Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:27 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rove312
I've seen that, but there are aspects of my plans where I want FTers' perspective. Is there an existing master thread about VIE connections, in particular including overnight layovers, or should I start a thread?
If it includes an overnight layover it isn't strictly speaking a connection but is there anything that's not covered by this thread?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...onnection.html
Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:38 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
What is the deadline for canceling a M&M award on LH? Can it be done day of departure, say 9am for a 1620 flight?

(It is a one-way DFW-FRA-DEL award in O class.)

Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I don't think LH F awards have been taken out of inventory for MP customers. They will cost a lot more than before.

A First Class round trip award between the US and Europe will cost 170K M&M miles plus taxes and fees (approx. $965). A First Class round trip award US-India will cost 290K M&M miles plus approx. $1,050 in taxes and fees.

You can only book 15 days in advance for F cabin. With miles and more you can book further out. Thanks for the breakdown. More $$ for the booking, but getting similar in miles. It seems the "perk" would be booking out in advance.

Follow up? SFO to MUC or SFO to FRA... Are those readily available on Miles and More, for reward in F?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:47 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJLondon
What is the deadline for canceling a M&M award on LH? Can it be done day of departure, say 9am for a 1620 flight?

(It is a one-way DFW-FRA-DEL award in O class.)

Thanks!
There's no deadline. You can even do a no-show though I'm sure they'd appeciate if you let them know so they don't wait for you. You'll be charged a change/cancellation fee of 50/$60 and the miles/taxes etc. refunded.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:05 am

Miles earner on upgraded flights

Hi,

Say I was to use award miles to upgrade from economy(V) to business(Z), would I earn miles according to V or Z?

I have quite a few award miles as a result of my credit card etc. and I'm trying to see if there's a good way to convert these into status miles.

Also, I presume no miles are awarded for award flights? I have enough award miles for a RTW business class ticket, but I guess there would be no chance to recoup some of these miles on the journey.

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Zueriblip
Hi,

Say I was to use award miles to upgrade from economy(V) to business(Z), would I earn miles according to V or Z?
I believe only stupidly expensive B and Y economy fares can be upgraded to business. And in any case you'd earn the fare you paid for.

Also, I presume no miles are awarded for award flights?
Exactly.
Just spend your miles on a RTW in a premium cabin trip and enjoy it!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:13 am

I have been having problems with Lufthansa lounges on my last 3 trips---I am a United 1k (star alliance gold). In past, i could always use the Lufthansa senator lounge while transferring in FRA from SFO waiting to board Air Dolomiti flight to VRN.
Last 3 trips I have been denied access to the Lounges and told Air Dolomiti is not part of program anymore and the fact that I flew in on UA and am SA Gold has no bearing.
The Air Dolomiti web site states the following Air Dolomiti is now owned by Lufthansa. This has allowed the Airline to change from a small business to become part of a worldwide group with the duty of creating value for it. As it is part of the Lufthansa Group, passengers who fly with Air Dolomiti can enjoy the benefits of the Star Alliance partners to which Lufthansa belongs, as Star Alliance is one of the most important airline networks worldwide. Air Dolomiti is also a member of Lufthansa Regional, the alliance created by Lufthansa to increase the quality and efficiency of the regional partners. Internally, the Airline maintains brand independence and its own industrial autonomy."

Any suggestions on getting into the lounge? Are they correct to deny me access?

The ticket is purchases through UA website and flight number has both EN and LH flight numbers.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
I believe only stupidly expensive B and Y economy fares can be upgraded to business. And in any case you'd earn the fare you paid for.
Thanks.

On Swiss, at least, you can upgrade class on anything apart from a saver fare. Probably about a 40% price diff from saver to standard.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mastoidbone
Last 3 trips I have been denied access to the Lounges and told Air Dolomiti is not part of program
The issue is that Air Dolomiti is not a part of *A, irrelevant who owns it..... so that's why you don't get access to the lounges.
Same thing happens with all those regional carriers, same as for Germanwings.

Last edited by RTW1; Feb 25, 2014 at 7:38 am
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Checked in for this evening's IAD-FRA LH419 and I'm still confirmed 1k but when curiosity about cabin capacity urged me to check the seat map, 1a and 1k have disappeared from the seat map. I know they are both occupied if that means anything.

Lot dot com seat map shows same and a dummy booking on LH does as well.

Is this an equipment swap? 419 still reads as a 748i.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by RTW1
The issue is that Air Dolomiti is not a part of *A, irrelevant who owns it..... so that's why you don't get access to the lounges.
Same thing happens with all those regional carriers, same as for Germanwings.
And just to mention the other side of the problem, this is why you often dont get miles for United Express flights, even though they are DBA UA, but operated by some small carrier.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Hadrian35
Checked in for this evening's IAD-FRA LH419 and I'm still confirmed 1k but when curiosity about cabin capacity urged me to check the seat map, 1a and 1k have disappeared from the seat map. I know they are both occupied if that means anything.

Once the flight goes into checkin and the data is administered in the DCS, the seatmap shown in the GDS may not correspond to the current/actual situation anymore.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hadrian35

Don't worry, D-ABYG is on its way to IAD. Sometimes when the flight goes under airport control ~24 hours before departure the seatmap becomes unreliable and some seats disappear from display.

p.s. I was beaten by oliver2002 while I attended to other matters.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zueriblip
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Depends on the FFP where the miles are coming from. If using M&M miles you can upgrade on LH from Economy booking classes G H M U Q S V W to Business for more miles than you need for upgrading from B or Y. Similar rules for LX. However, it is still not the best use of your miles.

Check this page on M&M website (section 4.3.1) for more information.
https://www.miles-and-more.com/onlin...en&cid=1000243

Welcome to FT, Zueriblip!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:15 am

Lufthansa award travel and taxes

Hi, I am a mom who planning a trip to Europe with my 10-y.o. daughter this August. We are going for a family event, so there is not much schedule flexibility. I have looked up the prices on Kayak and they currently go for around $1250 and up, each . I have good credit and could open a travel credit card for bonus miles, but I am not sure which one to aim at:
1, Lufthansa would be great but seems that you would still have to play significant taxes (we need to make a stop in Europe as there are no direct flights)
2, United would also be great, but it is possible to book Lufthansa code-share flights via them easily for the summer? I have heard that Lufthansa holds back seats for its own mileage holders.
3, I could also do British or Air France/Delta, if those programs are more friendly.
Thanks for all the help -- and sorry if any of these are not very smart questions
zvar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.