Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Living in / Moving to Las Vegas - Questions & Suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 6:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by kyrielsn
Henderson/Green Valley Ranch area is safest/best, runner up is SW & Summerlin/NW. Stay away from the NE, Nellis & all downtown for residency...
I just MySpace blogged about the least/most ghetto WalMarts. The most ghetto WM's are on/adjacent to Nellis. The least ghetto was the WM at 215&Rainbow, which I would not describe as ghetto at all, even the employees seemed normal. YMMV.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kyrielsn
Henderson/Green Valley Ranch area is safest/best, runner up is SW & Summerlin/NW. Stay away from the NE, Nellis & all downtown for residency. The strip area is the only traffic nightmare, otherwise navigating away from strip area is no headache.
I would not recommend summerlin unless one is not going to work anywhere else in the valley.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by missydarlin
... but that Air Conditioning bill might bankrupt you
I'd imagine the electric bills in LAS are similar to here in PHX. Yes, the electric can be $250-300/month for 3-4 months a year. But in Dec-Jan, it is usually $80/month. Most other months it is about $120-150. This is for a 2150 sq ft home + pool. I have gas heat, and it may be $70 for one month, the rest around $30.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neither an offer has been made, nor accepted, but discussions are progressing more quickly than I would have anticipated.

Looking at Zillow.com & various Las Vegas MLS sites, I'm shocked to find such affordable housing (relative to Washington DC, of course). Are there any communities or specific neighborhoods that aren't cookie-cutter (i.e. clearly planned communites) & housing is sub $300k for a 3+bed/2.5+bath that has lots of trees (which may be a lot to ask for in the desert?). I know that LAS is a "young" housing market with a lot of recent builds market & I'm coming from the DC area where my last house (rented) was built in the 1940's (WWII housing) and had lots of old growth trees, etc. Any specific zip codes that I should be focusing on?

I currently commute 15 miles to my office now, so commuting doesn't bother me that much. I don't specifically know where the office is located, but may be heading out there soon to scope the area & meet some people.

Also, anyone have a good real estate agent that they'd recommend in the area? All the online ads seem really sketchy. If I get an offer and accept, I'll have about a month of hotel living that they'd probably pay for before I'd find a place. I'm okay renting month to month if I had to, but as I'd anticipate at least 2 years in the area, if not longer, I'd rather just buy a place. I'm currently renting, so I don't have to wait to sell to buy.

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2008, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
... Are there any communities or specific neighborhoods that aren't cookie-cutter (i.e. clearly planned communites) & housing is sub $300k for a 3+bed/2.5+bath that has lots of trees (which may be a lot to ask for in the desert?). I know that LAS is a "young" housing market with a lot of recent builds market & I'm coming from the DC area where my last house (rented) was built in the 1940's (WWII housing) and had lots of old growth trees, etc. Any specific zip codes that I should be focusing on? ...
One year ago I stopped my 28 mile one-way commute...and now work just one mile away. It improved my life quality. That said...Boulder City (89005) doesn't have much of a cookie-cutter feel. Many people say they want to live in Boulder City, but don't seem willing to accept a decades old house's inefficiencies when they can buy a brand new Henderson house for tens of thousands less.

Southern Nevada's real estate market is far different from anything I was accustomed to in my native Wisconsin.

I'll give you a day tour of southern Nevada neighborhoods, if you'd like.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your "lots of trees" criteria is certainly asking a lot. To meet it you'll need a house in one of the older neighborhoods. Those generally have large lots and are thus pricey.

3 + 2.5 for under $300k is no problem otherwise so long as you aren't too close in.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sunnyhere
I'll give you a day tour of southern Nevada neighborhoods, if you'd like.
If a job offer is made & accepted, I'd love to take you up on that!
Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Your "lots of trees" criteria is certainly asking a lot. To meet it you'll need a house in one of the older neighborhoods. Those generally have large lots and are thus pricey.

3 + 2.5 for under $300k is no problem otherwise so long as you aren't too close in.
That's what I was figuring, unfortunately. Still, it's not a dealbreaker - just a wish. Big fan of natural shade - especially in the desert!
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:16 pm

if you want trees and shade, you can look in some of the older areas of green valley...quail summit and quail terrace are both very Midwestern appearing (quail ridge estates is way more pricy) although both of those neighborhoods would have been above your price range a year ago, they are now within it. also look at Section 10, an area on the other side of town. I think you will be shocked at what you can currently afford.

Boulder City is great, but it is a bit of a commute, depending where you are going to work.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it's official! I'm moving to Vegas!

I got an offer the other day & verbally accepted it on Friday (still have to sign the paperwork though).

I decide to not buy a house as yet as I'm only planning on staying for about 2 years (at this time -that could change later on down the road and then I'll consider buying). Looking at the market, it's a great time to buy if you're going to live there for an extended period of time, but if you're planning on staying two years & moving, it doesn't seem like a good idea at this time.

Thanks for all the info, everyone! I'll be making the move sometime between 9/27 & 10/11, I think. Looking forward to any FT gatherings in the area. We do DC Monthly Happy Hours in the DC area - are there any events like that in LAS?
Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:10 am

Well, it's official! I'm moving to Vegas! ..
Congratulations! We look forward to a new FTer in our mist. Lately, we've been a little lax in "official" FT gatherings, though unofficial gatherings remain fairly common.

I decide to not buy a house as yet as I'm only planning on staying for about 2 years
I never expected to stay here eleven years...maybe its grown on me? Of course, I have no idea what your housing budget will be, but lots of people are finding it more sensible to rent a single family house, as opposed to a place in an apartment complex. It seems many people are losing their single family homes and moving into apartments.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My plan is to rent a SFH for my time there. I've been seeing places that don't seem to bad as low as $1000/mo - if you include utilities, etc, I'm looking to go for no more than $1500/mo all-in. I could afford more, but I'm also interested in saving as much as possible given the fact that I'll want to buy something eventually. I figure I'm a single guy with a dog, so a house is better than an apartment - looking for a 3 bed/2bath so there'll be places for visitors.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:52 am

Programs: Long Live NWA Silver Elite,Delta Silver Medallion
Thumbs up Congrats!

Congrats on the new job!

While I'm older and don't live in LAS, I learned a lot about the LAS real estate market. My wife and I are going to buy a second home/condo somewhere and LAS was discussed. I am still concerned about water shortages long term. (Yeah, I know the Hoover Dam is next door...).

Good to know so many FTers pitched in on this thread. One more example of why this is a special community.

Michael
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it's official! I'm moving to Vegas!

I got an offer the other day & verbally accepted it on Friday (still have to sign the paperwork though).
Congrats!
Old Sep 12, 2008, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I figure I'm a single guy with a dog, so a house is better than an apartment - looking for a 3 bed/2bath so there'll be places for visitors.
Okay, who's planning the bhatnasx DO!?

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.