Lufthansa to install an electronic access system in its lounges

Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold

2010/06/01

In the future, you will be able to enter the exclusive Lufthansa lounges very easily with the help of an electronic access system.

It is an innovation that brings with it many advantages: you can enjoy more peace and quiet as well as greater comfort, as the reception staff will now be able to spend more time looking after you. It will also ensure, that only passengers entitled to use the lounge are permitted to enter.
Automatically better service

In order to enter the lounge, you will simply need to place your boarding pass and, where needed, your status card on a reading device. As the system reads the data, it automatically shows the Lufthansa staff the departure gate and boarding time so that they can let you know of any possible changes to your departing flight.

The electronic access system will be introduced in July 2010, in the Lufthansa Senator and Business Lounges at Frankfurt and Munich. It will then gradually be installed in all other Lufthansa lounges worldwide throughout the remainder of 2010.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Geez... those non LH 'service' agents must have cost a pretty penny

So where will you scan the printout of you AC/BD/TG statement that says you just turned *G and want to take a shower?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by olm022
how is that going to work with guest!?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:49 am

Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON
Isn't this what they have in the Senator lounge in MUC? (the quick access door to the left of the security lanes)..

It didn't work for me last week, i entered the BP, but when i was asked to swite the card it did not recognize the hon card as valid for eatery.

(i wanted to use it as a shortcut to the fcl, yes, i'm that lazy).
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:09 am

Quote: It is an innovation that brings with it many advantages: you can enjoy more peace and quiet as well as greater comfort, as the reception staff will now be able to spend more time looking after you. End quote.

Is this a tacit admission by LH that lounge dragonry had gotten out of hand or merely another enhancement, i.e., cutting human service even more?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Why that piece of technology? Before the last changes, you could enter with just a SEN-Card. So how much is the savings form banning SEN without a BP and how much do these new (surly 100% working) machines cost? How much did the banning cost in total because of some disappointed SEN that now cannot use the lounge once a year when they fly DE!

I had a great saving potential: Change the rules back to what they were and use the old card-readers!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by FriendlyConfines
Is this a tacit admission by LH that lounge dragonry had gotten out of hand or merely another enhancement, i.e., cutting human service even more?
What dragonry? The dragons were pulled back to 'man' the assistance desks and the entry checks were done by contract staff. (In FRA and MUC, except maybe for the FRA A26 and MUC H level lounges)

I guess this is a Climb 2010 measure aimed at cutting ground staff in FRA & MUC wherever possible. Very weird, as the lounge dragons are a very very small piece in the hundreds of ground staff in FRA & MUC.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I guess this is a Climb 2010 measure aimed at cutting ground staff in FRA & MUC wherever possible. Very weird, as the lounge dragons are a very very small piece in the hundreds of ground staff in FRA & MUC.
Slaying the dragons wont have operational impact.
Reducing Gate Agents, Ticket Agents, Check in Agents, Ramp Agents will.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Will be interesting to see how the guest access will be handled as sentom already questioned ?
I can already imagine the HON with his wife and 7 children plus one guest trying to enter via the card reader access
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:39 am

Gate Agents: don't really see where they can go below the present min 2. Longhaul gates have 4, maybe there is some potential.

Checkin: major changes underway in the hubs, Y pax are pretty much left with machines to use.

Ticket agents: they just rebuilt the FRASX ticketing area, albeit with reduced counters. In MUC the desk have minimal staff only increased for irrops.

Ramp: can't see where they can save some more.

I saw the SK experiment with cutting jobs at the gate and lounges, and it was comic at times what they expected of customers.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Will be interesting to see how the guest access will be handled as sentom already questioned ?
I can already imagine the HON with his wife and 7 children plus one guest trying to enter via the card reader access
Can you take your whole family as a HON? (serious question - e.g., could I also take both my parents into the lounge?)
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by attorney28
Can you take your whole family as a HON? (serious question - e.g., could I also take both my parents into the lounge?)
It doesn't work for parents unfortunatley.
HONs can take their spouse and all their children plus one guest.

Once a year I travel with my parents but I am not allowed to take them to the lounge.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
At ARN SAS domestic terminal they have this sort of automatic (unmanned) lounge access for long time now, but I can't remeber how/if it works with guest as I never took a guest there.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:04 am

You mean the ARN T4 domestic lounge? Well, you swipe your EBG card for yourself, then your BP for your spouse/guest. Only works for EBGs though, and because on SK EBG cards are used as FOID in place of a BP.

Similar to the fancy gate at the SEN lounge in MUC. Here we (wife and kid) used to squeeze into the trap door they had there. With two kids we have to detour via the main entrance
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:29 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by danielbk
Isn't this what they have in the Senator lounge in MUC? (the quick access door to the left of the security lanes)..

It didn't work for me last week, i entered the BP, but when i was asked to swite the card it did not recognize the hon card as valid for eatery.

(i wanted to use it as a shortcut to the fcl, yes, i'm that lazy).
This entrance system for the MUC SEN lounge is the most time out of order.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.