Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Living in / Moving to Las Vegas - Questions & Suggestions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Living in / Moving to Las Vegas - Questions & Suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Thank you for the reply. I had known of that flood from various google searches I did but I was unaware of the extent of it. Looks absolutely crazy, something to think about.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
October 2015 on the Strip

strife likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Desert regions have little capability to store, slow or soak up much if any rainfall. Because there is so little rain, few plants grow sustainably so once rain falls, the water then flows away and either accumulates in places with no outlet (dry lake beds) or, as shown in Zorak's pictures, continue to flow and flood. The amounts of water we are talking about may be as little as an 1/8th of an inch (3 mm) but because it falls and has nowhere else to go, will run downslopes (note the large alluvial fans to the west and east of Las Vegas), in to and through the valley.

David
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.