Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Living in / Moving to Las Vegas - Questions & Suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:30 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Ironically, the same day you posted this, I put my home purchase plans on vacation for another 3 months for similar reasons. When you come back in August, I will *still* be an unwanted house guest somewhere
Today, I noticed a neighboring house came on the market. Now, it wouldn't be the lifestyle you're accustomed to...but it's cheap! Actually, I'm thinking of buying it, myself! Considering my own home is paid for, it shouldn't be too difficult to swing another one!
Old Jul 5, 2007, 1:49 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by Sunnyhere
Today, I noticed a neighboring house came on the market. Now, it wouldn't be the lifestyle you're accustomed to...but it's cheap! Actually, I'm thinking of buying it, myself! Considering my own home is paid for, it shouldn't be too difficult to swing another one!
Single wide or double?

How little is it going for?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Single wide or double?

How little is it going for?
LOL, Double: $159,000.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Here's the latest from today's LVRJ on the housing market in the valley: http://www.lvrj.com/business/8516877.html
Old Jul 15, 2007, 2:14 pm

Las Vegas' housing market is not yet near the bottom, despite claims from some real estate agents that the worst is behind us, Andrew Pugh of SellFastLV.com said.

Pugh said he's uncomfortable making predictions, but if pressed, he'd have to say we're in for at least a couple of rough years ahead.

Ouch! Of course, it's not so easy to predict the top of markets or the bottom.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelScholar
We're looking forward to no more freezing!! ...or at least long, cold, endless winter. ...and especially escaping this small town and the midwest!!
On the flip side hope you're doing okay on the issue of Desert Heat.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Need a new home? Feel like bidding on a foreclosure? L.V. home auction this Sunday: http://www.lvrj.com/business/8890817.html
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:50 pm

Sorry to rehash an old thread but...

Can anyone give an update as to how the LV Real Estate market is doing? With the strength of the Canadian dollar (relatively speaking), I wouldn't mind considering getting an investment/vacation property in LV. I read that California's taking a beating but have only heard bits about Nevada. Just trying to stay informed as this point as I'm not sure if the bottom has been reached yet.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Living in Las Vegas

I'm considering a position in Vegas (which will get me off the road as I've been traveling weekly for almost 3 years now). The pay is about a 30% increase over what I'm making now & the job would be very demanding and present new (and welcomed) challenges, and I think it'd be a good opportunity (I'm 29 and I've been in the same department in my company since I was 23 - it's time to move on).

The only thing that concerns me is living in Vegas. I've been in the DC area for all of my life and the desert climate seems insanely hot. I've been told its only bad in from June to August & the rest of the year, it's pretty nice.

For those of you who have moved to Vegas, how do you like it? Is it a place that you plan on staying for a few years (i.e. worth buying instead of renting?)? Upsides/downsides?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:21 am

There was a similar thread a month or two ago, I'll try finding it. I moved here eleven years ago, at age 30, from Madison, Wisconsin. Originally I thought my stay would be three-five years, now I'm thinking it could be my "forever" place.

It's hard to describe the Las Vegas culture...hmm...lots of lying, cheating, stealing...lots of meth use, teen pregnancy, suicide...little value placed in education and planning.

Still, there must something I like: certainly the plentiful sunlight, cheap living, population diversity and other things I'm not recognizing.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:28 am

I've been in the DC area for all of my life and the desert climate seems insanely hot. I've been told its only bad in from June to August & the rest of the year, it's pretty nice.
Those three months can be brutally hot, and the winters are cold, but seldom freezing.

Some folks believe its the ideal buying time in Las Vegas, as there are tens of thousand of distressed properties on the market or coming to market. Personally, I would encourage folks to consider downtown Las Vegas condos, high-rise and otherwise.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:30 am

I don't live in Vegas so I can't answer that end (although I will probably have a second home out there one day), but real estate there is really soft right now. If you're thinking you're going to be there for a least a few years I would surely take the gamble and buy as it seems things will have rebounded by that time. Dude, you're 29 and you're stuck in a rut. I'm 27 and own my own business but can think of little worse than having an unfulfilling work life at our age. If not now, when? I'd go for it.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

18 year resident, 15 year homeowner.

The summer is brutally hot but it's a dry heat and every place is air conditioned. I've spent basically my entire life in such heat, it's never been that big a deal. You minimize your outside time during those months, that's all.

I would be inclined to hold off on buying a house, though--I think we still have ways to go before we hit bottom.

One thing--don't come here if you have a gambling problem.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 10:52 pm

Wife and I moved here 3 years ago. We really like it. Yea traffic can be tough at rush hour but where isn't these days? Cost of living is pretty low overall. No state taxes, but you will pay a higher vehicle registration fee than most states. I do not find the weather to be all that bad. Yes it is hot but unless you work outdoors its not an issue. We live in the Northwest part of the valley so we are usually 5 - 7 degrees cooler than the strip. We bought our house last year. I think it is a great time to buy here. We live in a community that is still under construction. From September through May the builder really slowed down construction, only building three houses a month. Now they are back up to about 7 per month and yes they are all selling, and selling fast. Usually they are occupied within 2 weeks of completion.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you would like more specific information
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:35 am
Original Poster

I don't mind the heat. I lived in the northeast and the upper midwest before moving here. Mind you, I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT SNOW AND COLD WEATHER, so I'll gladly take the Las Vegas summers over those winters. I always tell people back east who wonder how I can stand the summers out here that I don't have to bundle up and shovel the heat off my car in the morning!

In any case, I've been living in Vegas since January of 2007, and I've been loving every minute of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.