Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Originally Posted by OskiBear
In the new GE set-up, the CBP agents have been calling out my name. I guess it pops up on their monitor. So, it had been a relatively good flow in the past...you get the machine to clear you and then as you walk to the exit/agent, the agent calls out "OskiBear" and you sort of mutually acknowledge each other and proceed. I did notice on Sunday that the officer wasn't actively calling out names so I slowed as I approached him and made eye contact at which point he then called my name and I moved on. I always figured that was a necessary step.
The handheld/screen has the name, picture and a color coding (green/red) of the last several people who went through. Each time they've called my name as I've passed. When I went through at MIA a couple months ago they also asked if I had anything to declare.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Does anyone have recent experience of immigration at TBIT using the Mobile Passport App (I am a UK citizen, no GE). Are there separate lines at immigration for the app, are they clearly signed and do they make a difference?

Thanks!
marconess likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
Does anyone have recent experience of immigration at TBIT using the Mobile Passport App (I am a UK citizen, no GE). Are there separate lines at immigration for the app, are they clearly signed and do they make a difference?

Thanks!
When are you travellng? Im away to LAX in a couple weeks I will try and report back.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by marconess
When are you travellng? Im away to LAX in a couple weeks I will try and report back.
Tomorrow
marconess likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:32 am

Tomorrow
Ha, are you trying it? Please report back
oaplovestravel likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by marconess
Ha, are you trying it? Please report back
For anyone eligible, definitely download the MPC app and have it ready just in case. I landed into LAX on Thursday, seemingly 30m behind 2 massive asian flights. Going downstairs into the immigration hall, the non-US was horrendous - the worst I have ever seen - easily a 2 hour wait.
There were a couple of MPC signs upstairs, but nothing obvious once you went down the stairs into the main hall at TBIT. I kept walking past the main immigration line towards the US/GE queues and asked someone about MPC - and was directed to a separate desk which was marked for MPC, diplomats etc, and which was also clearly being used for people with express connection tickets. Desk was no. 44 or close to that - was next to the crew entry desks.
I was through in 10m max, so easily saved 2 hours.
Interestingly BA announced MPC as part of the arrival speech, but said it was only available to US/Canadian citizens . Hopefully it remains a secret .
SPN Lifer, marconess and Lefly like this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 3:38 am

For anyone eligible, definitely download the MPC app and have it ready just in case. I landed into LAX on Thursday, seemingly 30m behind 2 massive asian flights. Going downstairs into the immigration hall, the non-US was horrendous - the worst I have ever seen - easily a 2 hour wait.
There were a couple of MPC signs upstairs, but nothing obvious once you went down the stairs into the main hall at TBIT. I kept walking past the main immigration line towards the US/GE queues and asked someone about MPC - and was directed to a separate desk which was marked for MPC, diplomats etc, and which was also clearly being used for people with express connection tickets. Desk was no. 44 or close to that - was next to the crew entry desks.
I was through in 10m max, so easily saved 2 hours.
Interestingly BA announced MPC as part of the arrival speech, but said it was only available to US/Canadian citizens . Hopefully it remains a secret .
This is fantastic news. Will def download and try and use and report back for my trip next week.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 7:50 pm

Arrived at around 3.30pm. used MCP and had nobody in front of me. Literally nobody. And this was with me at the back of a A350.
Old Jul 8, 2024, 6:44 am

Are there any new experiences with MPC at LAX. Someone told us, they asked someone a few days ago and were sent to the regular line with everybody else.
Old Jul 15, 2024, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Shinji4u
Are there any new experiences with MPC at LAX. Someone told us, they asked someone a few days ago and were sent to the regular line with everybody else.
Still operating exactly as I described above - arrived 1pm last Thursday, and there is a separate roped off section in the middle of the hall at TBIT - desks 42-44, all clearly marked for 'Express connection, diplomats and MPC. Show the staff there your MPC app open and they will let you in. We were through in 10 minutes, compared to a good 2 hours for the main line I reckon.
Old Jul 15, 2024, 4:29 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Still operating exactly as I described above - arrived 1pm last Thursday, and there is a separate roped off section in the middle of the hall at TBIT - desks 42-44, all clearly marked for 'Express connection, diplomats and MPC. Show the staff there your MPC app open and they will let you in. We were through in 10 minutes, compared to a good 2 hours for the main line I reckon.
Does this work for global entry as well?
Old Jul 15, 2024, 7:42 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by estnet
Does this work for global entry as well?
Global Entry has a dedicated lane at TBIT. I have never had to wait in line to use a GE kiosk there.
Old Jul 15, 2024, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I came thru TBIT immigration 2 weeks ago with Global Entry. There was no line and took about 5 seconds for the kiosk to take my photo and I was thru. From getting off my JL flight to curb side was about 7 minutes, including a stop at the restroom at the far end of TBIT immigration because I knew that one is always empty. Took a lot longer to get out of the horseshoe traffic... can't wait for the APM to start running.

Global Entry is a good example of when the US Govt works, it really works.
estnet and chrisl137 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2024, 3:26 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by bzcat
I came thru TBIT immigration 2 weeks ago with Global Entry. There was no line and took about 5 seconds for the kiosk to take my photo and I was thru.

Very similar timing experience with entering the country in both mid-May and mid-June, but via the LAX Terminal 6 ICE facility.
bzcat likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2024, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by bzcat
I came thru TBIT immigration 2 weeks ago with Global Entry. There was no line and took about 5 seconds for the kiosk to take my photo and I was thru. From getting off my JL flight to curb side was about 7 minutes, including a stop at the restroom at the far end of TBIT immigration because I knew that one is always empty. Took a lot longer to get out of the horseshoe traffic... can't wait for the APM to start running.

Good to know - it works well at sfo but I haven't been through lax for a long time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.