Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa to install an electronic access system in its lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:28 am

Is this 100 % sure that is going to happen in July?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:33 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
Nice one....

Electronic entrance.
On every flight out of Munich I can see PAX using the electronic boarding entrance having lots of issues...that slows down the boarding process etc.

So why could an electronic entrance system into the lounge bring "more peace and quiet as well as greater comfort". Just because the lounge agents can spend more time asisting with other issues?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:39 am

Programs: LH, KLM, BA
Great so with a nearly 2 year old SEN card that has lost its readability through swiping, we will see a horde of frustrated Elite Pax standing in front of terminals that simply cannot cope. Then LH will realise this and have to cancell the project thereby having wasted millions in setting it up, and we can all look forward to more "enhancements" when they try to recoup the cost. Probably some sparky switched on kid just out of college with another brilliant idea, but no clue nonetheless.

Technology is not always the sure fix. maybe some people like having a human being greet them and welcome them into the lounge.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:11 am

Programs: LH, AF, AB, SQ
I have another enhandement idea: Let everybody in an let them pay to finally exit again. Depending on status and time spent.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:59 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Will be interesting to see how the guest access will be handled as sentom already questioned ?
I can already imagine the HON with his wife and 7 children plus one guest trying to enter via the card reader access
Which HON has 7 kids? As a SEN you either get HON or get kids!!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:02 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by szg
This entrance system for the MUC SEN lounge is the most time out of order.
I used it quite often but then:
They closed the old lounge and changed the access rules, so there is a reason for not working!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:43 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
+1
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
Yep. No kids here. (At least none that I know of! )
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:18 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
nearly the same senseless technology use at Deutsche Bahn

Originally Posted by nswat
Technology is not always the sure fix. maybe some people like having a human being greet them and welcome them into the lounge.
This reminds me of another completely senseless technology usage at the ICE high-speed trains of the Deutsche Bahn in Germany !

Some years ago they had installed electronic displays on the luggage rack or the besides the windows. In the "old" days of paper reservations and the "new" time of electronic display the reservation deadline is always the same.

+ Only advantage is the savings of an estimated 15 minutes walk of the conductor prior to departure to put in those paper reservations by hand.
- As a train is up to 400 m long they carry an estimated more than one kilometer of electric wires and over 400 displays all the way e.g. from Hamburg to Munich. And the attached weight and CO2 emission.

So Lufthansa is not the only one German company on the absurd move to technology use whereever it can be made rgardless if it's senseless or not.

But I see no problem at all with carrying the large weight of the electronic displays all the routings. In consequence you can buy compensation for your CO2 footprint - which makes it even more absurd - for your eco-bad transportation.

link is here: http://www.bahn.de/p/view/service/um...s_reisen.shtml

Would be time for change in management of BOTH companies.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
+1
I am + 4....
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by gum

+ Only advantage is the savings of an estimated 15 minutes walk of the conductor prior to departure to put in those paper reservations by hand.
- As a train is up to 400 m long they carry an estimated more than one kilometer of electric wires and over 400 displays all the way e.g. from Hamburg to Munich. And the attached weight and CO2 emission.
On a ligher note, some conductors can do with a healthy walk

But seriously, this is something that clearly shows how we tend to use technology without seeing whether there is a real value add.. i sometimes feel , many of these companies just use technology to proclaim or show how progressive/hi-tech/developed they are without much thinking into the long term cost - benefit..
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
More time assisting other issues will become more time assisting those wrongly denied by the electronic gate.

NZ has electronic entry system on their domestic lounges but kept the lounge bouncer also. The entrances are wide enough those whom the reader works fine can sweep in quickly while the bouncer deals with others (eg those who have overseas issued boarding passes that aren't recognised by the reader).
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; BA Gold
How is this going to work with Star Gold cards? Since the lounge entry agents don't accept simply XX*G written on the BP and need the physical card, is LH going to have an automated system linked to other carriers??
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by swisstraveler1988
How is this going to work with Star Gold cards? Since the lounge entry agents don't accept simply XX*G written on the BP and need the physical card, is LH going to have an automated system linked to other carriers??
It's not an intelligent system. It's just a technology base excuse for implementing capacity controls in the lounges. The first N+20 (with N the number of seats in the lounge in question) get in, the others get an "invalid card" error or the likes.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:46 am

Programs: LH SEN + many more
So what happens if I need to use the toilet, and the guest I've brought with me will go for shower, let's say in MUC. I also have an urge once in a while to go and buy something in DutyFree shop, while the guest sits in the lounge.

When you walk OUT, most likely, you don't swipe card back (that you've left). And the system has the info, that you're inside. When you come back from DutyFree and swipe the card, the system must block your entry, since you are technically "there" already. And then there is divided area of FTL and SEN-ile boys How will they manage that? A separate electronic systems and gates???

Hmmmm....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.