Search

Consolidated "Living in / Moving to Las Vegas - Questions & Suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:54 am

How much cost diesel and petrol?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kettle1
This is not correct. House prices are up. LAS does not have the highest unemployment. My home I purchased 15 years ago is worth more now. Yes, I should have sold in 2007 to max out. I did not, and do not regret it for a second. I live in a very nice house.

As for as moving to LAS: OP needs skills (or a trade) and a green card.

Good luck!
2007?? I'm kicking myself for not selling in 2006--I saw the writing on the wall, I just didn't realize how far things were going to fall. Things were already on the way down in 2007.

If we are not #1 on unemployment who is?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
If we are not #1 on unemployment who is?
Actually, BLS unemployment statistics report Las Vegas metropolitan statistical area at just 7.2% (much lower than I expected), which ranks 321 out of 387 in terms of unemployment for Feb'15 - so pretty far from the bottom (although non-seasonally-adjusted which probably skews unemployment much higher for MSAs with significant agriculture). You are likely correct that there is no MSA with higher population that has higher unemployment, but this could also be looked at as an arbitrary result of how MSAs are chosen.

Also, note that the Las Vegas MSA actually has about the same unemployment as the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim MSA (7.0%).
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by kettle1
This is not correct. House prices are up. LAS does not have the highest unemployment. My home I purchased 15 years ago is worth more now. Yes, I should have sold in 2007 to max out. I did not, and do not regret it for a second. I live in a very nice house.

As for as moving to LAS: OP needs skills (or a trade) and a green card.

Good luck!
You were right not to sell, Kettle. Houses become homes when you are living in them. People get mixed up from the news that house prices are falling or rising. If you live in your home for any length of time you'll make money when you sell, if you sell as prices over time always increase. And prices on everything are relative to wages in the area.
I agree that anyone moving to any new city better have skills that fit that city. Do your homework on what's available before making a decision. Do you have skills that fit LAS? if so you'll find a job.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:30 am

Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stefs12
Diesel is not sold by most stations and since I have no use for it I don't watch the price. I just passed a place selling gasoline for $2.65/gallon cash price (many stations have a small spread between cash price and credit price.) Note that this is below normal, typically it would be in the ballpark of $3.50/gallon.

Originally Posted by Area51FG
You were right not to sell, Kettle. Houses become homes when you are living in them. People get mixed up from the news that house prices are falling or rising. If you live in your home for any length of time you'll make money when you sell, if you sell as prices over time always increase. And prices on everything are relative to wages in the area.
I agree that anyone moving to any new city better have skills that fit that city. Do your homework on what's available before making a decision. Do you have skills that fit LAS? if so you'll find a job.
The swing here was pretty extreme. The woman across the street lost over $100k on her place when she had to sell to move into an assisted care place. She had lived there several years.

Had we sold out and switched to renting near the market peak (and I correctly called the peak, I just failed to realize the size of the cliff on the other side) we would have pocketed at least a quarter million dollars after selling, moving and renting costs.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 23, 2020 at 12:14 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:11 am

what are the strangers?
More advice?

I heard that there is anywhere to buy diesel?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I heard that there is anywhere to buy diesel?
Diesel is available, it's just not very many stations that sell it.

Followup: I just passed a station that sells diesel--for 10 cents/gallon more than gasoline.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 23, 2015 at 4:37 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by gengar
Actually, BLS unemployment statistics report Las Vegas metropolitan statistical area at just 7.2% (much lower than I expected), which ranks 321 out of 387 in terms of unemployment for Feb'15 - so pretty far from the bottom (although non-seasonally-adjusted which probably skews unemployment much higher for MSAs with significant agriculture). You are likely correct that there is no MSA with higher population that has higher unemployment, but this could also be looked at as an arbitrary result of how MSAs are chosen.

