FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Connecting in Warsaw [WAW] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1170127-connecting-warsaw-waw.html)

vbroucek Mar 24, 2015 6:00 pm

AlicorporateUK, with all due respect, you must be insane to book something like that...

Often1 Mar 24, 2015 6:04 pm

OP does not have a connection. He is on separate tickets. Thus, if he does not show up on time for his second ticket, it will likely be cancelled and he will need to purchase a new one at the then prevailing price.

alfahund Mar 25, 2015 1:25 am

Good luck. You need lots of it for this 25m connection.

MarcoGT Mar 25, 2015 1:51 am

Never "connected" in WAW, (ok, yours is not a connection, is "worse").
But I think you can hardly do it

AlicorporateUK Mar 25, 2015 2:15 am

Thanks - and I'm entirely aware of the risk involved, however this is what I thought when booking:

• My flight from FRA will most certainly arrive at the air-bridge;

• I will not have to go through security and, knowing WAW better than my living room, a transfer-walk between Schengen gates can take maximum a couple of minutes. I mean: even if I get off the plane at 13:20, I will still have good chances to make it (gate agents are normally more relaxed when boarding domestic flights);

• WAW-GDN costed me roughly 30 GBP and, in the worst case scenario, there are good rail connections between the two cities hence I'm not going to lose my will to live in the event that I'll not make it.

Needless to say, I shall report back ;)

G

vbroucek Mar 25, 2015 2:36 am

Flightstats gives LH1348 90% on time, otherwise 12 minutes average delay...

8420PR Mar 25, 2015 4:07 am

Good luck :)

I assume you only have hand-luggage and will check-in online.

Given the stats. posted by vbroucek I would estimate your chances are roughly 70-95%% depending on if the ontime stats are touchdown or arrival at gate,and the % on-time departure of the domestic flight. Seems worth a shot for the GBP30, given the downside is the trainfare and extra time.

AlicorporateUK Mar 25, 2015 4:47 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR (Post 24561690)
I would estimate your chances are roughly 70-95%%

Finally, some optimism :D I'm fairly sure that, even if I do get at the gate by 13:25/30, they'll allow me to board ;) And there's a train departing central Warsaw at 14:39 in case everything goes tits-up ;) P.S.: last Monday (in GDN, though), I was literally the last passenger boarding the first morning flight to CPH at 6:05 (with SK1758 departing 10 minutes later).

G

dj_jay_smith Mar 25, 2015 6:49 am

A couple of years ago I had a 45min connection in WAW when going Schengen -> Schengen. This was one of the smoothest connections I've ever had and it probably took me < 5 mins to go from my arrival to departure gate and I sat at the gate waiting for about 20mins before boarding started.

Houminer Mar 25, 2015 7:19 am

Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith (Post 24562102)
A couple of years ago I had a 45min connection in WAW when going Schengen -> Schengen. This was one of the smoothest connections I've ever had and it probably took me < 5 mins to go from my arrival to departure gate and I sat at the gate waiting for about 20mins before boarding started.

I agree that WAW is one of the easiest airports to connect in. Even Non Schengen to Schengen.

keretey Mar 26, 2015 5:55 am

Schengen - Schengen : yes
Non-Schengen - Schengen - maybe in case of coming by large planes, as a lot of LOT flights from Kiev/Moscow etc. your are driven with bus (as plane will be used then for Schengen route) - 10 minutes extra..., then after passport control either: you are lucky or there is 20-40 persons waiting for USUALLY 1 open security check (out of 2 available) - in this case it's faster to walk outside, go to departures level and get through standard security...

Forrest Bump Mar 26, 2015 6:10 am

WAW, like MUC, being a parallelepiped -single aisle, intuitive - is honey for connections.
You can make it. Your only enemy could be the taxi time in FRA.

AlicorporateUK Mar 26, 2015 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump (Post 24567411)
You can make it.

Thanks - fingers crossed :)

LH1348 landed at 14:01 today - let's hope next Thursday will be a similar story :cool:

G

TPJ Mar 26, 2015 9:30 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK (Post 24568193)
Thanks - fingers crossed :)

LH1348 landed at 14:01 today - let's hope next Thursday will be a similar story :cool:

G

Do not forget to report if u was successful and good luck...

AlicorporateUK Mar 31, 2015 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ (Post 24568366)
Do not forget to report if u was successful and good luck...

Thanks, TPJ :) With the current delays due to winds down in Europe (especially at FRA), my hopes have taken a blow, however I shall definitely give feedback (hopefully, not from the train :D).

G