Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by max501
Great info, thanks! Any idea how often that shuttle runs and what worse case would be for maximum time from T4 to T3?
The last time I went, it took me about 25 minutes, maybe slightly less. I had to make one stop. I seem to arrive just as a shuttle is leaving, so I have to wait for the next--that wait is 10 minutes. So I suppose, if you're lucky, you could do the trip in 15 minutes.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec, SPG Plat, MR Silver. And a wee bit of everyone else.
I'm going to piggyback max501's thread to ask a question of my own -

I am connecting in LAX this coming April, and I've never had a domestic connection there. I'm coming in from BOS and departing out to LIH (Lihue/Kauai Island, Hawaii). I am having second thoughts about choosing the later flight out fo BOS and only having 55 minutes to connect. This particularly bothers me because the flight I am on out of LAX is the last of the day to LIH.

What are the inter-terminal shuttles like within the three UA terminals? Will I have to go out of security and back in again if I'm changing terminals?

Does this create un-necessary risk for my bags?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:46 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
I'm usually O/D at LAX, but all three UA terminals are connected airside at gate level. Even when I go SNA-LAX-IAD, which is often the tail end of T8 to the tail end of T7, it's no more than 10-12 minutes gate to gate. If there's a shuttle bus, I've never seen it.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Zudnic
I am having second thoughts about choosing the later flight out fo BOS and only having 55 minutes to connect. This particularly bothers me because the flight I am on out of LAX is the last of the day to LIH.
Yes, as choster said, all of the UA terminals are connected airside, so you won't have to clear security at LAX. If you have to go from terminal 8 to terminal 6, it might be something of a walk, which you'd have to do because there isn't a shuttle (as far as I know). But, you won't be arriving at terminal 8, since that's pretty much reserved for UX. So, a transfer between terminal 7 and terminal 6 is as far as you'd have to go.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the potential for a late arrival from BOS than I would be about the transfer time between gates at LAX.

Originally Posted by Zudnic
Does this create un-necessary risk for my bags?
Quick anecdote: I recently flew from FCA to PHX to connect to a flight to DEN on HP and arrived slightly behind schedule. I got to my gate in PHX in time to see the plane at the gate, but the jetway had already been pulled and I was bumped to the next flight out, some 2 hours later. So, imagine my surprise when my bag was already waiting for at DEN! How my checked bag made the plane when I couldn't (and I husteld!) is beyond me!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by iapetus
Yes, as choster said, all of the UA terminals are connected airside, so you won't have to clear security at LAX. If you have to go from terminal 8 to terminal 6, it might be something of a walk, which you'd have to do because there isn't a shuttle (as far as I know). But, you won't be arriving at terminal 8, since that's pretty much reserved for UX. So, a transfer between terminal 7 and terminal 6 is as far as you'd have to go.
Be careful when you go from 7 to 6 -- there is a lot of construction and the signs might not be clear. You will have to cross against a lot of people who are leaving terminal 6. They are going down the stairs to baggage claim - you don't want to do that!
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:48 pm

Ted to Delta in lax-tunnel still avail.

sorry but not to interupt you, I'll be arriving from Las on Ted conx. to DL for JFK. Does anyone know if the tunnel between the two terminals is still open. I prefer not to have to go through sec. if at all possible.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:31 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by jkazski
sorry but not to interupt you, I'll be arriving from Las on Ted conx. to DL for JFK. Does anyone know if the tunnel between the two terminals is still open. I prefer not to have to go through sec. if at all possible.
The tunnel is closed.

Last Thanksgiving I flew SDF-ATL-LAX-MEL. I had purchased a temporary NW WC membership for my previous trip and this one. Got to ATL and used the Crown Room, no problems.

DL flight to LAX arrived into T6. CO President's Club in T6 was closed being thanksgiving and no way to reach T5 to use the Crown Room as I planned on using this temp membership to pass the time at LAX.

Thankfully I now have Qantas Club membership and am a OW Emerald, so I can use the Intl lounges over at TBIT and T4...