Also, note that the Las Vegas MSA actually has about the same unemployment as the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim MSA (7.0%).
Also, the bulk of LV's high unemployment is in one sector: Construction. In all other sectors it's pretty normal.

If Resorts World actually restarts Echelon, construction unemployment could fall back to normal in a few months.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:07 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I have a job offer in Henderson. It's a great position that I am enthusiastic about.

I have been to Vegas about 20 times, I typically stay downtown or the strip and then do my thing outside of the strip. I like the feeling of the city even though it's auto dependent and endless stripmall after stripmall. Nevadians have an edge to them that I like and I love the desert and merciless heat (I will never again live in a climate that has winters like Chicago or any points north). I had a ld relationship with a woman studying at unlv so I know a bit about apts, movement, local nightlife.

But I never really went to Henderson. I gravitate towards older, grittier, lower middle class neighborhoods, or in places with unique housing stock like warehouses or silly land uses like this (scan 180 deg behind and up). But of course I don't mind fancy, if the price and 'vibe' is right.

I want commute minimized but I'll drive if I have to, bonus for going against traffic (which I imagine is the case if I live central Vegas kinda area)

Therefore I'd have to be in Henderson seems a bit suburbanized and planned. Kinda like Phoenix, which I find boring, although the creative scene is getting better. Can a cur find a suitable home and lifestyle in Henderson? I like museums, freak culture, art galleries, drinking at galleries, nature, saving money, and of course travel.

Any thoughts/info/data points welcome. I just got this offer and I dunno where to begin.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by cur
I have a job offer in Henderson. It's a great position that I am enthusiastic about.

I have been to Vegas about 20 times, I typically stay downtown or the strip and then do my thing outside of the strip. I like the feeling of the city even though it's auto dependent and endless stripmall after stripmall. Nevadians have an edge to them that I like and I love the desert and merciless heat (I will never again live in a climate that has winters like Chicago or any points north). I had a ld relationship with a woman studying at unlv so I know a bit about apts, movement, local nightlife.

But I never really went to Henderson. I gravitate towards older, grittier, lower middle class neighborhoods, or in places with unique housing stock like warehouses or silly land uses like this (scan 180 deg behind and up). But of course I don't mind fancy, if the price and 'vibe' is right.

I want commute minimized but I'll drive if I have to, bonus for going against traffic (which I imagine is the case if I live central Vegas kinda area)

Therefore I'd have to be in Henderson seems a bit suburbanized and planned. Kinda like Phoenix, which I find boring, although the creative scene is getting better. Can a cur find a suitable home and lifestyle in Henderson? I like museums, freak culture, art galleries, drinking at galleries, nature, saving money, and of course travel.

Any thoughts/info/data points welcome. I just got this offer and I dunno where to begin.
Lived in Henderson up until late 2014. Henderson is pretty much the suburbs of Vegas, its where the people move to with kids and families. There's really not any art galleries/ museums, etc. in the area. You'd probably be happier being closer to UNLV for the kind of culture you're looking for. I did my graduate studies there and its in a pretty good location where you can go to the strip when you want to drink/visit galleries, etc.

Summerlin is probably the best place for nature/outdoors, just because of its proximity to Red Rock, although from Henderson you also have easy access to the Lake Mead Recreation Area which has some awesome hikes.

Traffic wouldn't be bad at all if you lived near the strip/UNLV and worked in Henderson, since you'd be going against traffic. Traffic isn't bad at all in Vegas, as long as you avoid the "Spaghetti Bowl" near downtown, at the interchange of the 15 and 515.

As far as travel goes, there are few places that are better to live for cheap travel than LAS. That's the one thing I miss more than anything after leaving there. Because everyone flies into Vegas on the weekend, you can gets flights leaving for the weekend for dirt cheap, especially on the ULCCs like Allegiant and Spirit. While we lived there we took weekend trips to FLL for $80 r/t, Jackson Hole (via IDA) for $56, Glacier National Park (via FCA) for $72, San Diego for $28. I'd love to move back some day.

