Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

WSJ: LH To Launch A380 on FRA-JFK [merged first sheduled A380 destination thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WSJ: LH To Launch A380 on FRA-JFK [merged first sheduled A380 destination thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:04 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Antinori also confirmed that New F will have 8 seats.
Unbelievable config in First class for such a huge whale. How come they reduce the number of seats in first class from 16 seats onboard the 744 to only 8 seats on such huge airplane
Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:06 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by TT-Jones
The thread title is awfully wrong.
Yep and hence I changed it Anyway thanks for sharing…

Best,

totti
M&M moderator
Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:07 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Rambuster
747 fleet will be refitted progressively (whatever that means?) too but not with the A380 F seat.
Maybe to all C and than to market it as a great enhancement
Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Richey66

Mayrhuber said the A380, which carries about 500 passengers when outfitted
with three classes of service,
Very interesting.

LH is known to have talked about 550 - setting a record on A380 and surpassing 538 of Air France.

Unbelievable config in First class for such a huge whale. How come they reduce the number of seats in first class from 16 seats onboard the 744 to only 8 seats on such huge airplane
Easily. No one has yet had 16 R seats on A380. SQ had 12, EK and QF have 14, and AF has managed to reduce it to 9.

LH plans are to have First in front of upper deck, right? Like Emirates?

Ahead of the first upper deck doors, SQ has 18 J seats (4 and a half rows of 4 abreast - J continues behind), EK has 14 R suites (3 and a half rows of 4 abreast), QF has 18 J seats (3 rows at 6 abreast - J continues behind) and AF has 26 J seats (4 and a half rows at 6 abreast - J continues behind).

8 seats of First, 2 rows at 4 abreast, would be plausible, and resemble the LH A340 First. Although on A380, both QF and EK get at least 3 rows of full flat seats there - what features will LH R have?
Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:39 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by LH/LX
The plan was and is to make LH First as exclusive as possible and provide it mainly for paid tickets only. Awards and upgrades are not welcome anymore, although they will probably stay available. But very limited, maybe on short notice only, probably for more miles, maybe for SEN/HON only, ...

And keep in mind, 8 pax can be served by 2 FAs. More require a third FA (at least per todays definiton) and that is extra labour cost for LH.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:45 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
... maybe for SEN/HON only, ...
Antinori strongly hinted that F awards might be limited by status.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:50 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
I assume that the average M&M customer (status aside) usually books C awards. As long as they stay available the way they are now, most customers will not be unhappy.

Now, it will be interesting to see if awards in the same cabin cost differently among different aircraft types.
Let's say LH400/401 stays B747 and LH404/405 becomes A380, most customers (who care) will try to get on the newer aircraft, therefore higher demand.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 4:28 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by LH/LX
My thought as well.

EK = 16
SQ = 12
QF = 14
LH = 8

Bye bye easy F awards I would say.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 4:29 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
I assume that the average M&M customer (status aside) usually books C awards.
I think the average M&M customer books Y.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I think the average M&M customer books Y.
As an award?

Okay, maybe some base members. But lots of FTLs and SENs are okay with business awards and don't go for FC awards.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 4:35 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Bye bye easy F awards I would say.
It will probably be catching C awards in the beginning and based on ones status get waitlisted for F awards. May clear a day for departure (outbound and inbound separate, of course) and require a 50 EUR rebooking fee twice and per pax.

Worked that way for me already this year, since we were flying on very popular and fully overbooked flights. I would be okay with that approach.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
It will probably be catching C awards in the beginning and based on ones status get waitlisted for F awards. May clear a day for departure (outbound and inbound separate, of course) and require a 50 EUR rebooking fee twice and per pax.

Worked that way for me already this year, since we were flying on very popular and fully overbooked flights. I would be okay with that approach.
How does this approach affect C awards? So the customers gets upgraded into F, will the open C spot open as award on short notice as well?
Old Nov 7, 2009, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
And limited to LH only status - not *G !
Old Nov 7, 2009, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by totti
Maybe to all C and than to market it as a great enhancement
Which it would be. By my guesstimate, it means reducing seat count from 330 to about 190.

And keep in mind, 8 pax can be served by 2 FAs. More require a third FA (at least per todays definiton) and that is extra labour cost for LH.
Meaning 16 pax require a fourth FA?

Now, it will be interesting to see if awards in the same cabin cost differently among different aircraft types.
Let's say LH400/401 stays B747 and LH404/405 becomes A380, most customers (who care) will try to get on the newer aircraft, therefore higher demand.
But there already is issue with different number and quality of F on different frames.

B747 - 16 available F

A330/A340 - just 8 F available.

B747 - 4 seats abreast cramped into a 747 upper deck, less spacious than 737. Single aisle, no window seat aisle access. Restricted headroom.

A330/A340 - also 4 abreast. But on a widebody - two aisles, all seats aisle access, plentiful headroom.

Do LH passengers try to get First awards on A330/A340 rather than 747?

EK = 16
SQ = 12
QF = 14
LH = 8
Corrected already. Again:

EK = 14
SQ = 12
QF = 14
AF = 9
LH = 8
Old Nov 7, 2009, 5:23 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Wow, Flyertalkers met the Wolf
Yep, hearing the Wolf articulating the word "enhancements" was priceless! ^
Joking aside, I think he was very impressive. The highlight of the day.
He also said 744 would have PTV in Economy if he could persuade others in the company.
Nah, this is typical marketing lingo within all corporations. "We are the good guys, we want to offer you stuff but, you know, those bean counters..."
Actually he sounded pretty determined about it. He (claimed that he) is just trying to find the proper way to implement this. Very correct in its philosophy and fair, IMHO. However, depending on the specific way it will be implemented it may create frictions.

Bottomline is that LH acknowledges the necessity to restore incentives (for flying) through conditioning redemption priority on status and (maybe) bringing back e-vouchers as a function of flying.
I assume that the average M&M customer (status aside) usually books C awards.
I highly doubt this, although it depends on your definition of "typical". Is it average? Median? Wrt time? Number of miles? number of flown miles? By-and-large, IMHO most awards are in Y. That's exactly what makes FFPs profitable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.