* A infant carrier and baby food for the flight
* Crutches or other orthopedic aids you are depending on

Full information may be found here.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 2:45 pm

Arrive depart MUC

I'm sorry if this is an obvious question, but I can't quite seem to get the answer on LH site.

We're arriving MUC in F in mid January, departing 10 hours later TG F.

On arrival, I'd like to: access F lounge (which one?) to shower and store bags, quick trip into munich for a brief look around, return with some time (how much?) prior to depart.

How should I (or can) I do this? Is there a place accessible for arriving F where I can clean up, and return to retrieve our bags? Is the TG F lounge in MUC even worth returning from town early for?

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CHSDOC
We're arriving MUC in F in mid January, departing 10 hours later TG F.

On arrival, I'd like to: access F lounge (which one?) to shower and store bags, quick trip into munich for a brief look around, return with some time (how much?) prior to depart.

How should I (or can) I do this? Is there a place accessible for arriving F where I can clean up, and return to retrieve our bags? Is the TG F lounge in MUC even worth returning from town early for?
LH First Class Lounges are arrival lounges for LH F passengers. There is only one First Class Lounge with entrances on H (non-Schengen) and G (Schengen) levels. You can certainly shower there on arrival but I'm not sure if there's anywhere in the lounge to store your bags. There's left luggage outside security where you can store your bags for a few euros.
http://www.munich-airport.de/en/cons...aeck/index.jsp

The lounge for TG F passengers is the Lufthansa Senator Lounge. However, your arriving F BP should allow you back into the First Class Lounge when you return from town.

As an arriving F passenger you can also book a complimentary dayroom at the Kempinski (subject to availability), but if you just want to shower the First Class Lounge is more convenient and you'll get free food and drinks as well!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: Maker's Mark Ambassador
Getting M&M miles on AC

I'm confused by the M&M mileage accumulation rules on AC. The M&M web site states "Flights from / to / between non-European destinations" only, so does that mean one doesn't earn M&M miles flying AC on TATL routes?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bluegrinch
I'm confused by the M&M mileage accumulation rules on AC. The M&M web site states "Flights from / to / between non-European destinations" only, so does that mean one doesn't earn M&M miles flying AC on TATL routes?
The way I interpret the statement is "Flights from or to or between non-European destinations". TATL flights are either from or to non-European destinations and should of course earn miles.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 3:03 am

Upgrade from C to F in A380 on miles?

Hi!

In March 2012 I will be on a LH A380 from PEK to FRA. The ticket is in J. My status with LH is FTL and my LH FF# is associated with the booking.

The upgrade award chart clearly indicates that no upgrade from C to F is possible on an A380. Nevertheless, when I called the FTL call-center the other day on another topic I checked if they were able to provide an upgrade from C to F on that flight. The agent indicated that I could be 'waitlisted' in the system and then a computer might grant the upgrade to me - or not.

Given that I'm approx 20k shy of the amount required to request this 'waitlist' option I am wondering if this is a real option of if the information provided by the agent is incorrect?

If the information is correct and this is a real option I would clearly make an effort to move some hotel points into LH M&M and request this waitlisted upgrade option sooner rather than later.
(fully knowing that there is still a chance that this might not work and I would have wasted some hotel points)

Any experience with this? I tried a few searches but failed to locate anything meaningful. Many thanks!

Ham
Old Oct 23, 2011, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hamurabi2008
Hi!

In March 2012 I will be on a LH A380 from PEK to FRA. The ticket is in J. My status with LH is FTL and my LH FF# is associated with the booking.

The upgrade award chart clearly indicates that no upgrade from C to F is possible on an A380. Nevertheless, when I called the FTL call-center the other day on another topic I checked if they were able to provide an upgrade from C to F on that flight. The agent indicated that I could be 'waitlisted' in the system and then a computer might grant the upgrade to me - or not.

Given that I'm approx 20k shy of the amount required to request this 'waitlist' option I am wondering if this is a real option of if the information provided by the agent is incorrect?

If the information is correct and this is a real option I would clearly make an effort to move some hotel points into LH M&M and request this waitlisted upgrade option sooner rather than later.
(fully knowing that there is still a chance that this might not work and I would have wasted some hotel points)

Any experience with this? I tried a few searches but failed to locate anything meaningful. Many thanks!

Ham
There have been reports of miles upgrades from C to F on the A380, so it is certainly possible. See for example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16466282-post346.html but the upgrade may only clear at the last minute.

Transferring hotel points to M&M is never an attractive option. Can you not get extra miles by some other means, such as newspaper or magazine subscriptions or credit cards? I suppose these options may take too long for miles to credit?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
There have been reports of miles upgrades from C to F on the A380, so it is certainly possible. See for example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16466282-post346.html but the upgrade may only clear at the last minute.

Transferring hotel points to M&M is never an attractive option. Can you not get extra miles by some other means, such as newspaper or magazine subscriptions or credit cards? I suppose these options may take too long for miles to credit?
Yes I should be able to accumulate the needed miles via those means. But I thought it would be more successful if I waitlist as soon as possible. Will invest some addl thoughts. Thanks!

Ham
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:19 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Is there a place accessible for arriving F where I can clean up, and return to retrieve our bags?

Thanks!
You can store your luggage in the FCL. There is a locker room at the welcome desk on the Schengen Level.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:36 am

Programs: LH Miles&More FTL, AB TopBonus Gold
Originally Posted by bluegrinch
I have gotten M&M miles flying AC TATL, plus the 25% bonus. Unless this has now changed but I don't think so. AC even shows up in my Top Airlines as well. I think I even got more miles flying AC (100% vs the 50% that I would have gotten in the same booking class on LH) but since they have shifted the booking classes on LH they are all the same now.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:37 pm

Help me choose program---
I am about to be a 1k on united---and next year will have about 100k EQM as well----but most of my flights are sfo-vrn or sfo-muc----usually with UA metal---but at times LH metal---
I have heard i will have a hard time using my SWU on UA next year---and i dont do much domestic flying within the US---really 6-7 SFO-VRN/MUC a year and a few SFO-JAX flights.

If next year I think I will fly enough to attain 100k miles on mile and more---is it easier to get upgrades to business on sfo-vrn and sfo-muc as LH honor then a UA 1k???

One reason i really picked UA metal was i am 6'4'' and united econ+ is more comfortable then LH econ......

SO any opinions would be welcome---UA or LH program next year better for me?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: AC, AA, Marriott Rewards, Tim Hortons
Quick newbie question

I have my points with AC Aeroplan and I'm looking to redeem an AC AE reward for two biz class YYZ to AMS/FRA/BRU or similar. I haven't flown in Europe for MANY years, so do not know the M&M family.

Of the various M&M carriers, I understand that SWISS probably has the best transatlantic J class product, including 100% lie flat seats, so will try for that on the overnight YUL ZRH.

Questions:

If SWISS is not available eastbound, who is a good alternative for departures from YYZ

Aside from needing to spend some time in AMS, I am indifferent as to the departure point from Europe back to YYZ. So which carrier would be a good choice: Austrian, Lufthansa, or ??? If LH, from which hub?

As to a stopover, what is ZRH like in mid-April?

I'm happy to take the train between FRA or any other city and AMS, so the open jaw points could be ZRH, VIE, BRU, Germany, etc.

Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.