Enjoy Vegas, its an awesome place where you can find whatever you're looking for. Also, if you're into gambling, be careful. I was surprised how many people I met there who got in way over their heads with it. If you struggle at all with pulling yourself away from the tables or slots when you go to visit, consider holding off while you live there.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 10, 2016, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Traffic isn't bad at all in Vegas, as long as you avoid the "Spaghetti Bowl" near downtown, at the interchange of the 15 and 515.
Especially for the next couple years

http://www.ndotprojectneon.com/learn/overview/
Old May 11, 2016, 12:24 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Lived in Henderson up until late 2014. Henderson is pretty much the suburbs of Vegas, its where the people move to with kids and families. There's really not any art galleries/ museums, etc. in the area. You'd probably be happier being closer to UNLV for the kind of culture you're looking for. I did my graduate studies there and its in a pretty good location where you can go to the strip when you want to drink/visit galleries, etc.

Summerlin is probably the best place for nature/outdoors, just because of its proximity to Red Rock, although from Henderson you also have easy access to the Lake Mead Recreation Area which has some awesome hikes.

Traffic wouldn't be bad at all if you lived near the strip/UNLV and worked in Henderson, since you'd be going against traffic. Traffic isn't bad at all in Vegas, as long as you avoid the "Spaghetti Bowl" near downtown, at the interchange of the 15 and 515.

As far as travel goes, there are few places that are better to live for cheap travel than LAS. That's the one thing I miss more than anything after leaving there. Because everyone flies into Vegas on the weekend, you can gets flights leaving for the weekend for dirt cheap, especially on the ULCCs like Allegiant and Spirit. While we lived there we took weekend trips to FLL for $80 r/t, Jackson Hole (via IDA) for $56, Glacier National Park (via FCA) for $72, San Diego for $28. I'd love to move back some day.

Enjoy Vegas, its an awesome place where you can find whatever you're looking for. Also, if you're into gambling, be careful. I was surprised how many people I met there who got in way over their heads with it. If you struggle at all with pulling yourself away from the tables or slots when you go to visit, consider holding off while you live there.
Thanks for this. Yeah the dame lived in Harmon+Eastern area, diverse and close to good stuff but still not my kinda hood. I'm looking for a barrio kinda area, where I can sit on the porch and drink beers after work. Where are the pre-WWII homes, if that even exists in a city that only really made moves after WWII?

Are there any rich fancy areas that are not gated suburbs and have nice architecture and landscaping? My god the 60s 70s suburbs actually have giant gravel pits where I guess the grass once went.

Is Downtown worth living in? I know of the improvements on freemont between neon city and atomic liquors (many a sloshed night at salon of beauty and that containerland is just so ridiculous and just...vegas) but is there really anything else?

I'm fine with apartments especially apartments with pools and balconies, and I see this as the best value in Paradise/Vegas area. What do yall call Paradise anyways? South Vegas?

I love poker but I have other hobbies. And being that the object of poker is to win money I prefer to play poker in places where people suck, like Houston South Africa and Canada. The quality of players in Vegas is very high. Tournaments are fun, but, yeah. I never really gamble a lot in Vegas.
Old May 14, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
there are PLENTY of homes for sale in what used to be "nice" neighborhoods that are now amazing values in Las Vegas. Not "barrio" type places but these were where the folks making money in the 50's -70's lived and they have mostly dies out or moved to fancier gated communities. Look at "Scotch 80's" Look around the Rancho area, look at the area between Sahara and Bridger.

Also look around the area towards the east (Silverado Ranch area) where Wayne Newton has his Casa De Shenandoah. Huge nice homes on big lots which are much cheaper than the home in the newer developments. Not cheap-but very good prices for what you get. These will be closer to where you will be working.

The only thing is there are lots of other folks looking to park money in these places as temporary investments.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Las Vegas Housing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.