FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Connecting in Warsaw [WAW] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1170127-connecting-warsaw-waw.html)

TPJ Aug 1, 2015 4:23 am

Originally Posted by AshleyGrebe (Post 25204863)
Hi! I am flying from TLV > WAW > ORD next week, so non-schengen to non-schengen through Chopin. My weird question is: do I have to pass through passport control, or customs, or security during this transfer at WAW? I don't have a time concern, but I am traveling with my pet

You go through Security (turn left before Immigration - it is clearly signposted), but not through Immigration and/or Customs. You might be fine as security folks look for weapons and not small animals, but to be sure I would call LOT.

AshleyGrebe Aug 1, 2015 5:02 am

Originally Posted by panlukasz (Post 25204898)
AshleyGrebe

Better contact LOT or Chopin Airport directly. But I am afraid you may have problem as LOT website states The animal to be carried must have an inoculations record and an up-to-date certificate from a vet confirming compliance with the regulations of the country of departure, the destination country and any transit airports.

http://www.lot.com/bg/en/travelling-with-pets

Yes, I have read that and LOT just parrots that back to you. Unfortunately being compliant with EU standards is impossible for my pet... It's so strange! She is old enough to fly according to their age restrictions, but not old enough to have been alive long enough complete the tests! No other country that I'm traveling through have this weird requirement, just EU, so I'm worried I'll have problems, even though we aren't leaving the airport. I just though that if I don't have to pass customs then I'll be ok... Siiiigh.

AshleyGrebe Aug 1, 2015 6:48 am

Originally Posted by TPJ (Post 25205100)
You go through Security (turn left before Immigration - it is clearly signposted), but not through Immigration and/or Customs. You might be fine as security folks look for weapons and not small animals, but to be sure I would call LOT.

Ok... that's what I was hoping for! Yes, I called LOT who tell me then exactly what's written on their website, and to call Customs. I sat on hold with customs for about 2 hours before I had to hang up and go to work haha. Hoping to figure this out!

frenchft Aug 1, 2015 8:29 am

Did a 20 minutes connection (but luggages came on next flight)

Michelle86 Aug 5, 2015 6:22 am

Hi everyone,

I'm booking flights for my first trip to Europe this fall and the only flight I have left to book is CDG-RZE with a layover in WAW. Both flights would be booked on one ticket with LOT.

I have a few questions:

1) I land in CDG on a separate ticket at 7:15 am. The LOT flight departs at 10:45. I realize that I will have to pick up my luggage and check in to the LOT flight at CDG as these are booked separately. Is this enough time?

2) The layover in WAW is 35 minutes. Is this do-able? I'm concerned that if there's a delay at CDG we could be stuck making alternative arrangements. If everything is running on time, is 35 minutes enough for luggage transfer as well?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Michelle86 Aug 5, 2015 12:56 pm

WAW 35 minute connection

Also forgot....

3) What would we be going through at WAW? I'm not quite sure how the Schengen arrangements work

AlicorporateUK Aug 5, 2015 1:28 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Michelle86.

To answer your queries:

1. Whilst it is always risky to book connections on 2 separate tickets, on this occasion you should however be fine (given normal circumstances i.e. no delays etc., needless to say).

2. Warsaw is perhaps one of the easiest & most user friendly airports when it comes to connections, mainly Schengen-to-Schengen. That aside, even a slight delay on such tight connection would mean that you will be re-booked on to the next available flight, but at least you've got the peace of mind of travelling on one ticket.
Lastly, you will not need to go through passport control in Warsaw as you will clear immigration in Paris.

G

Michelle86 Aug 5, 2015 1:43 pm

Thanks so much AlicorporateUK!

I've been researching airport info for both CDG and WAW for what seems like ages. Finally stumbled on this site and thought I would get input from other travelers.

AlicorporateUK Aug 5, 2015 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Michelle86 (Post 25226132)
Thanks so much AlicorporateUK!

I've been researching airport info for both CDG and WAW for what seems like ages. Finally stumbled on this site and thought I would get input from other travelers.

You're welcome and... enjoy Rzeszów (beautiful city).

G

egon.olsen Aug 6, 2015 1:29 am

With baggage checked to RZE it shouldn't be a problem, however if you want to claim your luggage in WAW and check it again it's very risky.

Michelle86 Aug 6, 2015 8:29 am

Originally Posted by egon.olsen (Post 25228785)
With baggage checked to RZE it shouldn't be a problem, however if you want to claim your luggage in WAW and check it again it's very risky.

Thanks so much! It would definitely be on one ticket, I wouldn't attempt to collect and re-check luggage with this tight of a connection :)

wadewadewade Aug 18, 2015 2:46 am

Hi guys - have just booked GDN-WAW-KRK on one ticket, 30 minute connection in WAW but as it's domestic and we'll just have hand luggage, it should be a breeze...

...even though it's in December and the GDN-WAW leg is on a prop plane, right?!

Cello Aug 18, 2015 5:00 am

Originally Posted by wadewadewade (Post 25287194)
Hi guys - have just booked GDN-WAW-KRK on one ticket, 30 minute connection in WAW but as it's domestic and we'll just have hand luggage, it should be a breeze...

If it's on one ticket you don't have to worry - even if you won't make it there is always another plane in an hour or so (if you're not getting on the last one).

You'll have to check your flight number for information on the aircraft type as domestic routes are served both by Dash 8's turboprops (never gate/bridge position) and Embraer jets (potentially gate/bridge position). Apron position vs gate usually adds about 10mins to the equation.

Anyway, when arriving in WAW you'll end up in the terminal departure hall, where everything is within 5-10min walk.

TPJ Aug 18, 2015 5:52 am

Just to let you know:

I came from IST yesterday and noticed signs for new, invitation-only Schengen Immigration Fast Track for passengers with short connections (I guess only these with non-EU passports). I guess it works similarly to oneWorld Express Connection in the USA - one is met at the aircraft door and is given an invitation allowing to skip the Immigration lines. I guess it might be for LO passengers only as I was on TK and no invitations were given out (or there were no passengers with short connections:D).

AlicorporateUK Aug 18, 2015 6:07 am

Originally Posted by wadewadewade (Post 25287194)

Most services are operated by DH4, however the first flight out of GDN and the 2:55PM service are on E75 [during the winter season]. That aside, even if your first flight is slightly delayed, I wouldn't worry too much to be honest: I was in WAW the other day waiting for my flight and noticed that both GDN & KTW flights had gates open up to about 10 minutes from departure.

G