Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

WSJ: LH To Launch A380 on FRA-JFK [merged first sheduled A380 destination thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WSJ: LH To Launch A380 on FRA-JFK [merged first sheduled A380 destination thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by MLang2
Even if I partially understand your point of view, what about yourself using awards on other *A-carrier? Imagine UA giving away F-Awards only to 1Ks. Think of AC or NZ limiting their Executive First or Business to Super Elite respectively Gold Elite? Would you only go where LH flies or sit in Y? Because nobody says that only carriers with 3-class-products would be "allowed" to cut their available award seats down.
Well, SQ already limits their product (C&F!) quite successfully (for them). Also NH does not release that many F seats either.
And only a certifiable lunatic would redeem M&M miles for UA F !
Old Nov 7, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by Rambuster
The "youngest one" that I know of is D-AIMD (number 4). D-AIMA as you guys know is already in the air but currently in HAM for painting and interior. Shouldn't take that much longer until LH could actually have it but I think they are okay with a later delivery.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
The "youngest one" that I know of is D-AIMD (number 4). D-AIMA as you guys know is already in the air but currently in HAM for painting and interior. Shouldn't take that much longer until LH could actually have it but I think they are okay with a later delivery.
The one in the picture is "MC".
Old Nov 7, 2009, 4:02 pm

The one in the picture is "MC".
Okay cool. I was wondering which one it was. The MD tail is in production or on the way to production as well.

Did you see all the assembly, so would you know if MD is in final assembly or not? Did they say how long it takes to get one bird through final assembly in TLS? To make assumptions how long MC will take...
Old Nov 7, 2009, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We saw 6 A380s in production IIRC (but perhaps it was only 5 ... I was quite tired...): 2-3 (?) x LH, 1 AF, 2 x EK
Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:03 pm

Is LH putting a new first class in these 380s. The F now is comparable to the nicer J products available.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA G
How's the A380 in Y? It seems like this would be a prime candidate for SFO-JFK on UA in p.s. EUA'd C connecting to JFK-FRA on LH.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:50 pm

Well, SQ already limits their product (C&F!) quite successfully (for them). Also NH does not release that many F seats either.
And only a certifiable lunatic would redeem M&M miles for UA F !
Just extend my 3 examples to the whole *A-network and pick the carrier you like. I'm just saying that also YOUR travel possibilities in C or F could be significantly reduced if all carriers would do these cuts in available award seats.
And that must not be the intention of *A.

I hope they take the right steps at Lufthansa to secure on the one hand prferred award availability to the HONs but on the other hand keep it available to everybody still. Everything else would - in my eyes - damage the worth of the network siginificantly.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by unavaca
How's the A380 in Y? It seems like this would be a prime candidate for SFO-JFK on UA in p.s. EUA'd C connecting to JFK-FRA on LH.
Even if we did see the possibilities how the A380 COULD be equipped at AIRBUS, I guess nobody knows what Lufthansa really is doing in the end.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 1:24 am

At the Q&A with LH CEO Wolf, did anybody ask him when the last was that he spent a flight in Y on a B747, maybe even on a night flight?
Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:05 am

At the Q&A with LH CEO Wolf, did anybody ask him when the last was that he spent a flight in Y on a B747, maybe even on a night flight?
IIRC, noone did ask this question!
Guess the last time he flew Y is too long ago....
Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:33 am

IIRC, noone did ask this question!
Guess the last time he flew Y is too long ago....
believe it or not, he is flying Y quiet regularly...

he was definitely on more longhaul Y flights than me in the last three years...
Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:51 am

I hope they take the right steps at Lufthansa to secure on the one hand prferred award availability to the HONs but on the other hand keep it available to everybody still. Everything else would - in my eyes - damage the worth of the network siginificantly.
HONs already have preferred award availability, though not in F. limiting F awards to their own elites, but releasing seats to others a few days before departure is absolutely ok i think, and is something that many *A carriers already do. try to get an SQ F seat way in advance, almost no chance. not to mention its almost impossible to get a second one...

on top of all that, C awards are widely available all over the *A, even at peak times i never experienced major problems as long as i was a little bit flexible with time and/or date. so its not that you are stuck in Y just because you might not get F...
Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:54 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
How does this approach affect C awards? So the customers gets upgraded into F, will the open C spot open as award on short notice as well?
In my cases this year C and Y cabins were terribly overbooked, so definitely no extra C awards on short notice. But this depends...
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:01 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Just extend my 3 examples to the whole *A-network and pick the carrier you like. I'm just saying that also YOUR travel possibilities in C or F could be significantly reduced if all carriers would do these cuts in available award seats.
And that must not be the intention of *A.
Who cares about all this *A BS?

Airlines should be for their own customers first. I am absolutely okay, that only SQ elites get SQ F awards, UA elites are preferred on UA and LH/LX is for LH/LX HON and SEN, period. At least for the premium awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.