Unfortunately you'll have to exit and re-clear security unless your DL flight is departing from T6. DL seems to be using a few gates at T6 - anything is possible.

SDF_Traveler
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by jkazski
Just walked by the tunnel entrance in T6 an hour ago and it was open.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL
Haven't seen an update lately, so here we go...

Tunnel between T5 and T6 was open this morning (Nov 12).

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
From what I could tell, the T4/T5 tunnel was open on Thursday; I didn't check T5/T6, but maybe I will give the Presidents Club a buzz tomorrow and ask. It would be good if they reopened this tunnel.
Tunnel between T4 and T5 was blocked off.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:27 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by pilottim747
Haven't seen an update lately, so here we go...

Tunnel between T5 and T6 was open this morning (Nov 12).

Tunnel between T4 and T5 was blocked off.
I flew into T5 a few days ago and asked a gate agent if the tunnel was open. They said it closes at 11pm (it was 11:30pm). I decided to check it out anyways. The escalators down to the tunnel were still operating, so I rode them down. At the bottom I walked around a corner towards the hallway and saw two doors that were closed shut.

So it looks like the tunnel is only open before 11pm.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by anthonyanthony
I flew into T5 a few days ago and asked a gate agent if the tunnel was open. They said it closes at 11pm (it was 11:30pm). I decided to check it out anyways. The escalators down to the tunnel were still operating, so I rode them down. At the bottom I walked around a corner towards the hallway and saw two doors that were closed shut.

So it looks like the tunnel is only open before 11pm.
When I walked from T6 to T5 in the tunnel there was a TSA employee at the 1/2 way point where there are some security doors. Since the tunnel apparently has to be supervised its not surprising that it is only up until 11pm.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:45 pm

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
MCT at LAX between Terminal 1 and 2.

There are a lot of threads in the other forums about MCT, but they are mainly Airline specific such as the one on the United forum.

Thanks to Air NZ stuffing around with flights, I can no longer catch the NZ5 I am booked (but not ticketed) on. I need to change to the earlier NZ1.

I am currently scheduled to arrive on US308 at Terminal 1 at 18:00 on a Saturday, and will need to catch NZ1 at 19:45.

Is the 1:45 outside the MCT for connecting from a US domestic to the NZ International (will my bags make it?) I will be in business on NZ1 (and *G), so is there a fast track security lane in Terminal 2?

Or is the MCT 2 hours or more?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Gotta Requalify
There are a lot of threads in the other forums about MCT, but they are mainly Airline specific such as the one on the United forum.

Thanks to Air NZ stuffing around with flights, I can no longer catch the NZ5 I am booked (but not ticketed) on. I need to change to the earlier NZ1.

I am currently scheduled to arrive on US308 at Terminal 1 at 18:00 on a Saturday, and will need to catch NZ1 at 19:45.

Is the 1:45 outside the MCT for connecting from a US domestic to the NZ International (will my bags make it?) I will be in business on NZ1 (and *G), so is there a fast track security lane in Terminal 2?

Or is the MCT 2 hours or more?

Thanks in advance.
Not sure what your question is - what is MCT?

Terminal 1 is 100 meters from terminal 2.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:03 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
MCT is Minimum Connection Time.

The terminals involved are irrelevant for MCT, and in the case of Air NZ the rule is very simple: MCT is 2 hours for all NZ international flights.

So you are not meeting the MCT required by NZ, with all that this implies. In terms of practicality, LAX has sometimes had bad delays due to the closure of 1 runway for rebuilding (making do with only 3 runways open). While 1:45 will work most of the time (and the ground transit is not a problem at your time of day), there is some chance of air traffic control flow delays of over 2 hours for the US flight into LAX (not likely, but possible). So I would definitely want to be protected by MCT on NZ.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
FWIW: First and Biz security lines at T2 have been inconsistent for a while. Lately, there has been an elite line at the bottom of the escalators to get to security, but once up in the maze to each screening line there is no designated line for elites. You'd think with biggies like VS, NZ, NW, AF & KL using T2 they would have things better organized. But it's LAX. AZ's lounge looks great though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.